Reload this Page >

Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Hayley2207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Hi guys,

My husband has been offered a promotion which would mean relocating to California. The role is based in Hopland so I'm looking for advice on what the area is like/any towns nearby that could be a good option for us to move to. We have a ten month old son so good amenities for children would be a huge draw.

I'm just looking for a bit of guidance on where the 'nice' areas are really. We'd be renting at first and a commute of up to sixty minutes would be fine.

Thanks so much,

Hayley
Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopland, California and surrounding areas

Are you already somewhere in the US so familiar with how things work here, or are you talking about relocating from the UK and this is your first ex-pat experience? (Just so people know how to help you.)
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Are you already somewhere in the US so familiar with how things work here, or are you talking about relocating from the UK and this is your first ex-pat experience? (Just so people know how to help you.)
Sorry,I should have said,we're in the UK. Neither of us have ever lived abroad before. Also should have mentioned that I will eventually take a role with the same company but would spend the first year at home with our son.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

And I should have said, welcome to BE! I'm sure that folks who are familiar with CA will be along to help you. Good luck on the move.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

I think if people knew roughly what kind of budget you had in mind, they could probably help with more info.

City-data.com is also a handy resource for info on town areas.

You mention promotion, so it's a company transfer? That would be a L1, which means you'd get a L2 and can apply for a EAD, which would allow you to work. If this is with a new company, it would probably be a H1B, which means you getting a H4 and not being allowed to work, unless you got your own visa in your own right.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Welcome to BE and good luck!

I think if people knew roughly what kind of budget you had in mind, they could probably help with more info.

City-data.com is also a handy resource for info on town areas.

You mention promotion, so it's a company transfer? That would be a L1, which means you'd get a L2 and can apply for a EAD, which would allow you to work. If this is with a new company, it would probably be a H1B, which means you getting a H4 and not being allowed to work, unless you got your own visa in your own right.
Thanks,Bob. Yes,it's a move within the same company. I thought that was the case regarding my position to work but the confirmation is definitely appreciated-there's an awful lot of information to take in reading through the different types of visa.

Budget for renting would be around $2,500 a month. When we come to buy (when we're sure we're in the right town) we'd be looking at around $570,000.

Thanks so much for your help :-)
Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hopland's population is 800 people, according to wikipedia. Where are you in the UK right now? Best wishes
Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Well Wikipedia has already been mentioned but here is the link:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopland,_California

I think Hopland is in one the nicest 'small town' America areas you could find.

I have added another interesting link which hopefully will inform you about the local area:

Welcome - Hopland Research and Extension Center

Good luck on your decision making. Personally, a much nicer area than the ultra urban complex of the SF Bay area yet just near enough to visit if you want to dip into all the Bay area offers without having to grind out a daily life there.

Last edited by vikingsail; Apr 13th 2016 at 8:37 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at Hopland many years ago when the Fetzer Winery had a bed and breakfast establishment there.

Very small town, north of Santa Rosa/Healdsburg area on the way to Mendocino.

Very pretty area, main industries used to be Mendocino brewing, small wineries and vacation venues.

Down south is the Napa Valley area.

Would be interested to know what company has transferred OP to this area.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I stayed at Hopland many years ago when the Fetzer Winery had a bed and breakfast establishment there.

Very small town, north of Santa Rosa/Healdsburg area on the way to Mendocino.

Very pretty area, main industries used to be Mendocino brewing, small wineries and vacation venues.

Down south is the Napa Valley area.

Would be interested to know what company has transferred OP to this area.
I was interested in that info as well. I can hope since brewing is the main industry that perhaps, just perhaps.....its a US branch of:

https://www.blacksheepbrewery.com/

Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley2207
Hi guys,

My husband has been offered a promotion which would mean relocating to California. The role is based in Hopland so I'm looking for advice on what the area is like/any towns nearby that could be a good option for us to move to. We have a ten month old son so good amenities for children would be a huge draw.

I'm just looking for a bit of guidance on where the 'nice' areas are really. We'd be renting at first and a commute of up to sixty minutes would be fine.

Thanks so much,

Hayley
Google "hopland California images" and you can see many photos. It looks like a very nice area.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds tranquil
Old Apr 14th 2016, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Hi all,

He works for Concha Y Toro who own Fetzer,the new role is with Fetzer.

Hopland does indeed look beautiful but I think it might be a bit too quiet for us. We currently live in Dunstable, a small town (35,000 people) thirty miles north of London. There are three supermarkets,a handful of restaurants,a small shopping centre and lots of activities for children (a zoo three miles away,two petting farms within five miles,several children's centres and countless parks).

My husband was told yesterday that a lot of Fetzer employees live in Santa Rosa and commute. SR seems more suited to us,just need to find potential neighbourhoods now. It's tricky to get information through his company as he is being bought in through the Chilean Head Office who have little knowledge of it,by the time he gets talking to colleagues in USA he will have accepted the job and we'll be on a countdown to moving so we're just trying to get ahead of the game.

Thank you all for your replies,really appreciated.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hayley2207
Hi all,

He works for Concha Y Toro who own Fetzer,the new role is with Fetzer.

Hopland does indeed look beautiful but I think it might be a bit too quiet for us. We currently live in Dunstable, a small town (35,000 people) thirty miles north of London. There are three supermarkets,a handful of restaurants,a small shopping centre and lots of activities for children (a zoo three miles away,two petting farms within five miles,several children's centres and countless parks).

My husband was told yesterday that a lot of Fetzer employees live in Santa Rosa and commute. SR seems more suited to us,just need to find potential neighbourhoods now. It's tricky to get information through his company as he is being bought in through the Chilean Head Office who have little knowledge of it,by the time he gets talking to colleagues in USA he will have accepted the job and we'll be on a countdown to moving so we're just trying to get ahead of the game.

Thank you all for your replies,really appreciated.
I think Santa Rosa is nice as well but comes with more of the day to day that accompanies most larger US urban environments. I know Dunstable, its not a bad comparison to make with Santa Rosa. My vote would be Hopland but then I want the peace and quiet
Old Apr 15th 2016, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikingsail
I think Santa Rosa is nice as well but comes with more of the day to day that accompanies most larger US urban environments. I know Dunstable, its not a bad comparison to make with Santa Rosa. My vote would be Hopland but then I want the peace and quiet
Thanks so much for your reply,I'm amazed you know Dunstable! Good to hear that you think it's on a similar par with SR. Are you able to give any recommendations on neighbourhoods within SR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.