British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Home Delivery Food (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/home-delivery-food-410478/)

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2006 12:14 am

Home Delivery Food

No, I'm not talking dominos here, more those 'gourmet' services that deliver x number of frozen meals to your house that you can then reheat whenever you want.

Has anyone ever used one of these services and if so what were your impressions ??

I've started looking into them recently and from the brochures it looks like you can get some pretty tasty, healthy stuff.

Maz Nov 28th 2006 1:32 am

Re: Home Delivery Food

Nope never tried one of those, but I have to say I've often been tempted by Seattle Sutton's Healthy Eating. That stuff looks pretty delish! :)

jen_andreson Nov 28th 2006 1:40 am

I've heard good things about one called Let's Eat or something like that, but we don't have one here. A friend emailed with a 'try this'. Am tempted to try Super Suppers as we have one nearby, but I don't yet know anyone who used them. These are both places in which one can go and prepare meals from the menu, pack them up and bring them home to freeze. Or, for an extra fee the company will prepare them 'to go' (that's my preference). I looked at the online menu's and they looked good. Assume this is what you are referring to?

The positives, I'm told, are: natural ingredients, you can choose want you want from the menu and buy either 6 or 12 meals (multiples of one, one of each variety), you can exclude any ingredients you don't like/are allergic to, and the prices are reasonable when you consider that each meal serves 6 (I think it is). That would go a long way in our house of 2 adults and two young children. Good way to keep healthy options to hand--in a perfect world I would do this make ahead preparation myself, as I try to do, but sometimes it's not that easy.

Sarah Nov 28th 2006 1:42 am

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No, I'm not talking dominos here, more those 'gourmet' services that deliver x number of frozen meals to your house that you can then reheat whenever you want.

Has anyone ever used one of these services and if so what were your impressions ??

I've started looking into them recently and from the brochures it looks like you can get some pretty tasty, healthy stuff.

You fed up of Ramen noodles already?

Bob Nov 28th 2006 1:42 am

Work, they got a bunch in towards crunch time on the last project as a break from all the take out dinners they were getting...don't know who they used, and they didn't stick with it because the food was a bit bland and portions were a tad stingy, but it was pretty convenient because you could just grab one and heat it when you were hungry rather than waiting around for the food to arrive.

BigDavyG Nov 28th 2006 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Sarah
You fed up of Ramen noodles already?

No, but the "Hungry Man" microwave dinners are really starting to p!ss me off

lauriejane Dec 1st 2006 11:20 pm

I used to get Susan's Healthy Gourmet food delivery here in Hollywood where I live (their headquarters is in Irvine, I believe). I enjoyed it, the food was delicious and healthy, but it was too expensive for me (wound up costing me around $800-900 month) so I had to give it up. Now I get Nutrisystem food delivered and I like it. It is very inexpensive. You have the food delivered (it's costing me around $280 a month more or less) once per month and it does not need to be refrigerated. Most of it can be microwaved, some of it is in powdered form, you add hot water, and you get to choose which foods you want delivered off lists of food that include a wide variety of choices. You are expected to provide veggies, fruit, some protein foods like cheese or yogurt and milk for cereal. I like the fact that it's calorie controlled; I have lost weight eating this way. The main thing for me is the convenience. Very little cooking, just microwave the food, very little shopping and no having to think and plan meals. This has really worked for me.

AdobePinon Dec 2nd 2006 2:12 am

Here you go, BDG: The Official Ramen Homepage, complete with recipes:
http://mattfischer.com/ramen/

I've also got a copy of Easy RV Recipes: Easy Recipes for the Travelling Cook! by Ferne Holmes. Here, let me quote you a recipe real quick:

Hot Cheese Dip

3/4 cup chunky salsa
1 lb. Velveeta cheese

Heat salsa in pan. Cut cheese into pieces and add to salsa. Stis as cheese melts. When cheese is melted, let dip sit for three or four minutes. Stir and serve with chips or fresh raw vegetables.

AdobePinon Dec 2nd 2006 2:15 am

Oh boy, I'm so EXCITED!

Mexican Eggs

1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
4 eggs

Combine water and salsa in a fry pan and stir to mix. Heat until salsa starts to bubble. Break eggs into pan. Turn heat down and cover pan. Cook until eggs are done the way you like them.

Rushman Dec 2nd 2006 2:30 am

Davy if you are having problems making ends meet because of academic inadequacies I would be only too pleased to send you a food parcel. Have a lovely day.

AdobePinon Dec 2nd 2006 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Rushman
Davy if you are having problems making ends meet because of academic inadequacies I would be only too pleased to send you a food parcel. Have a lovely day.

Barely containing himself, he *might* just be able to refrain from adding polonium. But the longer you leave the offer, the harder it's gonna be.... :D

Rushman Dec 2nd 2006 2:45 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Barely containing himself, he *might* just be able to refrain from adding polonium. But the longer you leave the offer, the harder it's gonna be.... :D

Oh you think I am insinuating Davy might have academic inadequacies....not at all. I was merely wondering if this might be the reason he is down on his luck and looking for a meals on wheels type service. I can assure you I wouldn't imply such a thing. Have a lovely night.

NC Penguin Dec 2nd 2006 2:52 am

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Oh boy, I'm so EXCITED!

Mexican Eggs

1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups chunky salsa
4 eggs

Combine water and salsa in a fry pan and stir to mix. Heat until salsa starts to bubble. Break eggs into pan. Turn heat down and cover pan. Cook until eggs are done the way you like them.

Now if I ate those Mexican eggs, I'd probably be throwing chunks! I am allergic to eggs too...

NC Penguin

Ray Dec 2nd 2006 3:31 am

Get a wife.............

Sally Dec 2nd 2006 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Ray
Get a wife.............

A wife could be had for less than $900 a month and could proof-read his posts as well :)