Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:16 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness "grass is greener" syndrome

Originally Posted by surly
My life couldn't be more hunkier or dorier.

If your life is so miserable what are you doing here, that's the big question. So far I haven't been able to find out. If I was you I'd be back living the perfect life in the UK and would have no interest in any expat forums.

Tell me if this forum is only for whiners and complainers
Its not.. maybe they seem to be the most vocal.

I know I'm not and there are a few around and I try and give a positive comment to threads thats the way to do it I think without putting others or opinions down.

But I think if someone is having a hard time everyone should try and be sympathetic which I think so far everyone is or has been to people having a hard time, as they should be.
If you find this bit depressing you should go to the lounge most there are happy or leave their worries outside and have a laugh or the TIO if you like arguing with people re politics etc.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
Golden Corral and Denny's don't do it for you? You cultural heathen!

Have you ever set foot in a Denny's?
I've never set foot in a Denny's - the sign is scarey
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.............I'll say it again if you don't like it here go back to the UK we all benefit.
For goodness sake will you change the record - your constant harping on about your simplistic easy "solution" is becoming very tiresome.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What I don't understand is if your life if so hunky dorey what are you doing on here?
Letting us know!!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:21 pm
Account Closed

Some times speaking what's on ones mind does rub people the wrong way.
I think comments made by some go way beyond 'what I miss about the UK' into the insulting and offensive to "Yanks" in particular and the US in general.
Which is fine if that's what they feel, however I'll say it again if you don't like it here go back to the UK we all benefit.
How is people complaining hurting you?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Please miss I do

I think quite a few people here seem to generally like life here and not missing out on anything, come for the laughs etc and info etc
Yes but you're not surly
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I haven't said my life is miserable. I have said there are things I miss about the UK but if I moved back there would be things I would miss about the US. FYI I am planning on spending my time between the US/UK/Canada.

You seem to take enjoyment in trying to rub folk up the wrong way...I'm not the first to mention it either.
I agree..there are many things I miss about the UK....seeing the sea from my windows is the main one at the moment
But there would be things I would now miss about the US if we go back.
Referring back to the original post....I find it more expensive here. Just grocery shopping is more than good old Tesco and Asda and the utilities are more expensive than we were paying.
Only OH can work , the rest of us are H4's. That makes a big difference. In the UK my eldest had a Saturday job and I ran my own business. If I wanted some extra money then I worked a bit harder.
Yes, we knew all this when we made the decision to move but actually "living" it is so different to the "anticipation of living it".

When we knew we were possibly moving here we hoped to be put somewhere warmer and where houses were cheaper and we could have several acres. That didn't happen.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
Gosh I'd love to be paying my old Council Tax instead of the Property Tax here - maybe it's lower where you are.
I think there is a much greater variation in house prices and property taxes in the US, compared to the UK. My property tax in rural NC and rural TN was well below $1,000 p.a. My council tax in the UK is over 100 GBP a month. House prices in both places were similarly low (less than $100,000 for a bog standard 3BR ranch in a decent neighborhood).
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:25 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you're not surly
I hope not Though in the mornings....
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
Its not.. maybe they seem to be the most vocal.

I know I'm not and there are a few around and I try and give a positive comment to threads thats the way to do it I think without putting others or opinions down.

But I think if someone is having a hard time everyone should try and be sympathetic which I think so far everyone is or has been to people having a hard time, as they should be.
If you find this bit depressing you should go to the lounge most there are happy or leave their worries outside and have a laugh or the TIO if you like arguing with people re politics etc.
The difference is Bru...you are always supportive, informative, pleasant and funny as are most of the Americans who frequent these forums. OK we all get tetchy every now and then...but not on a constant basis.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I guess we should have all moved to China or Russia, maybe North Korea. We would have to keep our mouths shut, never complain & take what we are given, with a grimace or is it a smile?

How dare we not like everything, bloody cheeky immigrants. I say "Give the place back to the Native American Indians."

Reg. Frank R.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Gosh I'd love to be paying my old Council Tax instead of the Property Tax here - maybe it's lower where you are.
Believe me, Council Tax in Lancashire is EXPENSIVE! 1000 quid a year for a small (poky) apartment.

I pay $700 a year and I have 4 acres and a very large detached house.

and they are introducing congestion charge in Manchester......No Bloody Way.

Last edited by lanky spoken here; Aug 14th 2007 at 8:31 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think there is a much greater variation in house prices and property taxes in the US, compared to the UK. My property tax in rural NC and rural TN was well below $1,000 p.a. My council tax in the UK is over 100 GBP a month. House prices in both places were similarly low (less than $100,000 for a bog standard 3BR ranch in a decent neighborhood).
Yes it does depend where you are living. Which maybe is why people posting here have such vast differences.

We don't have state tax here which greatly lowers our bills. Though property is expensive here (still cheaper than a lot of the UK) our property taxes are reasonable.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here
Believe me, Council Tax in Lancashire is EXPENSIVE! 1000 quid a year for a small (poky) apartment.

It depends where you live...$700 here would pay about 10/12 days council tax.

If you love where you are that's great but please don't assume everyone in the US is paying a couple of hundred thousand dollars for a huge house and several acres of land...or paying $700 per year in property taxes.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 14th 2007 at 8:37 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here

Your like a Land Baron, I only have about 4 yards & small shed.
Frank R.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.