Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday home owner´s what travel insurance do you have ?

Holiday home owner´s what travel insurance do you have ?

Old Aug 18th 2021, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday home owner´s what travel insurance do you have ?

I've searched but can´t seem to find any threads on this here or anywhere for that matter.

I am sure there are many here like me who own a home in the US and travel back and forth throughout the year and obtain travel insurance for their trips, or at least did before the Covid madness.

My annual policy is for multiple trips of I believe up to 90 days, I have never claimed anything but have had at the back of my mind, what if I had an accident whilst working on my house, or ended up needing a hospital stay, would my insurance try to renege on covering me because I own a home and that technically their travel insurance is for people on vacation to Disney but not home owners like us ?

Has anyone here had any experience of claims in this scenario or managed to find bespoke insurance for second home owners ?

Any thoughts appreciated

Old Aug 18th 2021, 10:50 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday home owner´s what travel insurance do you have ?

What do you use to enter the US? ESYA? If so, the fact you are a visitor is built into your status. That's pretty compelling evidence you're not a resident, which is what they would probably try to claim.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Howmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond reputeHowmuch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
What do you use to enter the US? ESYA? If so, the fact you are a visitor is built into your status. That's pretty compelling evidence you're not a resident, which is what they would probably try to claim.
I have a B1/B2 Visa which is still a tourist Visa but we all know what insurance companies are like !!
Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Travel insurance is not just about being a tourist and "for people on vacation to Disney". When I travelled frequently from UK to the US for work I had travel insurance. I was not a tourist and certainly it was no vacation!

You are travelling abroad from your normal place of residence and that is what travel insurance is for. Read the small print, but I would have no concerns.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Travel insurance is not just about being a tourist and "for people on vacation to Disney". When I travelled frequently from UK to the US for work I had travel insurance. I was not a tourist and certainly it was no vacation!

You are travelling abroad from your normal place of residence and that is what travel insurance is for. Read the small print, but I would have no concerns.
This is the way I've always thought, the wife got a bit worried when I decided to jet wash our roof last year and cut some large branches from one of our trees around 15ft up the tree !
this bought up our questions about what travel insurance really means and what they would cover in our particular situation.

I live in Spain, my sister had a nasty fall from a balcony here several years ago and ended up in hospital for a number of days, the ambulance wanted to know if she had travel insurance, when we said yes they whipped her to the closest private hospital who took her husbands credit card on arrival, the bill was over 10k for what I remember was 2 days and numerous tests, her insurance company wanted all her records and finally denied any claim because when filling in her claim they asked if she had drank alcohol that day ? she had and answered honestly on the paperwork and her claim was denied, looking later most travel insurance include an “Alcohol Exclusion” clause !

Hence my question, if they can deny any claims for travel insurance if god forbid you had a beer on vacation, what chance have I got if jet washing a roof....