Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hoping to emigrate to usa

hoping to emigrate to usa

Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

melly1765 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation hoping to emigrate to usa

Can anyone out there help us? My friend and I are part of two families who are hoping to emigrate to America. We have applied for green cards via the green card lottery and we are looking into the work permits but are very confused by it all.
Can anybody offer any advice?
Has anybody been offered a green card via the lottery?
Would we be best seeking legal help?
Does anyone know if there is a maximum age for entry into the USA?
Any advice at all would be most appreciated.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:35 pm
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

You know that British citizens are excluded from the Green Card Lottery right? Only the Irish are eligible.

I suggest you search previous posts, these questions crop up regularly, and suggestions / solutions already exist within these pages.

Good luck.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hoping to emigrate to usa

Originally posted by melly1765
Can anyone out there help us? My friend and I are part of two families who are hoping to emigrate to America. We have applied for green cards via the green card lottery and we are looking into the work permits but are very confused by it all.
The green card lottery is not open to people from the UK, except from N Ireland.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Olek is an unknown quantity at this point

I am one of the fortunate ones who has won the 'green card' via the lottery...... to be more precise it was my wife who was born in Poland, but now lives in London with me, who won the green card. I got the green card through my wife.

Being born in England did not make me eligible to enter the lottery.

We are now planning our move over to the states, but have decided not to sell up here in England. We have decided to rent a 2 bed apartment in Orlando for the first year and see how things go ... in particular finding work )
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

......Does anyone know if there is a maximum age for entry into the USA?
I am not aware of a legal maximum, but given the cost of health care in the US, IMHO anyone would be foolish to emigrate to the US if they are approaching (less than ten years from), and certainly if they are past, retirement age, .... unless they wanted to carry on working.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:31 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Pulaski, isn't this the time for you to re-type your classic "there are seven ways to enter the United States" post? It's been at least... oh - a week since I've seen it".

Obviously it's not posted itself this time
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:40 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JerseyBoy

Seven ways to enter the United States
Sounds like a song title - Seven ways to enter the United States

Slip out the back Jack (study)
Find a new plan Stan (buy a business (e2))
No need to be coy Roy (marry the bitch (k3)
Hop on a bus gus (and find someone to marry you (k1)
Drop off the key Lee (sponsored by employer)....

Patrick

They have now changed the original 50 ways to leave your lover by S & G to 51 ways to leave your lover - tell her gay Ray

Last edited by Patrick; Sep 17th 2003 at 1:51 am.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone out there help us? My friend and I are part of two families who are hoping to emigrate to America. We have applied for green cards via the green card lottery

Please tell us you did not pay one of the scam companies to enter the green card lottery..
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
I am not aware of a legal maximum, but given the cost of health care in the US, IMHO anyone would be foolish to emigrate to the US if they are approaching (less than ten years from), and certainly if they are past, retirement age, .... unless they wanted to carry on working.
Oh Shit!!!! now my hero tells me !!! Well past!!!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

The lottery is for increasing diversity in the US. Therefore, it does not include Great Britain, Canada, Mexico, etc. countries with high rates of immigration to the US. Also, please be careful and read through the official immigration website of the US (BCIS) first.

Last edited by jaytee; Sep 17th 2003 at 6:58 am.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Patrick
Sounds like a song title - Seven ways to enter the United States

Slip out the back Jack (study)
Find a new plan Stan (buy a business (e2))
No need to be coy Roy (marry the bitch (k3)
Hop on a bus gus (and find someone to marry you (k1)
Drop off the key Lee (sponsored by employer)....

Patrick

They have now changed the original 50 ways to leave your lover by S & G to 51 ways to leave your lover - tell her gay Ray

That was the stuff of genious, Patrick- Literally! I think you should re-post that everytime someone wants advice on how to move to the US.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by ray6
Please tell us you did not pay one of the scam companies to enter the green card lottery..
No not that daft, actually filled in application on US immigration web site.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jaytee
The lottery is for increasing diversity in the US. Therefore, it does not include Great Britain, Canada, Mexico, etc. countries with high rates of immigration to the US. Also, please be careful and read through the official immigration website of the US (BCIS) first.
Just been back onto the US immigration web site, as when we filled in applications clicked on UK as country of birth, checked again and clicked on Great Britain this time and it still states that we are qualified applicants for green card lottery program. Can someone please explain?
Old Sep 17th 2003, 12:28 pm
Ray

Just been back onto the US immigration web site, as when we filled in applications clicked on UK as country of birth, checked again and clicked on Great Britain this time and it still states that we are qualified applicants for green card lottery program. Can someone please explain?
Give us the URL you used.. the official site does not open until the 1st November...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

The 2005 lottery does not include GB or UK look at this link it clearly shows the European countries that are eligible.

http://travel.state.gov/dv2005.html

Rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.