Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Home insurance in Florida

Home insurance in Florida

Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Dixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home insurance in Florida

Hi All,
first post from a newbie. I've had an offer accepted on a house in Titusville, Florida and it looks as though everything is going through. It will be a holiday home for the family (while we are all still in the UK) and will not be rented out. The first of many hurdles is to get it insured. None of the UK based insurers will cover Florida (storms/hurricanes whatever) and the US based ones don't seem to cover holiday homes unless your primary residence is also with them - which is obviously impossible. Any advice please?
Really glad to have found an active site for expats and wannabe expats! Look forward to talking to you
Old Oct 17th 2014, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Home insurance in Florida

Find a local independant insurance agent, local to Titusville that is..
They will try find insurance on the private market, but that is difficult; otherwise they will try the state insurance pool known as Citizens.
I do not have any experience of insuring homes not occupied all year as a holiday home so the state insurance pool might have different rules.

Whenever I have tried calling around looking for homeowners insurance in Florida the agent asks where I live and when I tell them I usually hear laughing on the other end of the phone.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck!

Though isn't it a bit late asking now?

What are you going to do for upkeep while you're away? Seems most people recommend having AC/dehumidifiers running year round to stop mould and places falling apart, which might be tricky if you hadn't planned on someone managing it and having it locked up while you're not using it.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

Try a local allstate agent. They will access various companies to provide cover. Get a bank account also. Regions Bank allow UK nationals to set up checking accounts without an SSN. You'll need to do this to pay property taxes etc and utility bills. Get someone to mow the lawn / prune shrubs...usually $100 a month. Set AC on low so it ticks over and dehumidifies n the summer...usually set it to 82'ish.
Then enjoy....oh, if you've got a pool....add on $$$ to look after it!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Dixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond reputeDixie101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and thanks for the replies! US bank account will be sorted, but you have to have a US address, which we won't have until the sale completes . It is anticipated the home will be occupied for several months a year (my 2 times 90 day visas and then other family members using it at other times) We have a friend in the town who will pop in when we're not there and his garden contractor will be maintaining the garden. Been quoted $60 a month which seems reasonable.
The realtor is checking with a couple of local insurance agents. Given the huge number of Brits who own holiday homes in Florida I'm surprised the insurance situation hasn't been sorted out. Or do they cross fingers and not insure!!
We are paying cash and have been told we don't actually have to have insurance, but I want to ensure we are adequately covered.
All further suggestions/advice gratefully received
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Samxboy
Try a local allstate agent. They will access various companies to provide cover. Get a bank account also. Regions Bank allow UK nationals to set up checking accounts without an SSN. You'll need to do this to pay property taxes etc and utility bills. Get someone to mow the lawn / prune shrubs...usually $100 a month. Set AC on low so it ticks over and dehumidifies n the summer...usually set it to 82'ish.
Then enjoy....oh, if you've got a pool....add on $$$ to look after it!
Thanks for the heads up re Regions Bank!
Old Oct 18th 2014, 2:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dixie101
..... We have a friend in the town who will pop in when we're not there and his garden contractor will be maintaining the garden. Been quoted $60 a month which seems reasonable. .....
Suspiciously so. Unless the garden is no bigger than a pocket handkerchief, $60 would barely cover one visit/month for mowing, never mind any weeding, pruning, mulching, etc.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dixie101
Thanks for the heads up re Regions Bank!
I'm pretty sure Regions set up the account with our UK address. Needless to say you'll need to provide ID as money laundering laws are quite tight etc. If the home is built after 2004'ish the codes really tightened up for withstanding hurricanes...needless to say that won't stop loosing a few roof shingles. Defo get insurance...I'm with security first and the premium is about $700 a year...NO FLOOD cover.
In the summer the yard will need cutting weekly....10 inches of rain last week so grass and weeds grow mighty fast.
Oh, get termite protection too, that's about $250 a year but you're covered for infestation....those little varmints will eat your home out before you know it!
When we first moved in, the second night a dirty great pine tree collapsed into our yard, just missing the home. It's termite heaven down south!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:50 am
Just Joined

maemaesmummy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Suspiciously so. Unless the garden is no bigger than a pocket handkerchief, $60 would barely cover one visit/month for mowing, never mind any weeding, pruning, mulching, etc.
Not really cheap for here in Florida....we have probably over 150 houses we service that pay around $60 a month and that's one visit a week...every week...
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:49 am
Just Joined

Thanks again. Really appreciate all the help. I've emailed a couple of independent insurance brokers and will be seeing Wells Fargo on Monday about a bank account. That's the nearest bank so thought we may as we'll try them first. The lot is quite large, so maybe $60 a month is a bit low, but we will pay whatever is necessary to keep the garden mown. No trees and nothing else growing in it but grass!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Samxboy
I'm pretty sure Regions set up the account with our UK address. Needless to say you'll need to provide ID as money laundering laws are quite tight etc. If the home is built after 2004'ish the codes really tightened up for withstanding hurricanes...needless to say that won't stop loosing a few roof shingles. Defo get insurance...I'm with security first and the premium is about $700 a year...NO FLOOD cover.
In the summer the yard will need cutting weekly....10 inches of rain last week so grass and weeds grow mighty fast.
Oh, get termite protection too, that's about $250 a year but you're covered for infestation....those little varmints will eat your home out before you know it!
When we first moved in, the second night a dirty great pine tree collapsed into our yard, just missing the home. It's termite heaven down south!
Thanks. I have emailed Security First. We have a termite report-house is clear but termite activity in the little shed at the end of the garden, so that is being demolished. Do you have to burn the wood? That collapsing tree must have been pretty scary! Mold report is clear too, fortunately.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maemaesmummy
Not really cheap for here in Florida....we have probably over 150 houses we service that pay around $60 a month and that's one visit a week...every week...
Wait, are you a landscape/pool/property management type, from UK? There are dozens of threads with folks wanting to know how you got into the biz!

I am interested, anyway.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 2:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maemaesmummy
You should move to NC. Any random hard-up guy in Smallville, NC riding around town on his mower wants $20+ a visit for 1/10th of an acre. For a half acre in the burbs it's $50 per visit from an "American owned (Mexican staffed)" landscape maintenance business with a zero-turn mower, a straight-shaft trimmer, and a back-pack blower. In the big city I hear it costs as much for small lots. .... Or maybe I should get into the business?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You should move to NC. Any random hard-up guy in Smallville, NC riding around town on his mower wants $20+ a visit for 1/10th of an acre. For a half acre in the burbs it's $50 per visit from an "American owned (Mexican staffed)" landscape maintenance business with a zero-turn mower, a straight-shaft trimmer, and a back-pack blower. In the big city I hear it costs as much for small lots. .... Or maybe I should get into the business?
My ex g/f pays only $10 per mow, front and back. Being in the expensive bay area, I thought that was unbelievably inexpensive but she said they mow everyone's grass in the area and that is why it is so inexpensive. It's just two Latinos and they don't do anything but mow grass. The lots aren't very big and suspect it only takes about 15 minutes per lot per worker so that's about $320 per day each (about $2,000 per week since they work 6 days per week). They also don't use riding mowers. She takes care of her flower beds but didn't want to be bothered moving the grass.

Last edited by Michael; Oct 19th 2014 at 3:20 am.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be away 6 months at a time. Insurance with Tower Hill not a problem.
For my 1.1 acres NE Florida, professional lawn care, insured, mow, leaf blow and weed spray $80/month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.