Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is Hollywood portraying an anti-war view of terrorism?

Is Hollywood portraying an anti-war view of terrorism?

Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Hollywood portraying an anti-war view of terrorism?

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Exactly. Fox and, say, NPR are flip sides of the same coin. I agree with certain things they both say, but they both seem to go a few steps too far in introducing their own politicized bias into almost every story. It's like an arms race: every outlet is trying to differentiate themselves in an extremely crowded and competitive environment. The only way they can build a dedicated audience is by preaching to the converted and staying within their own editorial perspective. As more and more media outlets align themselves as "left" or "right", the outlets have to become more and more shrill in sticking to their own biases.

There's nothing wrong with this, it just means that you have to read both the Telegraph and the Independent (for example) to get an idea of what is actually happening. I'd actually prefer it if newspapers and TV networks were upfront about their own editorial position, that would make them easier to trust.
I don't think you can compare NPR, a not-for-profit organisation, to Fox, run by News Corp.

Meaning, NPR would gain nothing by being bias whereas Fox would.

I'm not saying they're not bias though, just not as much as Fox.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:10 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

There's nothing wrong with this, it just means that you have to read both the Telegraph and the Independent (for example) to get an idea of what is actually happening. I'd actually prefer it if newspapers and TV networks were upfront about their own editorial position, that would make them easier to trust.

Or if a news organisation would stick to presenting the facts, and letting us form our own opinions
Old Jan 6th 2006, 1:13 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and back to Hollywood...when the US goes to war, there is a huge increase in patriotic war movies. When the DOD allows movie makers to use their vehicles/property etc, they insist on having some control over the script - free propaganda
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick

I have 100 monkeys in my attic with typewriters and not one of them has come up with such a dumb sentence!

Typewriters :scared: Isn't it time you spent some money and bought them all lap-tops?
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:58 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Taken from FOX:

"Americans are shown to be greedy and corrupt while suicide bombers are presented as freedom fighters."

1980's England

"The UK goverment are shown to be oppressive imperialists while the IRA are presented as freedom fighters"

DISCUSS

Interesting point.
Unfortunately certain sections of society, many of whom seem to end up in the media will always try to defend the indefensible.

One thing about FOX though that no-one has mentioned but that I think is glaringly obvious - they are so cack-handed about making their points that they actually turn people away from right-wing politics. Is it therefore not entirely possible that FOX are a secret left-wing organisation created to discredit the right ???
Old Jan 6th 2006, 2:58 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
My only question is why people on this site keep watching Fox news and then complaining about it?
BBC world news is on Public TV as is The Newshour with Jim Lehrer http://www.pbs.org/newshour/.
Here's a newsflash FOX NEWS IS SHIT
Are you kidding? Fox is hilarious..... besides, it's really better to know what the enemy is up to.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:04 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Or if a news organisation would stick to presenting the facts, and letting us form our own opinions
That would be nice, but people are people and everyone has their own biases. Mark Twain said that he would never trust a newspaper that didn't loudly proclaim it's own biases. It was true in the 1870s, it's still true today.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:07 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

One thing about FOX though that no-one has mentioned but that I think is glaringly obvious - they are so cack-handed about making their points that they actually turn people away from right-wing politics. Is it therefore not entirely possible that FOX are a secret left-wing organisation created to discredit the right ???

That would assume that most of its audience have brains...
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:09 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
That would assume that most of its audience have brains...
How did your trip to chicago go by the way ??
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:09 am
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I don't think you can compare NPR, a not-for-profit organisation, to Fox, run by News Corp.

Meaning, NPR would gain nothing by being bias whereas Fox would.

I'm not saying they're not bias though, just not as much as Fox.
With all due respect, I don't buy it. NPR relies directly on contributions from other non-profits and private individuals. If anything, it's more important for NPR to keep their (primary liberal elite) listener base listening. As someone with fairly conservative/libertarian viewpoints, from my perspective NPR is extremely biased.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect, I don't buy it. NPR relies directly on contributions from other non-profits and private individuals. If anything, it's more important for NPR to keep their (primary liberal elite) listener base listening. As someone with fairly conservative/libertarian viewpoints, from my perspective NPR is extremely biased.
Well there we go, they have views to the left of yours so you consider them bias.

We could go around in circles all day!

Anyway....

Does anyone know of a right leaning not-for-profit news station? (in the Western hemisphere)
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:21 am
I approved this message

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Well there we go, they have views to the left of yours so you consider them bias.

We could go around in circles all day!

Anyway....
Just because I have a particular bias which I'll happily admit to doesn't mean that NPR isn't also biased.

Does anyone know of a right leaning not-for-profit news station? (in the Western hemisphere)
Jesus, where to stop. Let's start with Matt Drudge, Little Green Footballs or Townhall online. The blogosphere is chock-a-block full of right-wing news sites with large readerships.
There are also tons of very powerful and influential right-wing non-profit think tanks like the Hoover Instititution or Heritage Foundation.

Last edited by Hiro11; Jan 6th 2006 at 3:25 am.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
How did your trip to chicago go by the way ??
Thanks for asking!

Work was exhausting, but my day off was lovely. Spent over 3 hours at the Art Museum - had a blast!

Hope to do this again before too long!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:33 am
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks for asking!

Work was exhausting, but my day off was lovely. Spent over 3 hours at the Art Museum - had a blast!

Hope to do this again before too long!
Good stuff
Sounds like you still have plenty of things left to see on your next trip
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jesus, where to stop. Let's start with Matt Drudge, Little Green Footballs or Townhall online. The blogosphere is chock-a-block full of right-wing news sites with large readerships.
There are also tons of very powerful and influential right-wing non-profit think tanks like the Hoover Instititution or Heritage Foundation.
When I said not-for-profit news stations, I meant companies/organisations that produce content and don't make money from it.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Jan 6th 2006 at 3:38 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.