Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horsey people in the US?

Horsey people in the US?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Horsey people in the US?

My company also does lease to own, but there's a big contract with conditions attached to that. You are likely better off finding a young horse that needs some training, and paying for that training instead. You can always buy a young'n and find a decent trainer to help get him ready.

Hell, you could buy a young'n, board it at a barn where riding lessons are given, and allow the barn to use your horse in their program. They would train it during use and it would cost you nothing extra.

Also, US barns make you sign an all inclusive "you cant sue us, ever" kind of legal agreement before they take your horse or let you ride on site. You can view ours here:

http://lebocagestables.com/pdf/rider_waiver_1page.pdf

Under most state laws, barns are covered against damages from injury while riding, but they all have the riding waivers like I linked you to make sure all rights are thoroughly screwed. Its something to consider before you ride, know your rights and be warned, if you fall or get hurt, you are very much on your own.

If you ride English, you will likely still be able to find a barn in your area that does that kind of training / lessons. You can even save money by getting a western horse and retraining it for English saddles/reigns.

Last thing, get to know the staff, be friendly, and help out at barn events, etc. After a while it will pay off and you will find yourself paying less than other customers or not having the price increases applied to your account every year.

Originally Posted by Sue
What he said.

Basically he's covered most of it.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:33 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnolan1337
You can lease horses in the US for pretty much the boarding costs. For boarding, you can either get your own land, stall, and DIY it, or you can board a horse for anywhere from 300 to 1500 a month, depending on the boarding location.

The way our clients lease their horses is that the leaser covers some or all of the boarding and a % of the medical fees, and in return they get preferential use of the horse whenever they require it.

You would need to locate barns in the region you are moving in to, in order to get quotes and prices. Also, western and pleasure horses are far cheaper to purchase than racing and English saddle horses. You can pick up a decent pleasure ride horse for a couple thousand, if you are willing to train the horse yourself.

Agree with all that is said except the last sentence..
you can pickup a good well trained pleasure horse for a lot less than a couple of thousand...
Old Jul 13th 2011, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lol I said you can get western AND pleasure horses for cheaper than you can English saddle. Ie, you can get an English pleasure for cheap, but once you start looking for a specific type of English riding experience, ie hunter or dressage, the prices get recockulous.

Originally Posted by candy wy.
Agree with all that is said except the last sentence..
you can pickup a good well trained pleasure horse for a lot less than a couple of thousand...
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:40 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Lol I said you can get western AND pleasure horses for cheaper than you can English saddle. Ie, you can get an English pleasure for cheap, but once you start looking for a specific type of English riding experience, ie hunter or dressage, the prices get recockulous.

yep the price dose get ridiculous...... but hey when in America do as the Ameicans do
Old Jul 13th 2011, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

yep the price dose get ridiculous...... but hey when in America do as the Ameicans do

I'll certainly give it a try, but could definitely not give up English though....maybe I need 2 horses
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

My company also does lease to own, but there's a big contract with conditions attached to that. You are likely better off finding a young horse that needs some training, and paying for that training instead. You can always buy a young'n and find a decent trainer to help get him ready.

Hell, you could buy a young'n, board it at a barn where riding lessons are given, and allow the barn to use your horse in their program. They would train it during use and it would cost you nothing extra.

Also, US barns make you sign an all inclusive "you cant sue us, ever" kind of legal agreement before they take your horse or let you ride on site. You can view ours here:

http://lebocagestables.com/pdf/rider_waiver_1page.pdf

Under most state laws, barns are covered against damages from injury while riding, but they all have the riding waivers like I linked you to make sure all rights are thoroughly screwed. Its something to consider before you ride, know your rights and be warned, if you fall or get hurt, you are very much on your own.

If you ride English, you will likely still be able to find a barn in your area that does that kind of training / lessons. You can even save money by getting a western horse and retraining it for English saddles/reigns.

Last thing, get to know the staff, be friendly, and help out at barn events, etc. After a while it will pay off and you will find yourself paying less than other customers or not having the price increases applied to your account every year.
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who've replied, there's been some great advice, just what I needed.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:28 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by chez33
I'll certainly give it a try, but could definitely not give up English though....maybe I need 2 horses
I have no idea were you are going to be living but maybe that is an option.. My horses are used for pleasure riding mostly in the mountains. I must admit I have had no desire to ride English... maybe you could look at barrel racing or roping as a new interest..
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Decided what state and county you are locating to? I may be able to locate an English barn or two in that area.

Also, English events in the US are governed by:

USHJA
USEF

Both are online if you are interested in viewing their content. You usually also get a state level governing body, and a regional one too. For example, my barn is subject to:

USHJA
USEF
ACHJA
THJA
LHJA

LOL theres a lot of horse associations here.

And dont get unexcited, theres plenty of English discipline in the US, especially in Kentucky, Washington State, Louisiana, and New York State.

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who've replied, there's been some great advice, just what I needed.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here she is......it will break my heart leaving her.
Wow, those photos are gorgeous! I love the one in the snow. I just love horses, period.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Decided what state and county you are locating to? I may be able to locate an English barn or two in that area.

Also, English events in the US are governed by:

USHJA
USEF

Both are online if you are interested in viewing their content. You usually also get a state level governing body, and a regional one too. For example, my barn is subject to:

USHJA
USEF
ACHJA
THJA
LHJA

LOL theres a lot of horse associations here.

And dont get unexcited, theres plenty of English discipline in the US, especially in Kentucky, Washington State, Louisiana, and New York State.
Wow thanks that's great! we're more than likely going to Asheville in NC. Have had a look and there does appear to be a couple of good 'barns' around but if you can advise on good ones that's be great
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Wow, those photos are gorgeous! I love the one in the snow. I just love horses, period.

Rene
She'd been stuck in her stable for 3 days due to the snow, she went NUTS when we turned her out and a friend of mine, who happens to be a professional photographer, got loads of fabulous photo's.
I'm gonna miss that horse so much, it actually hurts too bad to think about :-(
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

couple more of snow ones..
Attached Thumbnails Horsey people in the US?-dsc_3305.jpg   Horsey people in the US?-149048_1691473175783_1506361424_1639027_914452_n.jpg   Horsey people in the US?-154755_1691464975578_1506361424_1639019_4646085_n.jpg  
Old Jul 13th 2011, 9:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

couple more of snow ones..
Absolutely lovely!! Thank you for sharing the pics.

Rene
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:18 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

How many did you have at the last count 54 was it ...thats a full time job in its self looking after them.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:06 pm
staying around

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
How many did you have at the last count 54 was it ...thats a full time job in its self looking after them.

12 foals this year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.