Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Home, which do you refer to?

Home, which do you refer to?

Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home, which do you refer to?

I was talking to my husband about our trip (booked the plane tickets on Saturday ) anyhow when we were talking tonight I said 'when I go home' he laughs because I have been here for 5 years and still call england home. Weird thing is on previous trips, when I am in England I will talk about 'when I go home' (back to the US).

Does everyone else have 2 homes?

Ash
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:29 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Home, which do you refer to?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I was talking to my husband about our trip (booked the plane tickets on Saturday ) anyhow when we were talking tonight I said 'when I go home' he laughs because I have been here for 5 years and still call england home. Weird thing is on previous trips, when I am in England I will talk about 'when I go home' (back to the US).

Ash
Home is where you hang your hat I guess. I have three homes if that’s the case.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Ash
Yes, know exactly what you mean. We fly to England to go home, and then return home afterwards.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:29 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I refer to England as 'home'

I refer to the USA as 'hell'
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rincewind

Old Jul 11th 2007, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to allHove is a name known to all

Ash
Let him Laugh I have been gone 50 years and I am going HOME for Christmas
it wont be home to mum shes 94 and in a nursing home,Thats the strange part to go home and not to your original family home................But England is still my home.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:13 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 9 years, I still go home to Birmingham. I do not consider the US home, I just live here for the time being.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Reddman is an unknown quantity at this point

Home is where the heart is!
I guess I have a lot of homes.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

maggster will become famous soon enoughmaggster will become famous soon enough

When in the US I say home when I speak of England but when in the UK I refer to the US as home.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Ash

haha some friends and i were just talking about that in the pub last week when i was home....although we own houses in both countries, after 5yrs in the usa i still refer to my UK property as home.

have a great trip
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:50 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rincewind

omg you sound worse than me

i don't refer to the usa as 'hell' well only occasionally lol i just say i reside here
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:11 pm
Another gloomy day!

hayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of lighthayley82 is a glorious beacon of light

Ash
I do the same thing! Does confuse some people though.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hayley82
I do the same thing! Does confuse some people though.
UK always refered to as home, been here five too. I just reside here for the time being until we can find a way out! Home in US is only my actual physical house, not the country or the culture.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:55 pm
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Home is where I raised my kids
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southern comfort
Home is where I raised my kids
Mmm very cryptic. Where would that be then? Here? There? Or do you mean the house that you raised them in, even though you might not live there anymore.

My true true home would be the hosue I spent my formative years in, in Shropshire. Although I have lived in a lot of houses, flats, and countries since then.

Its a cliche but home is where the heart is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.