British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Horse transport from UK to Florida and recomendation of Dog Transportation companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/horse-transport-uk-florida-recomendation-dog-transportation-companies-893488/)

RCMUM21 Mar 6th 2017 11:26 am

Horse transport from UK to Florida and recomendation of Dog Transportation companies

Hi,

We will be moving to Florida in June/July time frame. We have two French bull dogs we will be taking with us, Can anyone recommend a company or ones not to use?

We are trying to decided if we should bring my daughters pony. Has anyone moved their horse? How was the trip for the horse? What company did you use? Approx cost??

Thanks in advance!

Jerseygirl Mar 6th 2017 12:03 pm

Re: Horse transport from UK to Florida and recomendation of Dog Transportation compan

Always a good idea to take a look in the BE Wiki.

Bringing Pets : British Expat Wiki

There have been several threads about moving pets...including horses. If you use the BE search engine you should be able to find them.

You may have problems finding an airline that will transport snub nosed dogs...especially to Florida in the summer months. Try Google...

http://www.pettravel.com/blog/index....nub-nosed-pet/

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...aspx#shortnose

RCMUM21 Mar 6th 2017 12:06 pm

Re: Horse transport from UK to Florida and recomendation of Dog Transportation compan

Thank you, I have read the BE Wiki articles on bringing pets, was looking for any first hand experience. I will try the search engine for horses. Thanks again!

KK85 Mar 6th 2017 12:11 pm

Hi, RCMUM21.

I started a thread very recently about moving my cat later this year - some people on there have been very generous in their sharing of experiences, and have also included links to their experiences moving dogs. Here it is, if you'd like to take a look: http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...cation-889726/

I appreciate that a cat is neither a dog nor a horse, but there are some good references to recommended shipping companies and some decent general information. Good luck with your move!

Jerseygirl Mar 6th 2017 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by RCMUM21 (Post 12198241)
Thank you, I have read the BE Wiki articles on bringing pets, was looking for any first hand experience. I will try the search engine for horses. Thanks again!

Apologies...I added a couple of links to my previous post which you may not have seen ;)

Pulaski Mar 6th 2017 12:20 pm

We have had a handful of people reporting bringing a horse over, and as far as I remember it costs £10,000+.

Jerseygirl Mar 6th 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by RCMUM21 (Post 12198241)

I'm out and about using my phone or I would pull up a few threads for you.

boltonreddave Mar 6th 2017 12:42 pm

Hi,

We moved a horse to Pittsburgh in March. The transport by road from JFK to Pittsburgh was arranged locally just by searching online. The air transport and customs etc was through a company called Pedens Bloodstock (or mersant int in the US).

As an indication the air transport cost us almost $10,000 and that was just to the east coast.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.

scrubbedexpat099 Mar 6th 2017 4:36 pm

Probably better to sell and buy ine over here, can not imagine transporting a pony would be cost effective.

RCMUM21 Mar 6th 2017 4:43 pm

Thank you! Have read up the links about snub nosed breeds. I have contacted the company we used to bring our dogs here 9 years ago (different dogs) and it looks like they can make accommodations but we will need to drive to a further away airport to pick them up.
As for the horse, that is about what I was thinking in cost, Think it is time to break it to my daughter that it would not be fair to bring the pony due to the long trip, and high cost.
Thanks again

jellybean_17 Mar 9th 2017 3:43 am

Hi,

For the dogs I recommend PetAir UK - very straight forward and they are really helpful.

For the pony - totally do-able! If a gelding its cheaper and simpler but still not a major drama for a mare. Feel free to message me for more details and companies i'd recommend. If you fly the pony to JFK the have hauled down to Florida (approx 14 hours) it works out cheaper than flying them into Miami. ETA in the UK are very competitively priced and then horseflight for the US side.

As for how the pony handles it - will be a little tired if hauling across the US from where they fly to but they handle it well. The flight over and care given is great. Depending where you move to though, the horse world in the US is very different to the UK.

Pulaski Mar 9th 2017 4:09 am

Originally Posted by jellybean_17 (Post 12200558)
..... If you fly the pony to JFK the have hauled down to Florida (approx 14 hours) .....

Well it's 14 hours to Florida, ..... without any traffic or accidents, ..... if you don't stop, ..... and can cruise at 70-75mph, ..... and if you're only going to Jacksonville. With traffic, stops, a slower speed, and further south and or west and you're looking at 20-22 hours.

RCMUM21 Mar 9th 2017 1:02 pm

Thank you again for all your responses. After reading up on keeping horses in Florida, we have decided not to bring the pony. I am just not sure she will cope with the heat, the long flight and 30 day quarantine.

petitefrancaise Mar 9th 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by RCMUM21 (Post 12200924)
Thank you again for all your responses. After reading up on keeping horses in Florida, we have decided not to bring the pony. I am just not sure she will cope with the heat, the long flight and 30 day quarantine.

I think the complete change in climate is a very important consideration. We brought our dog from France to Texas, southern France also gets fairly hot so not such a big difference but she has found it difficult here. Allergies for one, she became hyperallergenic (if that is even a word!) hayfever first, then dermatological problems. She is now on an expensive restricted diet, needs chlorhexidine wash 2x a week, needs medications to keep the derm problems at bay and in the summer months her beautiful coat has to be really, really short to stop her getting heat rashes and fungal infections. We don't leave her outside like we used to either due to nasty coyotes in the area, the summer heat and really nasty ants in the grass which get there even with treating the grass. Not to mention the snakes and the skunks.......

In all, I think her quality of life has suffered but on the other hand, not sure we had a choice. As a mongrel,albeit a beautiful one, it would have been difficult to find a home for her in France and then the kids would have been devastated too.

My daughter rides horses here - it's a very "precious" sport. Expensive and very competitive in all kinds of ways. My daughter doesn't have her own horse and it took us almost 2 years to find a stable for lessons/half lease that didn't want her to commit to competitive riding with costs of at least $1k a month. She just wants to ride.

Bozza Mar 9th 2017 5:01 pm

I used PetairUK for my Border Collie to come with me to the States, great company to deal with and looked after my dog from pickup to being boarded. Then updated me on his flight and then American Airlines took over and they were excellent looking after him all the way to Raleigh, NC.
I think I paid around 2000 GBP all in with passport, Defra checks, crate and flight etc