Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Home Ownership and Homesickness Link??

Home Ownership and Homesickness Link??

Old Jul 11th 2004, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Ownership and Homesickness Link??

Actually, I have been to the UK, and lived there for about 4 months - not long enough to make me an expert by any means, but long enough to make a few general observations.

Sockets with switches were an absolute annoyance for me. I'm of the mind, that if I have something plugged in, I want it to work when I flip the switch and not have to go back and check to make sure the socket switch was turned on. Guess I just don't understand the uses of them because if there's something plugged in that I'm not using, I simply turn it off (or even unplug it). I've never damaged a cord by pulling it out of the outlet.

I'll definitely agree that houses are built much too fast these days. From an engineering perspective I don't quite get how a 6ft deep foundation is going to be all that great? Why pay for an extra 4ft of concrete to be poured, when 2 or 3 feet would do just as good at supporting the structure? Heck, when a tornado comes ripping through, your house is in shreds regardless of foundation depth. And the reason that a lot of folks like the vinyl siding is because it's cheaper, and much easier to keep clean - very low maintenance. Also, when a house is being built, that cavity between the studs is filled with insulation, so it's not just an empty cavity. I agree, I would want another layer of wall between me and the outside world, so when my husband and I finally build a house together, that will probably be at the top of my list.

Yes, I know that parts of the Eastern seaboard and inner-city/downtown areas have apartments and houses that all share walls. And a lot of people living in condos and townhouses also have common walls. I was a suburb brat so grew up in a house with the neighbors being about 15ft away and a huge backyard. So after seeing how in the UK that it *appeared* that even folks in the tiny towns almost lived on top of each other and how small a typical house is (not to mention the cost!) that has really made me think twice about relocating to the UK.

Ah well, methinks that there are maybe a few flaws in both country's housing market, but which one someone prefers all depends on what they are used to I suppose.

Thanks for the insight everyone!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Lace curtains that don't reach to the floor are commonplace in the UK. The only lace curtains I've ever seen in the US drape down to the floor and they are pretty pricy.

A friend of mine had to get family from the UK to send her British style lace curtains.

Also, I haven't noticed the flexible curtain rods (for the lace curtains), that are another thing common in the UK.

Another observation is that Americans really like mini blinds but I don't like them at all.

Not everyone in the US lives in a single family home (i.e. detached home). Condominiums, duplexes, triplexes and town homes are all found in the SE part of the US.

Clearly, you've never been to the UK 'cos there's single family homes in the UK too. The UK may be a small country but that doesn't mean we all live side by side!
Old Jul 11th 2004, 9:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home Ownership and Homesickness Link??

Electrical systems are difficult to compare, half the voltage and for most circuits more importantly also half the wattage that could hurt you.

Just look at the size of US 240V outlets - much chunkier than their UK equivalents.

UK systems have relied on fuse protection in the plug as well as at the switchboard, most new system will also have an ELCB protecting the whole system, something that cuts the power very quickly to reduce the damage of electrocution.

US systems rely more on the wired in protection of GCFI's, which seem another word for ELCB's, both at the plug level for high risk area and also for the system as a whole.

You can of course get switched and unswitched UK sockets, I always used to pull plugs out as a safety measure if I was going away, the lack of a switch does not bother me.

Foundation depth is down to local geological conditions, I assume that the US has had the same issues with Subsidence and Heave?, but must admit having seen no mention, perhaps the lighter construction helps? We live in a clay area and they do not excavate as far down as I would expect but then they use raft rather than trench foundations.

I can not say that I was impressed with the comment that our {Stucco} finish was good for 50 years, it was put across as being a long time. Horses for courses.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:01 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

What's wrong with actually looking out of your windows for goodness' sake?
I sort of agree to that although nets in England were to stop people looking in.

I'm not a fan of blinds but it keeps the house cooler blocking out the sun.

I miss a normal sized washing machine (or washer/dryer combo) rather than these industrial sized monsters that appear to be the norm. My wife manages to wash clothes everyday and doesn't seem to grasp the energy used. I was always a weekend laundry person when I was single but she has to have a load on everyday.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rincewind

I miss a normal sized washing machine (or washer/dryer combo) rather than these industrial sized monsters that appear to be the norm. My wife manages to wash clothes everyday and doesn't seem to grasp the energy used. I was always a weekend laundry person when I was single but she has to have a load on everyday.
I know what you mean about the washing machine thing. I don't have a load running every day, its just the three of us and we just don't generate that much laundry. But, I lived in the UK for almost 6 years and initially found the front loading washing machine my husband had a pain. But, like everything else, I got used to it and preferred it. So, when we moved over here I wanted another one and for very good reason, they are more economically feasiable. But, they were way out of our budget - so even though they would make more sense in the long run - we ended up with a top loader.

BTW, hubs and I really enjoyed your George Carlin quote.
Old Jul 11th 2004, 5:33 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, hubs and I really enjoyed your George Carlin quote.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AmerLisa
I know what you mean about the washing machine thing. I don't have a load running every day, its just the three of us and we just don't generate that much laundry. But, I lived in the UK for almost 6 years and initially found the front loading washing machine my husband had a pain. But, like everything else, I got used to it and preferred it. So, when we moved over here I wanted another one and for very good reason, they are more economically feasiable. But, they were way out of our budget - so even though they would make more sense in the long run - we ended up with a top loader.

Front loaders are expensive but worth every penny. I got fed up of waiting for Dyson to release their machines here, so bought the Whirlpool duet a few weeks ago. Wish I'd done it a year ago- even my husband noticed the difference in the laundry, and a machine that boil washes yey! No more rips and tangled messes from those lethal agitators and whites that don't stay white unless you add bleach. Apart from all that, the energy savings are considerable and am waiting for my water bill as the washing machine uses 68% less water per load than top loaders. Maybe its because I lived with droughts in UK (both in Wales and the South East) and was in Britain when it became totally energy conscious that watching those top loaders fill up with water made me cringe. Also I always had frontloaders in UK and the machines out here were like going back into the dark ages.
So the initial outlay is expensive but the machines should pay for themselves in about 4 years, by my reckoning. Probably quicker if you throw much gentler handling of clothes, less washing powder and no chemicals/stain removers into the equation.

Last edited by Taffyles; Jul 12th 2004 at 5:15 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
Front loaders are expensive but worth every penny. I got fed up of waiting for Dyson to release their machines here, so bought the Whirlpool duet a few weeks ago. Wish I'd done it a year ago- even my husband noticed the difference in the laundry, and a machine that boil washes yey! No more rips and tangled messes from those lethal agitators and whites that don't stay white unless you add bleach. Apart from all that, the energy savings are considerable and am waiting for my water bill as the washing machine uses 68% less water per load than top loaders. Maybe its because I lived with droughts in UK (both in Wales and the South East) and was in Britain when it became totally energy conscious that watching those top loaders fill up with water made me cringe. Also I always had frontloaders in UK and the machines out here were like going back into the dark ages.
So the initial outlay is expensive but the machines should pay for themselves in about 4 years, by my reckoning. Probably quicker if you throw much gentler handling of clothes, less washing powder and no chemicals/stain removers into the equation.

Now you make me feel like we should have invested the money. Maybe I can convince hubs that we should sell this one and buy a front loader. I wonder if its true about the whites though, I mean all the time I lived in the UK I didn't add bleach, nor did I need to. However, I'm already noticing our whites looking a bit dingy. And what the heck is boil washing about????
:scared: Sounds scary!!! LOL I know what you mean about Dyson, would have loved that machine in the UK too - too darn expensive. I wanted another Dyson vacuum when we moved to the States (loved ours in the UK) but just couldn't get my brain around spending $400 to$500 on a vacuum. Maybe later when we're more settled financially.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Now you make me feel like we should have invested the money. Maybe I can convince hubs that we should sell this one and buy a front loader. I wonder if its true about the whites though, I mean all the time I lived in the UK I didn't add bleach, nor did I need to. However, I'm already noticing our whites looking a bit dingy. And what the heck is boil washing about????
:scared: Sounds scary!!! LOL I know what you mean about Dyson, would have loved that machine in the UK too - too darn expensive. I wanted another Dyson vacuum when we moved to the States (loved ours in the UK) but just couldn't get my brain around spending $400 to$500 on a vacuum. Maybe later when we're more settled financially.
Yep- I bought my Mum a Dyson Animal when I was home in May- cost £149- was so impressed with it, I bought one here when I got back $566!!! ahem...but its great. God knows what the price on Dyson washing machines will be out here :scared:
Boil washing is the machine heating the temp to boiling for your whites (cotton i.e. LOL)- out here they call it the 'sanitizing' programme. You have to use bleach to keep whites white with a top loader and white synthetics- forget it- they go dingy in no time.
Hey Lisa I've waited 12 years to get a decent washing machine out here- they haven't long started selling front loaders- couldn't get them at all when I came out.

Mind you, I met a Brit couple living near me last week and they brought out ALL their appliances- he says its easy to convert the houses out here...maybe for an electrician LOL. He offered to put a machine in for us if we shipped one over...just a couple of weeks too late, darn! It's probably cheaper to ship a machine over from Europe and get someone to do the electrics. My mother's new Hotpoint with 36 programmes (does everything but iron the damn clothes LOL) only cost about £300.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Taffyles
Yep- I bought my Mum a Dyson Animal when I was home in May- cost £149- was so impressed with it, I bought one here when I got back $566!!! ahem...but its great. God knows what the price on Dyson washing machines will be out here :scared:
Boil washing is the machine heating the temp to boiling for your whites (cotton i.e. LOL)- out here they call it the 'sanitizing' programme. You have to use bleach to keep whites white with a top loader and white synthetics- forget it- they go dingy in no time.
Hey Lisa I've waited 12 years to get a decent washing machine out here- they haven't long started selling front loaders- couldn't get them at all when I came out.

Mind you, I met a Brit couple living near me last week and they brought out ALL their appliances- he says its easy to convert the houses out here...maybe for an electrician LOL. He offered to put a machine in for us if we shipped one over...just a couple of weeks too late, darn! It's probably cheaper to ship a machine over from Europe and get someone to do the electrics. My mother's new Hotpoint with 36 programmes (does everything but iron the damn clothes LOL) only cost about £300.

Yeah we had only bought our washing machine (in the UK) a year before we moved. Would have loved to have taken that with me, along with my dyson vac and my bread machine!
Looking for a washer and dryer was a bit daunting, we wanted cheap without being too cheap, but had no idea what to look for, although we already knew about front loaders. Although I let the salespeople go on about it while hubs (who is too polite by half) stood bored to tears and listened to it all. I convienitly (where is the spellchecker on this thing!!) chased after our 3 year old.