Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Home Warranty

Home Warranty

Old Feb 28th 2006, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough
Default Home Warranty

Does anyone have any positive experiences with a home warranty company?

We got one for a year with our house when we bought it - and it's up for renewal. It's an older house (1976) and the pipes, electricity etc. haven't been updated, the heating is 12 yrs old and the air conditioner is 6 years old. We're considering renewing, but probably with another company, as the service from the existing company was poor when we had a problem.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:00 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Home Warranty

Hang on lets review the facts:

-USA
-Warranty (or insurance)
-Positive Experience

Can you see the odd one out?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

John Murray will become famous soon enoughJohn Murray will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Hang on lets review the facts:

-USA
-Warranty (or insurance)
-Positive Experience

Can you see the odd one out?
Well, if you can tell me the company you had your warranty with, I can probably exclude them from my list of possibles
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:20 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John Murray
Well, if you can tell me the company you had your warranty with, I can probably exclude them from my list of possibles
They are all much of a muchness really
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:27 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

We got one for a year with our house when we bought it - and it's up for renewal. It's an older house (1976) and the pipes, electricity etc. haven't been updated, the heating is 12 yrs old and the air conditioner is 6 years old. We're considering renewing, but probably with another company, as the service from the existing company was poor when we had a problem.
Seriously - i would say that they are all pish.
Have you had to claim of your existing warranty yet ??

I can def say that a company named after Shakespeare's theatre (in London) should be avoided at all costs.
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:29 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Seriously - i would say that they are all pish.
Have you had to claim of your existing warranty yet ??

I can def say that a company named after Shakespeare's theatre (in London) should be avoided at all costs.
"The Round wooden structure Insurance Corp." ?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:32 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

"The not entirely Original, but rebuilt in the style of the original, but not on the same site, with the help of a quite famous American Film Director, who's daughter is in 'My Family' Inc."
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:33 am

The Pru?
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:36 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
"The not entirely Original, but rebuilt in the style of the original, but not on the same site, with the help of a quite famous American Film Director, who's daughter is in 'My Family' Inc."
You've used them too then ??
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:37 am

You've used them too then ??
They're crap
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:37 am

Took me 2 hours to write the envelope for the claim form
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:38 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
They're crap
Surely a man with your considerable skills is in no need of something like a home warranty.
Are you not insulted by the very suggestion ??
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:39 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The whole idea of the insurance is a red herring to divert you from suing the seller, seller's realtor, seller's broker, your realtor, your broker. They pay 'em $400 to keep you busy on the phone and blaming someone else rather than thinking about taking them to court.

Personally wouldn't buy anything in America with a warranty -- from a TV to a house. If they want to throw it in without it costing me extra, fine! If not, the answer's "no".
Old Feb 28th 2006, 2:40 am

Surely a man with your considerable skills is in no need of something like a home warranty.
Are you not insulted by the very suggestion ??
It's over 30 years old, which is almost a listed building around here