Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hoping to move back to us

hoping to move back to us

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough
Default hoping to move back to us

Hi Everyone
just wonderd if anyone has moved back to us from uk I have a 10 year green card.
Wife has uk spousal visa after 4 months here in feb we are hopeing to move back to Usa.
Has anyone done this we have our money in Us bank account kept us driver's licence have somewhere to live.
If I get back in will apply for citezenship and wait till granted before leaving us again
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hopeing to move back to us

Originally Posted by michael rothwell
Hi Everyone
just wonderd if anyone has moved back to us from uk I have a 10 year green card.
Wife has uk spousal visa after 4 months here in feb we are hopeing to move back to Usa.
Has anyone done this we have our money in Us bank account kept us driver's licence have somewhere to live.
If I get back in will apply for citezenship and wait till granted before leaving us again
As your wife is a USC and you already have a Green Card...I am moving your thread over to the US Forum.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Everyone
How long since you left the US?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
How long since you left the US?
The OP has stated 4 months.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

LPR since 2005 this is longest time out of US
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

People are asking about the length of your departure because eventhough you have a "10 year Green Card" the reality is that it is only valid while you are 'resident' in the United States. If you move overseas, technically the moment you abandon residence in the US the Green Card is no longer valid, but the reality is that if you have been overseas < 6 months you will not encounter any difficulty. If you have been overseas 6-12 months than you may have to show that you maintained a residence in the USA, kept bank accounts, were paying bills, etc. If over 12 months, then the presumption is you have abandoned residence and you have to go out of your way to prove to the immigration folks that you have not. This is all under the concept of "Green Card Abandonment" which you can see on Google.

As for the particulars, you might want to move back before the six month period expires, just to make it a bit easier on you coming into the USA.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

swsprime is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hoping to move back to us

Hi Mike,
Just a side question - Is getting citizenship as expensive as getting a green card? My green card cost me $5000.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for the advice
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swsprime
Hi Mike,
Just a side question - Is getting citizenship as expensive as getting a green card? My green card cost me $5000.
Try reading the guide to naturalization from the USCIS website.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,
Ballpark, around $700 give or take.

Definitely want to move back before the 6 month mark so you don't reset the clock towards eligibility if nothing else.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:30 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike,
Obtaining US Citizenship should be nowhere near that amount. That was one expensive green card!! Filing the N-400 and biometrics is less than $1,000.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you've only been outside the USA for 4 months, then yes, you have an excellent chance of getting back in the USA using your green card.

You'll have to read the USCIS guide to naturalization to see how to meet the requirements for filing an N-400.

Rene
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene and everyone else for your input