Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homosexuals and America

Homosexuals and America

Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuals and America

Originally Posted by User Name
Opps. I've edited my post to reflect that ...
oh, and while I remembered, another advantage of the uni route for an H1B, it's dual intent so can apply for greencard at the same time, and also there's none of that bugger off for a year home residency requirement that J1's normally come with....and with a uni position, wouldn't have to worry about getting the visa and waiting around for it to be issued out in Oct the following year.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:47 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homosexuals and America

Originally Posted by Bob
oh, and while I remembered, another advantage of the uni route for an H1B, it's dual intent so can apply for greencard at the same time, and also there's none of that bugger off for a year home residency requirement that J1's normally come with....and with a uni position, wouldn't have to worry about getting the visa and waiting around for it to be issued out in Oct the following year.
I just remember that scientists lapped up J1s. Used them to get a post-doc for a couple of years ... but that they had to watch out and not overstay, they could overstay by applying for an extension, but would have to pay tax on their earnings. A J1 typically meant a tax free salary at a nice swank American university doing research until you drop. Best years of many a scientist's life.

As to going away for a year - water off a ducks back. Post-docs do stints at different research places - in one lab-research center for 2 years in country ABC, another for 1 year in country XYZ ... another one in a different country for 1.5 years, etc. Post-docs are always planning for their next move ... up until they get a permanent position. So one year out of the USA is par the course ... goes with the territory of many a post-doc. Some get off the treadmill earlier than others, some stick at it for a decade or more. I knew of a post-doc couple who agreed to at least have post-docs in the same country. So a J1 on a time fuse is fine. Anyways, not hard to get permanent residence if a university coughs up a permanent position. Happens in reverse in the UK. Countries always seek to attact scientific talent, the normal barriers are easily waived by a country in the public interest. Same goes for paying tax. Believe it or not, but there are numerous examples of tax dispensation authorizations allowing PhD candidates to earn money without paying tax to attract science students to take up PhDs. Many a PhD candidate had tax dispensations from HM Inland Revenue.

Last edited by User Name; Jan 30th 2006 at 1:55 pm. Reason: Added info