Holidays and sick days?

Wikiposts

Holidays and sick days?

Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:04 am
Just Joined

joylove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holidays and sick days?

Hi,

My new employer whisked me through a lot of the job specifics, and one quote was along the lines of
You have 15 days vacation, and 10 days sick leave, and you can have more time off if you are actually sick.
*Actual numbers might be off.

I nodded at the time, have I misunderstood, but is it normal to use 'sick days' as extra holiday?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:12 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holidays and sick days?

Sick leave is not normally used as extra holiday, but can be used for doctor's appointments or to look after sick family members. So if you've used up your ten days' leave with appointments and looking after your kid's bout with the flu, and then YOU get the flu, they'd rather you ask them for more time than try to come to work while sick.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

People tend to use sick days as vacation days (i.e. they call in sick when they are not really sick).

The company I work for had a problem with this, so years ago they lumped vacation and sick time all into one lump "Paid Time Off". You get the time off for whatever reason you want, personal, sick, vacation, whatever.

If you have something like surgery where you will be out with doctor's orders, there is something we have called "Paid Time Illness". You have to back this up with the doctor's orders that you are not to be at work.

15 days of vacation PLUS 10 days of sick leave is really, really good for your first year there!

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

joylove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
People tend to use sick days as vacation days (i.e. they call in sick when they are not really sick).
And so do people usually bring in a doctors note or call in sick each day?

I assume they don't just call in on Monday and say "erm, I'm sick and I won't be back till next Monday morning "
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joylove
And so do people usually bring in a doctors note or call in sick each day?

I assume they don't just call in on Monday and say "erm, I'm sick and I won't be back till next Monday morning "
No, they don't predict ahead like that. LOL

You'll have to ask the company what their policy is on needing a doctor's note when you take sick leave. But around here, at my company, people just call in day to day. They might even say "I don't feel well today, I'm taking today and tomorrow off to recover".

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Dh uses his as a mental health day, when he's sick and tired of his coworkers and wants some peace and quiet.
Or like yesterday when he broke down on the way to work, being late accrues penalty points and sick doesn't. Get enough points you get fired.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Employers tend to get very suspicious if you keep using sick time and often will then ask you to bring in a doctors note if there is a pattern that shows you may be abusing sick time. If you use all your sick days as personal time then you do get sick you will have to take time off unpaid. Dont forget that you probably will also get at least 11 paid holiday days as well as your vacation time.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
Employers tend to get very suspicious if you keep using sick time and often will then ask you to bring in a doctors note if there is a pattern that shows you may be abusing sick time. If you use all your sick days as personal time then you do get sick you will have to take time off unpaid. Dont forget that you probably will also get at least 11 paid holiday days as well as your vacation time.
Our company gives us 8 paid holidays a year.

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

I worked with a girl from South Africa last year and she made it her mission to have one sick day off every two weeks.! She got away with it for 9 months and then was shocked when she wanted to transfer to the Toronto office and not only did they say no but didn't renew her visa either. We had 20 days vacation, 11 paid Bank Holidays and 10 sick days.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the employer, they might let you take more time off but unpaid, or they might require you take short term disability and whatever provisions that fall under.

The requirement for doctors note and how long you are sick before needing one depends on the company and potentially the state.

Most states have zero holiday/sick time requirements.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

britinOR is an unknown quantity at this point

I work for state government and at entry level we earn 8 hours a month of sick leave and 8 hours a month of vacation leave, we also get 24 hours personal time a year. On top of there there are federal holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, memorial day etc. So that's 12 days of vacation a year, but you can use personal leave for vacation too, bringing it up to 15 days. Personal leave can be used for doctors appointments and other stuff that comes up.

People do tend to take sick days when they aren't sick, but you have to keep it quiet, like tack it onto a weekend or something, but if you take a whole week off that might look suspect if you aren't actually ill. Just be smart about it, and don't leave your co-workers in the lurch. If they get pissed off they might complain and you could get found out.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:27 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on the employer. In some places they say "sick days" are for when you are sick and when you try to use them as vacation days, you may actually be terminated for abusing the system / fraud. In others sick days actually get added up such that when you leave you get paid for the un-used sick days.

With the exception of public employees (firemen, teachers, etc) there are generally no laws on how many / few days you get off for vacation or sick days.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=lgabriel73;10251591]Employers tend to get very suspicious if you keep using sick time and often will then ask you to bring in a doctors note if there is a pattern that shows you may be abusing sick time. If you use all your sick days as personal time then you do get sick you will have to take time off unpaid. Dont forget that you probably will also get at least 11 paid holiday days as well as your vacation time.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Our company gives us 8 paid holidays a year.

Rene
I only get 6 paid holidays a year - cheap B*******ds!!!!
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point

Would be interested to know if any US companies employee mantaining a bradford factor of their employees.

I had to maintain this a team I managed in the UK for a while and it definately is an eye opener and catches "trends"
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

My boss recently told me Ihave 5 vacation days and 3.5 sick days left this year, so get them booked asap.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.