Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesickness

Homesickness

Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Two oldest are 24 and 18 and living in UK already, just Dh myself and Dd (who is 7) still getting the house ready to put on the market.
Superb, your children clearly have impecable taste & sense when it comes to where to live.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a UKC and I've been in the USA since 1988. I have had bouts of homesickness come and go but after having children more recently it really hit home hard. My kids are 4 and 18 months and I'm determined to get home by the time school starts next year for my daughter. I can't wait for us all to have family around us again. Can't wait. Good luck to you!
Old Sep 12th 2012, 8:55 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Superb, your children clearly have impecable taste & sense when it comes to where to live.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Okuda will become famous soon enoughOkuda will become famous soon enough

I totally forgot to update this.

Thank you all for your replies. After a trip home, it just made it so much more apparent to me that I needed to be home. The trip home even got my husband excited about the prospect of moving to the UK.

Now? The house is on the market. We've spoken to a tax guy about our worldwide income tax implications as the US are greedy (no joke!) and it seems although we still have to file taxes as US citizens we won't owe taxes to the US, so thats ok, once the house sells, things will move pretty quickly as everyone is a UK citizen also, so it's a case of finding a job for the hubs, selling our life and getting shipped over (Of course a bit more involved than that, but you get the jist of things)

This is happening I'm scared. Wondering if it's the right thing for the kids futures (They are 1 and 3) but you have to leap sometimes, right? Well, here I we go, from the edge of the world haha.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Okuda
I totally forgot to update this.

Thank you all for your replies. After a trip home, it just made it so much more apparent to me that I needed to be home. The trip home even got my husband excited about the prospect of moving to the UK.

Now? The house is on the market. We've spoken to a tax guy about our worldwide income tax implications as the US are greedy (no joke!) and it seems although we still have to file taxes as US citizens we won't owe taxes to the US, so thats ok, once the house sells, things will move pretty quickly as everyone is a UK citizen also, so it's a case of finding a job for the hubs, selling our life and getting shipped over (Of course a bit more involved than that, but you get the jist of things)

This is happening I'm scared. Wondering if it's the right thing for the kids futures (They are 1 and 3) but you have to leap sometimes, right? Well, here I we go, from the edge of the world haha.
Your so lucky!
Having your yungons grown up in England sounds good as long as its in a nice area with nice schools.
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live in the US (State) and where do you or did you live in the UK?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hey!

We live in North Carolina right now and will be moving back to Kent. Gotta get used to the cooold winters again. Apart from this cold snap this week, its still been in the 70s here! In November!!!
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

We live in North Carolina right now and will be moving back to Kent. Gotta get used to the cooold winters again. Apart from this cold snap this week, its still been in the 70s here! In November!!!
I left the UK pre central heating. Hard to imagin having a warm house. I'm sorry that, for the most part, they don't light up the coal fire anymore. Nothing like a fireplace and a lit fire.

Cheers
Old Nov 15th 2012, 7:46 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

There is the perception that the grass is always greener. The truth is, anything is only what you make of it.

I've been here since 2005. I occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, will feel 'home sick', and those emotions are strong and stay with you. In contrast, viewing news articles on the Beeb web site, or stories from other UK news sites, about the depressing stench of urban and social decay, create brief moments of sadness that are fleeting.

In reality, I dont ever see me moving back to England. I made the US my home.

When you can listen to both of these and feel the same emotions, you know you are home in the US.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thinbrit
There is the perception that the grass is always greener. The truth is, anything is only what you make of it.

I've been here since 2005. I occasionally, maybe once or twice a year, will feel 'home sick', and those emotions are strong and stay with you. In contrast, viewing news articles on the Beeb web site, or stories from other UK news sites, about the depressing stench of urban and social decay, create brief moments of sadness that are fleeting.

When you can listen to both of these and feel the same emotions, you know you are home in the US.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qg7KsemZGIc http://youtube.com/watch?v=L9JIHgIz4d4
Just say you like it in the US. No need to make up some ridiculous melodrama about 'the stench of urban and social decay' to make yourself feel better about it.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qg7KsemZGIc http://youtube.com/watch?v=L9JIHgIz4d4
Grass is greener? Right ... This has nothing to do with me thinking the grass is greener, I'm under no illusion that England is the perfect country, it's far from it. Its just the fact I miss what I am. English. And that's all there is to it. This isn't a fleeting once or twice a year feeling. This is something I think about daily. Something I shed tears over, weekly.

Yes, the UK has it's faults, it is far from perfect. The state of benefits and immigration is disgusting, lazy yobs who suck the system dry. But then, America is no different, the same problems exist anywhere, it's just if you want to open your eyes and see them, or just bash the other country and shout "Oh it's gone to sh1t, you don't want to move back there, the NHS is crap, blah blah" yes, I've heard all the arguments when I last went back, but you know what? When we went back my little girl fell down a flight of double decker bus stairs and landed on the back of her head/neck. I thought she was dead. They took her to Queen Marys by ambulance, had 3 different doctors check her out (she was ok) and I didn't have one single co-pay, no $5000 bill for the ambulance ride, no $8000 for the ER visit or Xrays. I'll take crappy old 'grass is greener' UK and the NHS.

I'm sorry, I don't have anything against either country, I really don't, they both have great points and bad points, the only reason I want to move back is because I miss ... home. ... But you know what? I am quite sick of people bashing England like it's some steaming pile of crap. No it's not perfect by any means, but millions of people live there and survive every day with these things you bash and call it home and do very well.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:09 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Just say you like it in the US. No need to make up some ridiculous melodrama about 'the stench of urban and social decay' to make yourself feel better about it.
Sally,
I looked at the town I was born and spent most of my life in on Google maps recently. I was trying to find an address and 'travelled' the streets in street view. It is now a dump, boarded up houses, once affluent areas in disrepair. After seeing that I read the local newspaper, it was depressing.
I stand by 'the stench of urban and social decay' 100%.

For me, my home town is not what it was. You may have a different experience. My opinion is based on MY experience. Just because our experiences differ doesn't make you right.

I think you have lived in CA too long, you are sounding very much like a native..
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think you have lived in CA too long, you are sounding very much like a native..
Why's that?
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:12 pm

This is something I think about daily. Something I shed tears over, weekly.
Sorry to hear that. Each experience is personal. The truth is, anything is only what you make of it.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry to hear that. Each experience is personal. The truth is, anything is only what you make of it.
Obviously not true, or you would have made the most of your home town.
Old Nov 15th 2012, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Obviously not true, or you would have made the most of your home town.
If I was living there I would. I'm living here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.