Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday Insurance foe Elderly Relative

Holiday Insurance foe Elderly Relative

Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Insurance foe Elderly Relative

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That's the way I read it.
Maybe I'm missing something, but it kind of defeats the point of insurance though. Since your pre-existing conditions are what is most likely to cause you problems. Wouldn't be my choice.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

linda and nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
But if they aren't covering the pre-existing conditions, they won't pay if he has a problem remotely related in the US. Or did I misunderstand?
Yes, that's correct. Isn't that the same with all or most travel cover?
I know he has been quoted about £260 for the same cover with Saga. As he goes to the States almost every year he just hopes that his diabetes, high blood pressure etc don't cause him problems.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm missing something, but it kind of defeats the point of insurance though. Since your pre-existing conditions are what is most likely to cause you problems. Wouldn't be my choice.
Yep I wouldn't be comfortable travelling with that sort of coverage.
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linda and nick
Yes, that's correct. Isn't that the same with all or most travel cover?
I know he has been quoted about £260 for the same cover with Saga. As he goes to the States almost every year he just hopes that his diabetes, high blood pressure etc don't cause him problems.
It is the same for almost all cover. Which is why I recommended Medi-cover, their specialty is covering pre-existing conditions. You declare all conditions for which you require cover, i.e. any that you think might cause trouble. You can calculate the cost with the various conditions on their website. Of course, they charge more.

Again, I don't know if they cover the elderly, I am sorry.
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:33 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
I have a UK pal living here who has an elderly relative who has had serious health issues in the past 5 years. How likely is it that they would be able to get travel insurance to visit them here? The relative in question is over 70 and has had strokes among other things.
Hi CB
My parents 81 & 83 came over in 2006 for a 6 week visit. I found them a great insurance with American Express UK which covered pre-existing conditions. My mum had cancer some years ago and my dad had high blood pressure. About 9 weeks after she had purchased the insurance (before they visited) my mum was admitted to hospital with duodenal ulcer. They notified American Express as soon as she was dishcarged and Amex wrote another policy for no extra charge to include this condition. Cost about 250 GBP for both of them. They weren't particularly bothered about my dad's high BP.
Best of luck
Maggie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hi CB
My parents 81 & 83 came over in 2006 for a 6 week visit. I found them a great insurance with American Express UK which covered pre-existing conditions. My mum had cancer some years ago and my dad had high blood pressure. About 9 weeks after she had purchaesed the insurance (before they visited) my mum was admitted to hospital with duodenal ulcer. They notified American Express as soon as she was dishcarged and Amex wrote another policy for no extra charge to include this condition. Cost about 250 GBP for both of them. They weren't particularly bothered about my dad's high BP.
Best of luck
Maggie
Do you have to be an American Express member? And if so, would a US Amex card count?

Oh yes, and hi neighbor. (waves)
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:48 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have to be an American Express member? And if so, would a US Amex card count?

Oh yes, and hi neighbor. (waves)
Hello again

I've just checked the American Express UK web site and it seems they have changed their policy and only cover up to age 79. How bad is that? My parents booked their insurance in Nov 2005 for their trip in June 2006. It's amazing what can change in a year. So sorry.

Hello Tracey, waving back at you! By the way, my parents don't have an Amex card or members.

Maggie
Old Mar 21st 2007, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maggs
Hello again

I've just checked the American Express UK web site and it seems they have changed their policy and only cover up to age 79. How bad is that? My parents booked their insurance in Nov 2005 for their trip in June 2006. It's amazing what can change in a year. So sorry.

Hello Tracey, waving back at you! By the way, my parents don't have an Amex card or members.

Maggie
Hi, I'm in Crystal Lake. So pretty far northwest.