Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Originally Posted by Hayley2207
Thanks so much for your reply,I'm amazed you know Dunstable! Good to hear that you think it's on a similar par with SR. Are you able to give any recommendations on neighbourhoods within SR?
A5 M1 was a well worn route back in the 80's from MKeynes. No real info on SR from me except that upper penisula area in general is nicer and a little cheaper than the Bay area although that may now have changed. I like it but it can be quite parochial in areas for some.

I would use Redfin as a good identifier and indicator of the general area. Its a well used and well known website here:
https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/95409

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 15th 2016 at 9:09 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

I went to a wedding up in Hopland last year, it's nice up there, but clearly not much going on. We stayed in Ukiah, which is a reasonable size, but pretty quiet as well, and then you are further north, and more isolated from heading to SF for the day.

I'd say that Santa Rosa (or Petaluma/Novato) is a much better idea. Santa Rosa is pretty nice, we stopped there on the way to eat, and there's a nice downtown area.

Note that there was bad traffic south of this area so being in Santa Rosa and going north may not be so bad.

I'm sure Santa Rosa is going to be hotter than hell in the summer, so make sure you have full house A/C.

Also sonic.net does Gigabit internet for something like $50/month in Santa Rosa, which is amazing by US standards.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 12:45 am
Just Joined

Hayley2207 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vikingsail
A5 M1 was a well worn route back in the 80's from MKeynes. No real info on SR from me except that upper penisula area in general is nicer and a little cheaper than the Bay area although that may now have changed. I like it but it can be quite parochial in areas for some.

I would use Redfin as a good identifier and indicator of the general area. Its a well used and well known website here:
https://www.redfin.com/zipcode/95409
Ah-ha,not too much has changed then,Dunstable is still at a stand still every time there's an accident on the M1.

Great tip with Redfin,thank you so much! I'm already hooked on browsing it!
Old Apr 16th 2016, 12:49 am
Just Joined

Hayley2207 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by McBadger
I went to a wedding up in Hopland last year, it's nice up there, but clearly not much going on. We stayed in Ukiah, which is a reasonable size, but pretty quiet as well, and then you are further north, and more isolated from heading to SF for the day.

I'd say that Santa Rosa (or Petaluma/Novato) is a much better idea. Santa Rosa is pretty nice, we stopped there on the way to eat, and there's a nice downtown area.

Note that there was bad traffic south of this area so being in Santa Rosa and going north may not be so bad.

I'm sure Santa Rosa is going to be hotter than hell in the summer, so make sure you have full house A/C.

Also sonic.net does Gigabit internet for something like $50/month in Santa Rosa, which is amazing by US standards.
Petaluma and Novato are two places we hadn't heard of,we'll look into them over the weekend-thank you. Great tip with the Internet-I'm jotting that down as I know it will be chaos when we move and we won't have the time to hunt things out straight away.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful about going too far as the 101 is notoriously bad for traffic during working hours. Hopland will be very quiet so Santa Rosa is a good option. It's a lovely town and has great restaurants. You'd also be close enough to SF, Napa and Marin County for recreation and fun. I love Marin as it reminds me of England with rolling green hills and rain. Bodega Bay and the area around Point Reyes are spectacular.

Craigslist is a really good resource for finding rentals.

Last edited by Matt Sabre; Apr 16th 2016 at 2:27 am.