Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Wikiposts

Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You left out the cream and butter..... It is truly the 'no worries' society.
And they also smoke 2 packs a day each!

Goes to show that stress kills more people earlier than boozin, smokin, and taking holidays!
Old Sep 20th 2006, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
we get 15 days vaca + 6 days sick.

our company is fairly relaxed regarding taking time off tho.

woohoo ... and randomly our boss decides its "holiday time" we just got halloween week off..
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:23 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
We get 5 sick days off a year. After that, if you're off sick, you don't get paid.
Yes it does suck.
I always find it funny that over here they say you have 2 weeks off, when what you really have off is 10 business days. In the UK 2 weeks means 2 7-day weeks.
Anywhere i've worked hols are always the same - 2 weeks = just that - 2 weeks which equated to 10 work days. I've never worked anywhere where 2 weeks vacation meant 14 business days - that's uk or us.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:31 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kev_in_hawaii
I knew that the USA wouldn't be up to the UK in terms of time off - I've been working here in Hawaii for 6 months and I've earned just about enough time to take off 3 whole days! It's supposed to get better next year (up to 2 weeks + carry over time).

This in itself is OK (since I only live 5 minutes walk from work = long evenings) - but the company insists that any sick time comes out of your vacation time. Presumably to stop too many 'sickies'!

Is this usual policy for US companies? It means you have to come in when you're genuinely sick because you don't want to lose what little time off you have!

Still, I'm not too cut up about it, I'm happy I was able to get a decent job fairly quicky
Hubby had paid sick days...and 4 weeks holiday in his first year...plus 3 anytime days and a few US holidays....they have now stop the sick days and given them as extra holiday time....which is tons better because we use them up Christmas/New Year if hubby is not sick in the year...
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
We have the sick time comes out of vacation also but my boss is a star. He isn't a stickler and has sent me home before when I have been ill without counting it.

On the flip side, when I worked in England one of my colleague's daughters worked in France as part of a french degree program. She got 45 days off a year! The minimum you could take I think was 3 days at a time!
Hubbys place does not count it as a sick day if they send you home...they even give him extra half days if we need to catch a plane to go away...we can't moan about the company at all when it comes to time off....
Old Sep 20th 2006, 2:45 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Dan725
Ah, my favourite subject! I'm saying nowt, me....
Is this Danny...if so hi...if not hi anyway....
Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:24 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, you've all shown me just how lucky I am!

I get 15 days vacation, plus 12 days of public holidays (including a Xmas shutdown). I also get unlimited short duration sick leave (<5 consecutive days) and unlimited personal days (at my manager's discretion).

As I said, apparently I'm very lucky indeed.
Old Sep 20th 2006, 3:52 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Anywhere i've worked hols are always the same - 2 weeks = just that - 2 weeks which equated to 10 work days. I've never worked anywhere where 2 weeks vacation meant 14 business days - that's uk or us.
you've never had the delight of working in Blackburn
Old Sep 20th 2006, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

kev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud ofkev_in_hawaii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by newbieloubie
I get 15 "vacation" days and two personal days (whatever those are).

My firm only recognises 10 of the US Public Holidays - is this the same for everyone else?
Yeah we get those too. Can't wait for November when we get 2 of 'em!

I used to get 30 days off + public holidays in the UK. Bit of a contrast here!

But that's the way it is...the funny thing is, as someone else mentioned, alot of Americans seem to bother more about earning $$ and coming in all the time, rather than taking vacation. It's not uncommon to speak to people where I work who have 500-600 hours stored up to take, and are forced to take some of those hours because they'll lose them otherwise!
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, this lack of vacation is the real reason why most Americans do not have passports. I'm considering shredding mine, since I arrived as a permanent resident 2 years ago, it has not seen the light of day.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:03 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Holiday...sorry...Vacation Time (or Lack of)

Of course, this lack of vacation is the real reason why most Americans do not have passports.
.....also in my opinion why so many Americans are stressed out and take pills for stress-related physical and mental ailments.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 12:17 am
Position - Offside

Location: Harvest, Alabama from Newport Pagnell, Bucks/Mitcham, Surrey
Lynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond reputeLynne has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we get those too. Can't wait for November when we get 2 of 'em!

I used to get 30 days off + public holidays in the UK. Bit of a contrast here!

But that's the way it is...the funny thing is, as someone else mentioned, alot of Americans seem to bother more about earning $$ and coming in all the time, rather than taking vacation. It's not uncommon to speak to people where I work who have 500-600 hours stored up to take, and are forced to take some of those hours because they'll lose them otherwise!
I also used to get 30 days paid vacation, plus holidays, plus two weeks at Christmas plus 14 sick days. Then I came here and got three weeks paid vacation, paid holidays and no sick. Most of the people around here always seem to be on vacation but tend to take shorter trips. They spend a lot of time at the beach leaving early Friday and coming back Sunday night. For me its a waste of time taking a six hour drive for such a small time. If you are lucky enough to work with a government contractor or NASA around here then you come and go as you please. Try calling one of these agencies after 2:30 on a Friday. lolol Or between 11:00 and 2:30 weekdays.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lynne
I also used to get 30 days paid vacation, plus holidays, plus two weeks at Christmas plus 14 sick days. Then I came here and got three weeks paid vacation, paid holidays and no sick. Most of the people around here always seem to be on vacation but tend to take shorter trips. They spend a lot of time at the beach leaving early Friday and coming back Sunday night. For me its a waste of time taking a six hour drive for such a small time. If you are lucky enough to work with a government contractor or NASA around here then you come and go as you please. Try calling one of these agencies after 2:30 on a Friday. lolol Or between 11:00 and 2:30 weekdays.
Nice place Huntsville, I've done some work on the base there on a few occasions. Amazing contrast with the surrounding area, as your signature says! Rocket scientists being paid California wages to live in Alabama, no wonder they are all laid back and not stressed!
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:24 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

N...........being paid California wages to live in Alabama, no wonder they are all laid back and not stressed!
... and no doubt bored out of their wits...
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 2:26 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

This in itself is OK (since I only live 5 minutes walk from work = long evenings) - but the company insists that any sick time comes out of your vacation time. Presumably to stop too many 'sickies'!

Is this usual policy for US companies? It means you have to come in when you're genuinely sick because you don't want to lose what little time off you have!
I've lived and worked in the US most of my life, and I've never worked for a company that uses vacation time as sick time. I've never known anyone else whose employer did that, either. Sound bizarre to me.

On the upside, you live in Hawaii, so to me that would be like being on permanent vacation anyway...

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.