British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Homeschooling (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/homeschooling-283457/)

pcave Feb 10th 2005 10:16 pm

Homeschooling

I am thinking of taking my kids out of the american state school system and homeschooling them. I would like to get in contact with other British Parents who have done this in the USA.

Bob Feb 10th 2005 11:13 pm

Re: Homeschooling

can't help with home schooling...but there were some posts about brit schools in the US, so do a search for teaching and i'm sure you'll find some handy links in the US section.

welcome to the site btw

KarnalEcho Feb 10th 2005 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by pcave
I am thinking of taking my kids out of the american state school system and homeschooling them. I would like to get in contact with other British Parents who have done this in the USA.

From the experience I have had w/ other's homeschooling, all criteria comes from TX regardless of the state you are in. You could always google and find others and materials.Maybe you shoulc check and see if it's even allowed in your state. I'm not sure that any state would deny you doing this but google would be a good place to start. I would even send you a few links, if you can't find much. Try and see if there is a homeschool.com
:)
Also check out this site. I say some US states listed.
http://learninfreedom.org/sidlifBritainhmsc.html

rincewind Feb 11th 2005 12:00 am

Hay pcave

home skooling is de best. i woz home skoled and i is thankfol that I waz as I never licked the skool i used to go to. I waz always piked on and teesed.

don;t let anyone put you off. your kidds will relly get a beter ejewcation, just lick me.

all the best.

AmerLisa Feb 11th 2005 12:13 am

Originally Posted by rincewind
Hay pcave

home skooling is de best. i woz home skoled and i is thankfol that I waz as I never licked the skool i used to go to. I waz always piked on and teesed.

don;t let anyone put you off. your kidds will relly get a beter ejewcation, just lick me.

all the best.

So, knowing full well you know how to spell and maybe even punctuate... ;) Is it that you just don't agree with home schooling? :confused: :D

KarnalEcho Feb 11th 2005 12:17 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So, knowing full well you know how to spell and maybe even punctuate... ;) Is it that you just don't agree with home schooling? :confused: :D

He hates it, He's only seen the failures. This is a subject that is a major party killer around here lol
I however agree with it totally. It's the lazy people that keep their kids at home and don't take the time to teach them, and some get away with it. It's sad. But check out the winners of the latest spelling B competitions and anything else you can find online. You truely have to be motivated and want to do this to make it successful but there are plenty of resources to help.
Ignore hubby's post above, I think he's been itching to put an Ellen Degenerous joke in here somewhere. :D

AmerLisa Feb 11th 2005 12:25 am

Originally Posted by IluvAbrit
He hates it, He's only seen the failures. This is a subject that is a major party killer around here lol
I however agree with it totally. It's the lazy people that keep their kids at home and don't take the time to teach them, and some get away with it. It's sad. But check out the winners of the latest spelling B competitions and anything else you can find online. You truely have to be motivated and want to do this to make it successful but there are plenty of resources to help.
Ignore hubby's post above, I think he's been itching to put an Ellen Degenerous joke in here somewhere. :D

Ahhh, you're Mrs. Rincewind...sorry for just catching on....I don't get on this forum much at the moment....trying to look for a house to buy and juggling a 3 year old...all too much for me at the moment. I knew he was being funny. I actually know someone who has kept her daughter home with the intent of homeschooling and never has. This girl is now 14 and hasn't went to school since she was probably 7. I have no idea what she knows or doesn't know and its a crime....but something she's getting away with and I suspect many others as well. I'm not supporting public education, but not sure if homeschooling is the answer either...

rincewind Feb 11th 2005 12:36 am

I actually know someone who has kept her daughter home with the intent of homeschooling and never has. This girl is now 14 and hasn't went to school since she was probably 7.

This is my issue with it. Too many people believe they can do a better job than teachers can when in truth they can't. They either don't have the patience or the skill to teach their own children.

Children need to be around other children to learn social skills and a school environment puts them into the learning mode to suck up knowledge.

Most decisions to home school are by those that hold paranoid anti-government views, deep rooted religious beliefs or are just too lazy to get them enrolled.

While some have home schooled successfully (and I applaud those that made the effort to make it work), I still believe children need to be in a school around others the same age. There are too many distractions at home.

KarnalEcho Feb 11th 2005 12:37 am

Ahhh, you're Mrs. Rincewind...sorry for just catching on....I don't get on this forum much at the moment....trying to look for a house to buy and juggling a 3 year old...all too much for me at the moment. I knew he was being funny. I actually know someone who has kept her daughter home with the intent of homeschooling and never has. This girl is now 14 and hasn't went to school since she was probably 7. I have no idea what she knows or doesn't know and its a crime....but something she's getting away with and I suspect many others as well. I'm not supporting public education, but not sure if homeschooling is the answer either...

it IS a tough decision and my X has my kids right now 4 & 6 and he's "claiming" to homeschool but I know he isn't. They just went back to court again and I have no clue what is being decided. If he would just "do it" I'd be ok because my oldest made the paper w/ her good grades and he's just hurting her now.
I'm for either or. I think if you go to a govm't school then there's a place for homeschooling after the hrs. of regular school. To correct something that has been improperly taught. If you do H.S. then you can move with your child's timing and that has been shown to be a very fluid and successful process.

OK I feel he's fixing to bite back so I will try to say no more. I'm w/ ya no matter what you choose !!! :D

*DOLP* I'm too late. :D

robskatie Feb 11th 2005 12:49 am

Have you had lots of problems with the school system over here? Do your kids want to be taught at home? I am not a supporter of homeschooling, but then my kids are doing great in the schools over here, if they were being bullied excessively or not being challenged then of course it would be different. I guess the main questioin is how do your kids feel about it? :)

CaliforniaBride Feb 11th 2005 2:16 am

This girl is now 14 and hasn't went to school since she was probably 7.

You might need some help with teaching grammar. ;)

Yorkieabroad Feb 11th 2005 2:31 am

Check out the stay at home dads group on Yahoo groups - there was a long discussion on it a while ago with lots of links posted to relevant websites and resources.

If you can do it successfully, I take my hat off to you. Its something I keep toying with, but I just know that I wouldn't have the focus or patience to do it properly. Fortunately the schools around us are (supposed to be) really good, so when it comes time, mine'll be going there - I think I'll probably do some additional stuff in due course to keep some UK relevance just in case we ever move back (And throw in a few proper spellings just to screw the little buggers up!)

TouristTrap Feb 11th 2005 4:31 am

I've been doing it successfully for 8 years, and am past the need to defend anything. The proof is in my kids and their level of maturity and education.

It is legal in every state, and for that matter, in nearly every country worldwide, excepting Germany (at the moment), that I can think of, from the top of my head. Strangely enough, its hugely popular in the U.K., something I found extremely surprising when I found out about it a few years ago.

Check out any John Taylor Gatto books in your local library, especially one titled 'The Underground of American Education'. He was both New York State Teacher of the Year, and thrice New York City's Teacher of the Year yet quit and is a leading advocate of homeschooling. His book is excellent.

CaliforniaBride Feb 11th 2005 9:52 am

Originally Posted by izibear
I've been doing it successfully for 8 years, and am past the need to defend anything.

Because nobody challenges you openly?

AmerLisa Feb 11th 2005 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
You might need some help with teaching grammar. ;)

lol Why would I need help teaching grammar? I'm not homeschooling anyone. :confused:

Also, anything I said to Rincewind was in jest and not meant to offend.... ;)