Reload this Page >

holiday home(or not!)

holiday home(or not!)

Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

justdreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
Default holiday home(or not!)

Hi,
can anyone tell me if the process of buying a holiday home in Florida is straightforward? We are considering the area around Tarpon Springs as it has a large Greek influence there. It would be great to hear from anyone in this location.
Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

henryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond reputehenryh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: holiday home(or not!)

Try http://www.thefloridaforums.com/forum/
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a home is pretty straight forward....insuring it and maintaining it a little less so...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 9:49 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say.... not.

HTH
Old Jun 14th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Buying a home is pretty straight forward....insuring it and maintaining it a little less so...
... and getting a visa that will let you spend a significant amount of time in it will make the buying, insuring and maintaining part of it seem really simple ...
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
... and getting a visa that will let you spend a significant amount of time in it will make the buying, insuring and maintaining part of it seem really simple ...
well tbf, they didn't mention long holidays...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

TeresaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by md95065
yep - I agree ! I bought my holiday home in Feb 2008 and applied for a B2 with the intention of spending 6 mths a year there. I was initially denied a visa but then was happily travelling on the VWP for up to 90 days (then 90 days back in the UK). Then when the ESTA came in we were denied permission to travel and I found myself having to re-apply for the B2.

This time my application was successful but the first time I got to use it I and my three children were taken to secondary and questioned. We were allowed in but I practically have a nervous breakdown everytime I travel (probably why the secondary as I'm sure I must look like a criminal - I definitely feel like one).

It has been pure stubborness and a refusal to let the system diminish the pleasure I get from my holiday home that has kept me going thus far.

However, it now looks like I may sell up. I have the option of applying to change my status to H2B for a 12 mth temporary position that would seriously improve my UK business but the amount of grief I have had with the visas is making me think again.

How much time were you hoping to spend at your holiday home ? Would visas be an issue with this in mind ? I'd be asking visa questions before I even looked at property brochures but having said that I wouldn't be me if I didn't go 100% for what I want.

Good luck whatever you decide
Old Jul 15th 2009, 4:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheaper to rent.

And you are not stuck with it.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Speaking from experience it is definitely cheaper to rent.....

However in saying that it is really nice to have a home away from home with all your personal stuff there. If you can afford it why not. I would only do it if you can afford to pay cash for the house.

We have a place in HI and it is great, the kids have all their stuff and it is really another home for us.

But at the end of the day (even at the end of a beautiful day in Hawaii) every time you do the numbers it is much cheaper to rent......