Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holidaying Back in the UK ~ Anxious?

Wikiposts

Holidaying Back in the UK ~ Anxious?

Old May 30th 2006, 10:38 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holidaying Back in the UK ~ Anxious?

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
And the Big Bird prize of the day for murdering the English language goes to.....

omg it's corrected
Old May 30th 2006, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

After going back every 6 mths or so, I had a gap of 6.5 yrs. As soon as I stepped outside the airport it was as though I'd never been away. OK somethings had changed but nothing too dramatic. Its a weird feeling, like stepping out of one life into another. The worst part is saying goodbye to elderly relatives, knowing that you might not see them again. Go book your trip and enjoy yourself.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:40 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
omg it's corrected
Just pulling your leg, I don't care really
Old May 30th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
Does/has anyone else felt anxious about going back to the UK for a visit?

I'm going back in July and it's been a year since I've been. Not as long a gap as some people but I'm feeling weird about all the same. I've quite enjoyed not going back and I'm not sure I even want to go now. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I was settling in nicely here in the US and I don't want to be unsettled by going back. Plus I don't want to experience that feeling of everything in the UK feeling a bit strange and unfamiliar. I find it quite disconcerting.

Does anyone else get the willies about going back?

Rx
I know exactly what you mean and its horrid. I wasn't loooking forward to the laast one but I assumed I'd be fine once I got there and it was crap, I got that unsettled feeling for practically the whole trip back last time, then just as you start to get used to things you come back here and get that unsettled feeling all over again, all in all had a pretty crap time... unless you're going back for a wedding or some other do, I'd stay here, seriously. After the last trip I have no intention of going back for a very long time.
Old May 30th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by woodsey
I know exactly what you mean and its horrid. I wasn't loooking forward to the laast one but I assumed I'd be fine once I got there and it was crap, I got that unsettled feeling for practically the whole trip back last time, then just as you start to get used to things you come back here and get that unsettled feeling all over again, all in all had a pretty crap time... unless you're going back for a wedding or some other do, I'd stay here, seriously. After the last trip I have no intention of going back for a very long time.
nope i don't have a problem, maybe coz we have a home there...change my money and c/cards over on the plane and just slot in as if i've never been away...great!
Old May 30th 2006, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Just pulling your leg, I don't care really
well come on english teacher and pull my leg......i'm waiting
Old May 30th 2006, 10:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What you just said got me thinking. 18mths ago was our first trip back in 6.5 yrs, wet, cold, small cars, lot of traffic, small houses with tiny rooms. We were glad to get back. Last November I went back on my own for 2 weeks, the weather was quite pleasant and I enjoyed myself. Went back with hubby for Christmas and couldn't wait to get back, too much family pressure over the holidays for my liking.
Old May 30th 2006, 11:57 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

At last someone who understands exactly what I mean.

I've got this trip and then I'm going for a week at xmas. Then that is going to be it for a good long time. I'm stressed out just thinking about it.

Xmas isn't too bad cus that's just plain weird anyway. But I really don't want to spend my whole summer back there feeling like crap. Then coming back here and having to re-adjust all over again. I was really thinking about cutting this trip short and I'm definitely leaning towards that.

The sprog can come back later with my mother as planned. Plus it gives me a couple of childless weeks here.

Thanks Woodsey.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going back in July and it's been a year since I've been. Not as long a gap as some people but I'm feeling weird about all the same. I've quite enjoyed not going back and I'm not sure I even want to go now. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

I was settling in nicely here in the US and I don't want to be unsettled by going back. Plus I don't want to experience that feeling of everything in the UK feeling a bit strange and unfamiliar. I find it quite disconcerting.

Rx

It's so weird. We came over last July and I was just totally shell-shocked, all I wanted was to go back.

Slowly I settled in and started to like it.

Now we have a visit to England booked which uses up all our holiday money and husband's vacation time. To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it. Elderly relatives are not easy, esp the in-laws who are going to be nothing short of a total nightmare. I'm not excitedly getting ready, just putting it out of my mind.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:28 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
People in the UK now have flying cars, use time travel and wear jumpsuits like the jetsons
But Coronation street still probably sucks and Eastenders sucks just about the same probably.

They do have some new inventions there though, they got electricity now LOL
Old May 30th 2006, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
It's so weird. We came over last July and I was just totally shell-shocked, all I wanted was to go back.

Slowly I settled in and started to like it.

Now we have a visit to England booked which uses up all our holiday money and husband's vacation time. To be honest, I'm not really looking forward to it. Elderly relatives are not easy, esp the in-laws who are going to be nothing short of a total nightmare. I'm not excitedly getting ready, just putting it out of my mind.
After a while you start to think why should I spend all this money going back to rainy old England and moaning rellies, when I could go elsewhere.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:46 pm
cpf
Just Joined

cpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nicecpf is just really nice

Rx
I've lived here 12 yrs and I am going home this summer for the first time in a year or so. Yes, I get the willies about going back, but mostly because I have such a wonderful time that I don't want to come back here. The whole getting used to being back home just as you have to leave is heartwrenching, so I can see why you would be nervous about it. I think one of the weirdest feelings you have to get used to as an expat is belonging nowhere anymore. You don't truly belong in your adopted country because you're not a native and you don't feel really at home in your native land because you've been away too long. All that hits you when you shift from one country to another. But, I can't imagine not visiting because I always feel the need to reconnect, see friends and family and, as my husband says, get a recharge on my accent.

Good Luck, C
Old May 30th 2006, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about

Rx
Very little changes in the UK. The people are pretty much always the same. Only the politicians change, and the political policies. Soon as you get back onto British soil it will like you were never away.
Old May 30th 2006, 1:43 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Rx

A year is not long at all to feel that way about going to Britain but no-one can tell you how to feel, that's all up to you. I always feel like it's some kind of adventure when I go home, I don't know why. But for me, the hardest thing in the world is the last day when I'm packing up and getting ready to leave, I get sick to my stomach even after all these years. I can't stand being seperated from my friends and family, absolutely hate it!
Old May 30th 2006, 2:36 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Rx

Hey, I have been over here for more than a year and i honestly have not had a serious compulsion to go back (apart from certain food cravings ) I have found myself pretty well integrated into american life (apart from the whole having to drive thing ) I am happy and i dont really see myself going back for some time, probably not for at least six months, but thats partly because of hubbys job and that ive started up school again. I could see myself getting pretty anxious myself when we actually make a trip to london.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.