Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Homesick and depressed...

Homesick and depressed...

Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick and depressed...

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Hmmmmmmm. Having been here 20 years ( I know the regulars are probably sick of me saying that, but some people are new) I've went back and forward. When I first came to the US I wanted to embrace all things American, when in Rome and all that stuff. I thought why move to America to be amongst just British. I eventually realized I wasn't accepted, people still saw me as the Brit/ limey( foreigner).
I then found an area in LA with a large English community and even a pub, I re-embraced my English identity and even romanticized the 'All Creatures great & small/Masterpiece Theatre' England of books and TV, even though I'm from inner city Birmingham and never had such a life.
I now realize I am forever changed, having spent all my adult life in the States I am neither English or American. There are aspects of both cultures I like and abhor.
The politeness and sense of humor of the English with their petty small mindedness and class snobbery or the can do, positive spirit of the Yanks with their brash, loud and obnoxious style.
I stuck it through and sometimes wonder why. I've seen many, many Brits come and go over the years. I now feel neither the naive, wide-eyed Brit I was or a fully fledged American, and I never will be. I'm a trans-atlantic hybrid.
I like 'trans-atlantic hybrid' ! I like to think of myself as a 'citizen of the world' these days; sounds perhaps a bit corny, but true. My girlfriend is Filipino. My favorite food is Thai, second favorite food is Italian. My favorite vacation is to go Tuscany/Umbria, or to Andalucia, and would like to retire there if anywhere. I drive a Japanese car, my co-workers are South African, American, Chinese, you name it. My favorite beer is Corona. Not a whole lot of 'Britain' or 'America' in my daily existence!
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I like 'trans-atlantic hybrid' ! I like to think of myself as a 'citizen of the world' these days; sounds perhaps a bit corny, but true. My girlfriend is Filipino. My favorite food is Thai, second favorite food is Italian. My favorite vacation is to go Tuscany/Umbria, or to Andalucia, and would like to retire there if anywhere. I drive a Japanese car, my co-workers are South African, American, Chinese, you name it. My favorite beer is Corona. Not a whole lot of 'Britain' or 'America' in my daily existence!
Can I have a beer with you? Corona, mmmm....

I had the most bizarre beer ever last night - called "Bourbon Bastard Ale". The place honestly has a beer call "Absolute Rat Bastard Ale" which is quite nice (brewery).

So I tried a bit of "Bourbon Bastard Ale" - they really meant it! Had actualy Bourbon in the stuff. Strong, and ...... yuck.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:05 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the New Year's fireworks in London.

I'm so homesick I can barely breathe...
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Awww I'm so sorry.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:14 am
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

From England I wish you all the very best for the New Year, Elvira. Are you hoping to return to dear ol' Blighty one day?

---
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:25 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
From England I wish you all the very best for the New Year, Elvira. Are you hoping to return to dear ol' Blighty one day?

---
Thanks, Love - I most definitely will be returning home one day!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:25 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
At my 40th Birthday a couple of years ago were people from England, Mexico, Finland,Thailand, Argentina, Hong Kong, Palestine and the USA. I remember thinking what an eclectic mixture
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rushman
16. The language of use for this site is to be english only. Any posts/comments made by members in a different language will be removed

Oh for ****S sake, that's pathetic. What were you buggers saying anyway????
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
"Vive la difference!", to coin a phrase. I'm sure the examples you give annoy some Americans too.

My word. You are an absolute PARAGON of sensitivity, aren't you?
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:31 am

:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
My word. You are an absolute PARAGON of sensitivity, aren't you?
Hang on - that phrase was not in English!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Not even da penguin can moderate Google's cache.

I agree -- the moderation here is well overdone.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

I have to go. Feliz Nuevo Ano!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:41 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

I have to go. Feliz Nuevo Ano!!!!!!!!!!!
It's prospero ano nuevo. But it'll probably be deleted soon, so who cares
Old Jan 1st 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
It's prospero ano nuevo. But it'll probably be deleted soon, so who cares
Is it?? I'll kill my OH - he's the Spic who was raised in Spain The only Spanish word I know is 'hola'. It's a good job I wasn't asking for directions to the bathroom.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 3:37 am
Homebody

<<<sigh>>>........... Who knows? I guess we were all slightly the worse for wear

But can you believe that effing Nazi deleting all our posts........ She needs to get a life :curse:

Sad really...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.