Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday insurance wanted for 65yrs old from uk

Wikiposts

Holiday insurance wanted for 65yrs old from uk

Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday insurance wanted for 65yrs old from uk

Yes I'm pretty surprised, because under normal insurance protocol she wouldn't have had a chance in hell at getting them to pay any of it. First an unmentioned serious illness, then no doctor's clearance to fly?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Without knowing all the details, really impossible to comment, plus I have little knowledge of Swedish or Norwegian Insurance practice.

From a UK perspective, it would be a very odd outcome.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Without knowing all the details, really impossible to comment, plus I have little knowledge of Swedish or Norwegian Insurance practice.

From a UK perspective, it would be a very odd outcome.
Having fought with a travel insurance policy bought it the UK, I would certainly agree.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have thought you could buy a policy from Sweden or Norway that would cover you if you didn't live there?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
I wouldn't have thought you could buy a policy from Sweden or Norway that would cover you if you didn't live there?
My fiance purchased a policy from a UK travel agency, with a company in Florida taking the calls, and backed by a company in Holland I believe.

Who were complete liars cheats and theives. We won - but it was a heck of a battle. The only decent batch were the folks in Florida - they actually tried to help.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Normally that would be the case. Not always legally, but for obvious underwriting reasons much of this is county specific.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
My fiance purchased a policy from a UK travel agency, with a company in Florida taking the calls, and backed by a company in Holland I believe.

Who were complete liars cheats and theives. We won - but it was a heck of a battle. The only decent batch were the folks in Florida - they actually tried to help.
Gotta love the Dutch. Just spent 7 years there myself. Never had a problem claiming all manner of items on my travel insurance - wedding rings, ipods, suitcases...but my policy was sold in Holland and regulated in Holland which has very strong consumer rights.

I just find it weird because I don't see how the FSA (UK industry watchdog) can regulate companies that aren't based in the UK. Which would mean you would have no comeback if you got mistreated, basically setting yourself up for misery.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gotta love the Dutch. Just spent 7 years there myself. Never had a problem claiming all manner of items on my travel insurance - wedding rings, ipods, suitcases...but my policy was sold in Holland and regulated in Holland which has very strong consumer rights.

I just find it weird because I don't see how the FSA (UK industry watchdog) can regulate companies that aren't based in the UK. Which would mean you would have no comeback if you got mistreated, basically setting yourself up for misery.
I think it would come back on the company that sold you the policy - who was in the UK.

We took the matter to the UK financial ombudsman, who made them pay up.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

The European Directive allows cross border products.

But usually this is only of interest in Commercial programmes.

For example your UK based mutinational does not have to have fronting policies in France if they have a global policy.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

http://www.aarp.org/health/insurance/

Sort of US Help the Aged but starts at 50 plus, I get their flyers which often include schemes directed at the older age group.

But there is no ideal solution, there was a bit today on the local morning news channel, on the lines of they thought they were isured and look whathappened to them, it could happen to you.