Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday rental Orlando Florida

Holiday rental Orlando Florida

Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

markcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond reputemarkcst has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday rental Orlando Florida

If you want a place to spend around four weeks a year that's risk free, look at buying DVC points 2nd hand. Lot of people selling those right now, and there is a good market in resale of the points (as long as you don't buy direct from Disney). You won't make a profit but you might find when you do the math is less of a burden than a house a few thousand miles away, and as long as you own for at least 10 years you'll get cheaper holidays at Disney than hotel prices.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 5:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday rental Orlando Florida

Originally Posted by Canveydave
I have mentioned on here before that I have owned more than one Florida Vacation home.

Problems include
1.) Managing a property remotely from 4,000 miles away
2.) The work required to rent it out 32 weeks a year in the hope of breaking even
3.) The frequent robberies (only of TV's) we encountered
4.) The fact that no matter how hard you try it is still a home to you and a glorified hotel to your guests. You will be very frustrated during the 4 weeks you get to stay in it just how poorly your stuff has been treated
5.) It is a money pit

Positives
1.) Somewhere to stay on vacation
2.) You can boast to everyone that you have a house in Florida

I live here now and I wouldn't buy a house here (without permanent residency). It was a constant source of stress and work and I am glad to be out of it.