Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness

Homesickness

Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by thinbrit
If I was living there I would. I'm living here.
Do you think that petition to leave or succeed from the US will go anywhere?

cheers

off the subject I know.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:54 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

"Who says you can't go home?" - Jon Bon Jovi, 2006.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 11:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

cheers

off the subject I know.
God I hope so, lets be rid.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:19 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
LOL. No. In 1861, Texans voted four-to-one to leave the Union, 150 years later here we still are. Many Texas still claim to be independent nation under occupation, but that number has been declining for the past 150 years.

I read on Yahoo news yesterday that the "We The People" petition section on The White House web site now included petitions from all 50 states to secede. The nation is divided, almost 50/50, on who should be 'running' the country, so its natural to have such a high number of 'protests'. Sore losers, myself included
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Broad generalization, but from the replies in this thread I get the impression that the "hard" homesickness seems to be affecting women with young children more than men - is that fair? The call of the family, etc?

Also, possibly, where the person feeling homesick came to the US on a job transfer rather than a marriage-based visa - maybe people who came on K-1s etc to marry US citizens or were already married to USCs don't feel the same pull?

I came to marry a US citizen and we're expecting our first baby next June, but have felt no sense of homesickness for the UK - maybe because I lived on the Isle of Man for 11 years, before moving back to the UK for under 2 years and then coming over here, so I didn't get chance to properly re-settle in the UK (the IOM is different, in some ways more like the UK in the 1960s/1970s).
Old Nov 16th 2012, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rallybug
Broad generalization, but from the replies in this thread I get the impression that the "hard" homesickness seems to be affecting women with young children more than men - is that fair? The call of the family, etc?

Also, possibly, where the person feeling homesick came to the US on a job transfer rather than a marriage-based visa - maybe people who came on K-1s etc to marry US citizens or were already married to USCs don't feel the same pull?

I came to marry a US citizen and we're expecting our first baby next June, but have felt no sense of homesickness for the UK - maybe because I lived on the Isle of Man for 11 years, before moving back to the UK for under 2 years and then coming over here, so I didn't get chance to properly re-settle in the UK (the IOM is different, in some ways more like the UK in the 1960s/1970s).
No, I think you're quite right in your assumption. Like I said, 2 years ago, I would have never have considered moving back to the UK.

I've always moved around and lived away from family before I moved to the US and it's never bothered me. I've traveled all over for the preceding 10 years, I've never felt homesick in my life, so this knocked me for 6 and I didn't know which way was up.

I think it's exactly what you say, because of the kids, and not even after the birth of my first, it was after the birth of my 2nd .. I just woke up one day and I just wanted to be back home and with family and watch my kids be with family. It was the strangest feeling because its never happened before, at first I couldn't make any sense of it and didn't understand it in the slightest. I'm not an overly emotional "I miss you" person with my family back in the UK, so this is just .. odd.

It's the kids, they will change ya Congratulations by the way!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Google "The stages of homesickness" and "The stages of culture shock"

Ignore advice from others who are homesick they may be at a different stage than you. Take it one day ay a time knowing that you will move onto the next stage at some point.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience the homesickness never really quite goes away, it just ebbs and flows according to other factors in my life. How to deal with it ? Same way you deal with anything maybe ? Work, exercise & if it gets too bad go home. But when Ive been back I always get antsy after 3-4 days & remember why I wanted to leave in the first place. After a week back in England Im kind of impatient to get away again. But that's just me.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:06 pm
Just Joined

Natgab is an unknown quantity at this point

I've moved from UK to Miami in June of this year to join my husband who is working on H1b so i'm on H4 , my homesickness seems to be getting worst instead of getting better with time! My 10year old has adjusted well but as for me I'm really suffering with homesickness particularly now Christmas is approaching!