Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Horsey people in the US?

Horsey people in the US?

Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Horsey people in the US?

Are there any horsey people on here living in the US? If so can you tell me the differences? e.g full livery, DIY how do the prices/services differ from here.
Also is it easy to Loan/share?
Basically how does it all differ from here? what do I need to be aware of.

Many Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:55 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Horsey people in the US?

the half horse option is cheapest
Attached Thumbnails Horsey people in the US?-image001.gif  
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

chez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of lightchez33 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ray
the half horse option is cheapest

Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chez33
Are there any horsey people on here living in the US?
Yes ...

If so can you tell me the differences?
Can you tell the difference?
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

dnolan1337 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can lease horses in the US for pretty much the boarding costs. For boarding, you can either get your own land, stall, and DIY it, or you can board a horse for anywhere from 300 to 1500 a month, depending on the boarding location.

The way our clients lease their horses is that the leaser covers some or all of the boarding and a % of the medical fees, and in return they get preferential use of the horse whenever they require it.

You would need to locate barns in the region you are moving in to, in order to get quotes and prices. Also, western and pleasure horses are far cheaper to purchase than racing and English saddle horses. You can pick up a decent pleasure ride horse for a couple thousand, if you are willing to train the horse yourself.

Are there any horsey people on here living in the US? If so can you tell me the differences? e.g full livery, DIY how do the prices/services differ from here.
Also is it easy to Loan/share?
Basically how does it all differ from here? what do I need to be aware of.

Many Thanks
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dnolan1337
You can lease horses in the US for pretty much the boarding costs. For boarding, you can either get your own land, stall, and DIY it, or you can board a horse for anywhere from 300 to 1500 a month, depending on the boarding location.

The way our clients lease their horses is that the leaser covers some or all of the boarding and a % of the medical fees, and in return they get preferential use of the horse whenever they require it.

You would need to locate barns in the region you are moving in to, in order to get quotes and prices. Also, western and pleasure horses are far cheaper to purchase than racing and English saddle horses. You can pick up a decent pleasure ride horse for a couple thousand, if you are willing to train the horse yourself.
Thank you!! think I might get bored doing western all the time, but it's been 20 yrs since I trained a horse so not so sure I'm up to it!!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Our local shelter has a few trail horses up for adoption around 10yrs old. The adoption fees range from $200 to $500 at present.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Our local shelter has a few trail horses up for adoption around 10yrs old. The adoption fees range from $200 to $500 at present.

Sounds great....I'm not there yet though! probably be 6mths to a year, can I ask you then?

I currently have a rescue that I would probably bring with me if only they'd let me as I adore her
Old Jul 12th 2011, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Here she is......it will break my heart leaving her.
Attached Thumbnails Horsey people in the US?-p1010320-copy.jpg   Horsey people in the US?-149048_1691473055780_1506361424_1639025_2181869_n.jpg  
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:06 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

One of the other things to put on your to-do list is to check into DEFRA requirements regarding pets being brought back to the UK, as you mentioned bringing other animals and said that if things didn't work out for you, you would just return. While it is pretty straightforward to bring dogs/cats into the US, as long as you ensure they are vaccinated for rabies, there are stringent requirements for taking them back to the UK.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
One of the other things to put on your to-do list is to check into DEFRA requirements regarding pets being brought back to the UK, as you mentioned bringing other animals and said that if things didn't work out for you, you would just return. While it is pretty straightforward to bring dogs/cats into the US, as long as you ensure they are vaccinated for rabies, there are stringent requirements for taking them back to the UK.
I will, thanks. I'm trying to go with the attitude that it will work out though! at least until the animals have snuffed it
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Just checked out the DEFRA website and don't think it would be any harder to bring them back than to take them, in fact from January 2012 it will be even easier
Old Jul 12th 2011, 6:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Just checked out the DEFRA website and don't think it would be any harder to bring them back than to take them, in fact from January 2012 it will be even easier
Yes, it is indeed going to get easier and quicker! The blood test period will be very rapid now.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Why did I think this was a thread about Maine?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 1:51 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dnolan1337

What he said.

Basically he's covered most of it.

There are small differences between barns, but overall its the same thing. You can own/lease/part-lease etc, etc, and boarding costs can differ depending on how much you want them to do.

I've very new to the horsey world, only been riding for 18 months, and never rode in the UK, so can't can't make any comparisons between the two. But it seems that the places I've ridden are pretty flexible and accommodating.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.