Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday Question

Holiday Question

Old Mar 29th 2003, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

mynameismonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday Question

Hi. I'm going home to Wales for a few weeks, taking my US wife and US-born son (w/ US passport) with me. Anything I should know? Can we enter together? Different entry procedures? Any possible/probable hiccups?

TIA

Jaz
Old Mar 29th 2003, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday Question

Originally posted by mynameismonkey
Hi. I'm going home to Wales for a few weeks, taking my US wife and US-born son (w/ US passport) with me. Anything I should know? Can we enter together? Different entry procedures? Any possible/probable hiccups?

TIA

Jaz

If its just a visit for a few weeks, and everyone involved has valid passports etc, then there's no problem. You'll go through different lanes at immigration when you get off plane at heathrow (if you're going through on UK passport, and they're going
Old Mar 29th 2003, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

TIA

Jaz

If its just a visit for a few weeks, and everyone involved has valid passports etc, then there's no problem. You'll go through different lanes at immigration when you get off plane at heathrow (if you're going through on UK passport, and they're going through on their US passports) but that should just mean a shortish delay due to lenght of the line-up...after that should be no problems...they might get asked about where they're staying, but if its for visit they could well be just waved through...
Old Mar 29th 2003, 7:30 pm
Emm
BE Enthusiast

Emm is an unknown quantity at this point

TIA

Jaz
Hi jaz,

When you arrive in the country you can go through the EU channel (which is shorter and quicker) and your wife and son will have to go through the 'other nationals' channel, which takes much longer (depending on what planes have just landed, etc.).

You are allowed to go through the 'other nationals' channel with them but they cannot go through the EU channel with you.

As far as visa's go I really don't have a clue.

It might be worth applying for an EU passport for your son while you are in the UK, if you are a British citizen and named as the father on the birth certificate I think he is entitled to dual citizenship. It may even make it easier for your wife if she wants to apply for British citizenship in the future having a husband and son that are British citizens.

You can always send an email to the Britsh Consulate in the US and ask them any questions that you have, they are very helpful and can let you know what you are entitled to.

I hope that helps and have a good holiday.