Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by Sally
Gosh I'd love to be paying my old Council Tax instead of the Property Tax here - maybe it's lower where you are.
me to, it was as cheap as chips compared to here
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:33 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The difference is Bru...you are always supportive, informative, pleasant and funny as are most of the Americans who frequent these forums. OK we all get tetchy every now and then...but not on a constant basis.
I don't know about the 'always' bit ...but thank you!

Just was trying to be diplomatic (but when I usually do that it can be read the wrong way but hey makes life here more interesting )
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
I pay $700 a year and I have 4 acres and a very large detached house.

but it is in conroe, tx
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Believe me, Council Tax in Lancashire is EXPENSIVE! 1000 quid a year for a small (poky) apartment.

I pay $700 a year and I have 4 acres and a very large detached house.

and they are introducing congestion charge in Manchester......No Bloody Way.
From how I understand it though (I only lived in rented in the US so never paid property taxes directly) property tax and council tax are not entirely directly comparable. Council tax is far more fixed and service based. Property taxes appear to be all over the place in how much they are and what you actually get for them.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
For goodness sake will you change the record - your constant harping on about your simplistic easy "solution" is becoming very tiresome.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
me to, it was as cheap as chips compared to here
Potato chips or french fry chips?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:38 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tootsie Frickensprinkles
From how I understand it though (I only lived in rented in the US so never paid property taxes directly) property tax and council tax are not entirely directly comparable. Council tax is far more fixed and service based. Property taxes appear to be all over the place in how much they are and what you actually get for them.
Property tax appears to mainly pay for education and fire service.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by frrussre
Reg. Frank R.
Proper big chip shop chips!!!!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Reg. Frank R.
real chips frank, real chips... not crisps
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Gtsnapper is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in USA for 3 years now, and enjoy living in the US very much.

It took me a while to adjust to the different work ethic situation and a more relaxing way of life as opposed to a constant "making ends meet" in England.

I can sympathise with people arriving and after a few years becoming unhappy with life here, BUT you have to work at it. I take a yearly holiday with my USA wife to England, visit parents and friends and enjoy it , but at the same time, I am glad to get back on a plane to Texas.

Its so depressing to wake up to grey skies, council tax bills and having to make a choice whether to eat or pay bills, as I used to do in Lancashire.

We live modestly in USA, car & truck 4 acres and detached house paid for, with nice sunshine and very few bills.

England has just become too expensive these days, which saddens me, as summer in England is indeed glorious and wonderful, with days out and watching football or cricket.

Housing costs alone have prompted me to pen this letter, as 100,000 quid for a poky terraced in Lancashire, is quite ridiculous.

If I won the lottery, I'd move to the south coast, but failing that, I'm happy as a sandboy in the USA.
Good to hear you're enjoying living over here.

The only thing I dont miss about Blighty, is living on a small island with too many people on it, and still more people flooding into it. I read somewhere that Britain has a similar density of the entire American population living in California.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
real chips frank, real chips... not crisps
That's just what I'm treating my husband to tonight...real chips amongst other things.
Account Closed

exactly
Account Closed

I guess we should have all moved to China or Russia, maybe North Korea. We would have to keep our mouths shut, never complain & take what we are given, with a grimace or is it a smile?

How dare we not like everything, bloody cheeky immigrants. I say "Give the place back to the Native American Indians."

Reg. Frank R.
Lol K for you Frank
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

The real thing, could do with a real chip sarni right now. The butter melting & mingling gently with the chips.
When we were kids, we bought a Vienna loaf (Like fat french bread) pull out the middle & stuffed with chips, Those were the bad old days!
Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gtsnapper
Good to hear you're enjoying living over here.

The only thing I dont miss about Blighty, is living on a small island with too many people on it, and still more people flooding into it. I read somewhere that Britain has a similar density of the entire American population living in California.
You should not believe everything you read then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.