Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hoping to take my Ohio driving test tomorrow

Hoping to take my Ohio driving test tomorrow

Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to take my Ohio driving test tomorrow

LOL
Old Nov 25th 2008, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
She told me that only licenses from an approved list of countries were valid for skipping the temporary license part of the process, and 'England' wasn't in the list of countries. I pointed out to her that the country of issue of my license was the United Kingdom, and surprise surprise, the United Kingdom IS on her list

That's interesting, when I went to get my fingerprints taken for the N400 they didn't have a UK designation but used EN a little galling for a Scot, you would think government agencies would be on the same page wouldn't you

So in the end she said fair enough....you just turn up next door tomorrow and run through everything then, and they will give me my license. The only thing is that because I only have the temp I-551 (stamped visa) they will only give me a license that expires one year from my entry stamp (makes sense). They said after I get my actual green card and SSN I should pop back and they will give me the 4-year license.
That was the same with my first licence in AZ so there is some uniformity
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing is that because I only have the temp I-551 (stamped visa) they will only give me a license that expires one year from my entry stamp (makes sense). They said after I get my actual green card and SSN I should pop back and they will give me the 4-year license.
No, no, no, don't do it. I fought them at 2 different places on that. You can get a full 4 year license based off the stamp or receipt of application for a greencard. They kept telling me that I could only base it off my EAD because I didn't have the physical greencard but after much arguing and a couple of calls to Columbus they approved a 4 year license. By the way, don't get the license at the place next to the test center, they are usually packed on testing days and the staff get grumpier.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
a) No, no, no, don't do it. I fought them at 2 different places on that. You can get a full 4 year license based off the stamp or receipt of application for a greencard.

b) don't get the license at the place next to the test center, they are usually packed on testing days and the staff get grumpier.
a) So if I get them to call Columbus, they should confirm that I can have a 4-year license right off?

b) So where else can I go, then?
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:16 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

there is a list of licenceing offices on the ohio site. they are usually seperate offices to the test offices (although often next door) BUT there are more licence offices around on their own - so you might even find one closer to home than the test centre - we did.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

a) So if I get them to call Columbus, they should confirm that I can have a 4-year license right off?

b) So where else can I go, then?
a) Yes, and keep on at them until they agree to give you a 4 year one.

b) Deputy registrar offices are where you get the license, you can go to any. You just need the paperwork you get after your test and the documents to prove who you are, etc. There is a listing on the BMV website. http://bmv.ohio.gov/county/dr_locs.htm
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I called Columbus twice about the one year vs four year license thing, spoke to different people each time.

They both said I am only good for a one year license as that's how long the only immigration docment I have is good for. If I ask the local BMV office to call Columbus, it seems they are going to get the same answer.

So it looks like I have no choice but to roll with it then change the license again once I have my actual green card. Oh well.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby already had his GC when we moved to OH. It was the 2 yr conditional card. They only made his OH license good for the remaining 18months on his 2 yr card. But you're getting the 10yr card right off the bat right? So you may be able to swing that 4yr license.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I called Columbus twice about the one year vs four year license thing, spoke to different people each time.

They both said I am only good for a one year license as that's how long the only immigration docment I have is good for. If I ask the local BMV office to call Columbus, it seems they are going to get the same answer.

So it looks like I have no choice but to roll with it then change the license again once I have my actual green card. Oh well.
You need to make them understand. You have the I-551 stamp which means your immigration status is permanent resident which does not expire. The dates are merely when the PROOF of that status expire. That's the key point you need to make them understand, and somebody will eventually. Your status as permanent resident is not expiring at the date, just the document that proves it is expiring. Same thing goes with the conditional card. It's the card that expires, not your immigration status.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Duncan, I want them to understand too....but if they are of a certain opinion, and their escalation point is also of the same opinion.....I don't see where else I can go with it.

In any case I went down there, it was quiet, I took the eye, computer and skills (road) test and got a license valid for a year minus one week (I arrived in the US seven days ago). When I get the green card and my SSN I'll go back and change it for the 4-year license.

Another thing off my to-do list! Yay! And I do look such a handsome fellow on the license.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:00 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Shaolin_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

a) Yes, and keep on at them until they agree to give you a 4 year one.

b) Deputy registrar offices are where you get the license, you can go to any. You just need the paperwork you get after your test and the documents to prove who you are, etc. There is a listing on the BMV website. http://bmv.ohio.gov/county/dr_locs.htm
Well hang on a bit, has this changed?? I applied for my drivers license in 2006 - i had a state id since 05. i have a 10 year license not a 4 year.

ps, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but this has me puzzled now.

ps, for those that are taking the test in ne ohio, the test in elyria is so simple that my 2 yr old could pass!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon
ps, for those that are taking the test in ne ohio, the test in elyria is so simple that my 2 yr old could pass!!!!
If it weren't that easy, most in Elyria would have to get about on foot.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon
Well hang on a bit, has this changed?? I applied for my drivers license in 2006 - i had a state id since 05. i have a 10 year license not a 4 year.
Then you may have a problem! I don't know anyone who has had more than a 4 year license. I think once upon a time they did give 10 year ones, but at least not in my wifes driving lifetime which is 13 years or so.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:23 pm
Cymru Am Byth!!!

Shaolin_Dragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Then you may have a problem! I don't know anyone who has had more than a 4 year license. I think once upon a time they did give 10 year ones, but at least not in my wifes driving lifetime which is 13 years or so.
Yeah, your right, just checked the license. it is 4 years. i was thinking of my GC - sorry mate!!!

I'm used to the UK lifetime driving license!!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that you passed that Elyira test?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.