Hot as hell

Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:44 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hot as hell

Originally Posted by snowbunny
An average Texas summer....

gotta be honest, though, we had an extremely mild and rainy June and July, so the return of "normal" August weather sucks. Still, we all reckon we got off lucky this year to have forestalled summer until August.
I couldn't believe how green Texas was when I visited several weeks ago. Fort Hood/Killeen area is usually brown and dry, but it was more like Ireland -- well, perhaps that's an exaggeration . The temperature was great too -- it was actually cooler down there than it was up here in Virginia.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
People back home complain about it being humid. It's just nothing like the overpowering humidity we have here at the moment.
haha folks back home haven't a clue what the humidity is like here. 100% humidity here today and highs forecast of 106f....not a healthy environment at all
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:55 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha folks back home haven't a clue what the humidity is like here. 100% humidity here today and highs forecast of 106f....not a healthy environment at all

I do feel for you, I so couldn't live in Texas or anywhere in the South it would kill me!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:57 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
When I first visited Memphis I would literally drench my shirt with sweat walking from the car to the shops.

Folks back home also think Air Conditioning isn't needed and is a luxury! Hah!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Morning Frank.

I like the American 2 night rule.
Gotcha on that one. I'm always looking forward to visitors, then they start to bitch about "Why is it called this, why do Americans do that etc etc". 2 day rule sounds about right.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
yesterday afternoon when I left work it was 95F & 85% humid... 1.5 mile walk to Union Station.... by the time I got their I looked like I done a marathon.... nasty nasty weather.

what makes it worse too ... is that the aircon in my office can't handle the equipment generating heat so its 85F in there most of the day too.... with 4 different fans and an extractor.
I find my walk to the station to be very pleasant, though wearing shorts and flipflops to work probably helps
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Listen, compared to me (at least yesterday), horses simply "glow". It was just rancid here yesterday!
Accepted,its hot here today its got up to 73 degs,as I said elsewhere, time to go and lie down in the deep freezer in the garage.!!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Neathborn
I couldn't believe how green Texas was when I visited several weeks ago. Fort Hood/Killeen area is usually brown and dry, but it was more like Ireland -- well, perhaps that's an exaggeration . The temperature was great too -- it was actually cooler down there than it was up here in Virginia.
We went down to Victoria about a month ago, I thought it would be baking, but it wasn't much different to here.

I was suprised being in Texas, most of the restaurants, stores we went to and our hotel, had the a/c cranked down very low, and the locals really seemed to like it. We even slept under the thick duvet at night. It was nice.

Last edited by Gtsnapper; Aug 8th 2007 at 5:34 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 5:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
When I first visited Memphis I would literally drench my shirt with sweat walking from the car to the shops.

Folks back home also think Air Conditioning isn't needed and is a luxury! Hah!
memphis is damn hot! (and humid)

always seems to be 3-4 degrees hotter than nash vegas...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:07 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irn-bru

I do feel for you, I so couldn't live in Texas or anywhere in the South it would kill me!
ah but our winters are mild very low heating bills makes up for the high cost of a/c in the summer, we just go from a/c houses to a/c cars then on to a/c stores lol its 98 here right now with 33% humidity
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
I was suprised being in Texas, most of the restaurants, stores we went to and our hotel, had the a/c cranked down very low, and the locals really seemed to like it. We even slept under the thick duvet at night. It was nice.
Yes, many places keep it extremely cold .... I always feel somewhat wasteful if/when I do this at home, but hotels especially seem to crank out the cold air. Movie theatres are expected to be ultra-cool.

I suppose that was one of my big culture shocks -- shopping in the London suburbs when it was far over 30 C outside. SHOPS WITHOUT AIRCON?! I noticed that it made me NOT want to shop at all, and therefore did most of my shopping in Marks & Sparks because it DID have aircon.

Who wants to try on clothes when you're dripping with sweat from walking outside between shops?!
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Bunch of bloody whiners
Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:54 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
wow, should of given me advance notice... I could have got a cab out to a bar...

its now after midnight and still 89f!

the thing is, humidity here is a lot more than the Uk but seems a lot less than boston, chicago and anywhere in florida... (based on me visting those places several times)

people in nashville have a simple mantra

if the day has a 'y' in it - head down the local for a drink...
prolly not the best idea for a truck driver on duty mate......
Am now back in Little Rock AR.
it seems even hotter.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:23 am

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
ah but our winters are mild very low heating bills makes up for the high cost of a/c in the summer, we just go from a/c houses to a/c cars then on to a/c stores lol its 98 here right now with 33% humidity
I know we did that in VA which was good for a while as I hate heat
But thats what I like about here you get your very hot days but then you get a break for a while so its just nice and you can go out and do things outside which is lovely.

And since we are on the coast the winters are pretty mild here not too much snow etc (obviously not like Texas )

But if you love heat and hate Winters can understand why anyone would love the South
Old Aug 9th 2007, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Y
I suppose that was one of my big culture shocks -- shopping in the London suburbs when it was far over 30 C outside. SHOPS WITHOUT AIRCON?! I noticed that it made me NOT want to shop at all, and therefore did most of my shopping in Marks & Sparks because it DID have aircon.

Who wants to try on clothes when you're dripping with sweat from walking outside between shops?!
Thank you!!
I feel the UK needs aircon just as much as some parts of the states.
London, we stayed for a week in August once, was insufferable with the heat.

I brought back my portable air/con with me and was so glad I did.