Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday Websites

Holiday Websites

Old May 20th 2005, 7:08 pm
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Holiday Websites

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites for cheap all inclusive holidays? I have checked out things like Expedia but will relatively little luck - is there anything like Teletext or Thomson/Lunn Poly?

Thanks
Mrs C
Old May 20th 2005, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Websites

Haven't seen anything like lunn poly, but there are plenty of small agents around, depending on where you are...done a google for your city and agents?

There's a few other sites like orbitz.com and http://www.travelocity.com/ that could be handy as well..

Last edited by Bob; May 20th 2005 at 7:42 pm.
Old May 20th 2005, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

strim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant futurestrim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Chandler
Hi All

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good websites for cheap all inclusive holidays? I have checked out things like Expedia but will relatively little luck - is there anything like Teletext or Thomson/Lunn Poly?

Thanks
Mrs C
you might be able to get a good deal on priceline.com
Old May 20th 2005, 8:22 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Holiday Websites

Hi All

Thanks
Mrs C
Where are you thinking of going to?

There are hardly any package companies in the US.....probably because only 10% of US citizens actually have a passport! We live within commuting distance of NYC and most of our neighbours seem to do the same thing, going to the same place every Summer...they either own a holiday home or their relatives do on the (New) Jersey Shore, Cape Cod, Maine, Vermont etc.

At least in the New York area there is Liberty Travel (I've seen their travel agencies in Manhatten, can't remember where though!) and there is a charter travel company called Apple Vacations which owns the USA3000 airline - they do have flights out of Newark (and you can book airline seats seperately). Here are some links:

http://www.applevacations.com

http://www.usa3000.com

http://www.clubmed.com

http://www.libertytravel.com

And for last minute getaways which you can book up to as late as 3 hours before departure, there is Site59.com which is part of the UK's 'Lastminute travel.com group....which I've heard has in turn just been purchased by Travelocity earlier this week...). I took a last minute break with my daughter to Aruba last September and got an excellent price:

http://www.site59.com

Also you can sometimes pick up some good travel promotions on the USA Today newspaper website in the travel section.

My very favourite website for checking up on the quality of hotels in most places in the US and overseas is:

http://www.tripadvisor.com - it's a 'warts and all' synopsis from recent guests, rather than the usual glowing reports from travel writers...

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Englishmum; May 20th 2005 at 8:25 pm.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Thanks
Mrs C
We're trying to book our summer vacation at the moment and are doing the usual expedia, orbitz and travelocity. Last year I spent a couple of weeks doing the same thing and managed to get an absolute bargain to the Bahamas, I think Orbitz made a mistake but because I booked it as soon as it came up we got a fabulous holiday for half the price it should have been. We also tried Libertytravel.com but they were dearer than the others, however I recently read a report that if you go into Liberty Travel with details of an offer from one of the internet companies they can often come up with a cheaper price. I think I may try that this year

Other than that booking your own flights and hotels can sometimes work out a bit cheaper, that definitely applies to booking hotels direct who will often match the internet price and upgrade the room.

Good luck.
Old May 20th 2005, 9:46 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Where are you thinking of going to?

There are hardly any package companies in the US.....probably because only 10% of US citizens actually have a passport! We live within commuting distance of NYC and most of our neighbours seem to do the same thing, going to the same place every Summer...they either own a holiday home or their relatives do on the (New) Jersey Shore, Cape Cod, Maine, Vermont etc.
I was talking to a couple who are in thier 70's at the park today. They are going on a tour of China next week!! I was pleasently surprised and impressed they have the balls to explore other parts of the world.
Old May 21st 2005, 1:04 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite is:

http://www.travelzoo.com/

Booked my last two trips from there. They don't sell the vacations themselves, but have links to a bunch of great deals.

I second tripadvisor.com too
Old May 21st 2005, 9:46 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Holiday Websites

Here's another one for travel (including trips to the UK):

http://www.go-today.com
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to beholdbxpuser7543 is a splendid one to behold

Hi All

Thanks
Mrs C
Slightly different,we booked ,flights/car/hotel/wedding ceremony/photographer for ourwedding/ honeymoon cheaper online ourselves than a "travel agent" could do it