Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Home hairdressers??

Home hairdressers??

Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold
Default Home hairdressers??

Hey,

Do they have home hairdressers in the US? My husb has never heard of them.

I'm looking for a hairdresser in the San Diego area. Any ideas?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home hairdressers??

Originally Posted by Holliver
Hey,

Do they have home hairdressers in the US? My husb has never heard of them.

I'm looking for a hairdresser in the San Diego area. Any ideas?
I can't speak for San Diego, but they are few and far between here - nowhere near as common as back in the UK. Perhaps check your local Craig's list - that might be a place to start.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:20 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't very common here. We used to have one she's come and cut mine and the kids hair, she wasn't busy enough, so she works in a local salon now.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Holliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to beholdHolliver is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the advice. I wonder why they aren't so popular here.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 1:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My hairdresser told me the state (New Jersey) will not licence hairdressers to work outside a hair salon environment. Health and safety issues if I remember correctly.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:03 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Phoenix, the hairdresser I go to will sometimes come to someone's house only if they are too old or too physically unable to make it to the salon. She came and cut my elderly mother's hair at home a few times, about 8 years ago.

You'll probably just have to find a privately owned salon (not a chain) and then ask if they do home visits.

Rene
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

As was said, many states will not license you if you don't work out of a salon and people who are licensed and work out of non-salon environments can get their license revoked. I believe you can be unlicensed and work out of your home but then insurance becomes an issue so it's not worth it. A lot of places around here set up shop in a house but it's usually a house that has been turned into a salon rather than a house that somebody lives in.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

Holliver, I think I know you in real life lol! If so, I know a girl at my work who cuts hair. I can speak to her, I think she would be willing to come and do it at someones house and I hear she is very good.

Speak to you in person tomo x
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

I did think it might have been to do with that.

What do you think a good price for highlights (full head) and a cut will be?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Hey,

Holliver, I think I know you in real life lol! If so, I know a girl at my work who cuts hair. I can speak to her, I think she would be willing to come and do it at someones house and I hear she is very good.

Speak to you in person tomo x
Cheers sweet. Do you reckon she can do highlights too? I'd be willing to go to her...depending on where she lives. Just looking for someone decent and not too pricey to do my hair.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, health and safety as well as liability insurance is the usual issue.

Do know someone who does hair cuts out of their van, who visit you, rather than doing it in your actual home to get around the insurance issue, but that person had worked in a proper salon and took all the customers when the salon owner died.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers sweet. Do you reckon she can do highlights too? I'd be willing to go to her...depending on where she lives. Just looking for someone decent and not too pricey to do my hair.
As far as I know she's in La Jolla. I will speak to her at work on Thursday when I'm in.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

One idea is try calling upscale or private long term care facilities and ask the activities director who they use.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I want someone to come to my house to cut my hair, or dye it, or perm it? It is messy and tiresome as the house would have to be cleaned before she came and then cleaned again after she came. Plus I don't have a sink as they have in a salon for washing hair.

That is what salons are for.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rete
Why would I want someone to come to my house to cut my hair, or dye it, or perm it? It is messy and tiresome as the house would have to be cleaned before she came and then cleaned again after she came. Plus I don't have a sink as they have in a salon for washing hair.

That is what salons are for.
It's really not that messy at all. We used to just wash our own hair and then she'd cut it. No need for a sink to do it in. Also, we had floorboards so we just swept up right after. No problem at all.

I suppose a lot of people like the experience of going to a salon. To feel like they are being pampered and special. I've just never found a salon where I felt that comfortable or been that delighted with the cut.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.