Reload this Page >

Holiday entitlement

Holiday entitlement

Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

flagunitas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday entitlement

Hi!

i have a sticky situation that im not sure how to go about.....

I am a UK citizen working for a US company in San Francisco. My wife and I will be moving back to the UK in March. My employee has decided to open up business in London and picked their resident Brit to head things up for them. We're extremely happy and excited to be going back to the UK especially with our new job opportunities...

Here's the situation: My employer is setting up payroll for a US company to pay a Brit in the UK(this was more complicated than i thought but we worked it out), they're helping me move and setting us up with temporary housing when we get there etc etc

But yesterday it dawned on me that they have no idea about UK holiday entitlement......I mean, am i allowed to ask for the minimum or because its an intra company transfer i can only get what the US peeps get??

I don't want to come over as it all being about wanting more holidays to my employer but at the same time if i should be getting more than 10 days a year should i be asking for it?

ANy advice on this would be great, im not sure what i should be asking for and how to go about it.

thanks
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday entitlement

I've worked both in the UK and US and Europe.

Every company I've worked with observed the average # of holidays for the country it was based in. That's how it's usually done. There may even be local laws as there is in Europe for example.

I don't think you're wrong to bring this up just find a way to document some points and present them to HR.

It was initially tough when I came to the US but living in CA, working from home, and all the 3 day weekends made up for it.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by flagunitas
Hi!

i have a sticky situation that im not sure how to go about.....

I am a UK citizen working for a US company in San Francisco. My wife and I will be moving back to the UK in March. My employee has decided to open up business in London and picked their resident Brit to head things up for them. We're extremely happy and excited to be going back to the UK especially with our new job opportunities...

Here's the situation: My employer is setting up payroll for a US company to pay a Brit in the UK(this was more complicated than i thought but we worked it out), they're helping me move and setting us up with temporary housing when we get there etc etc

But yesterday it dawned on me that they have no idea about UK holiday entitlement......I mean, am i allowed to ask for the minimum or because its an intra company transfer i can only get what the US peeps get??

I don't want to come over as it all being about wanting more holidays to my employer but at the same time if i should be getting more than 10 days a year should i be asking for it?

ANy advice on this would be great, im not sure what i should be asking for and how to go about it.

thanks
Hi flagunitas

UK government information on holiday entitlement.

https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitleme...ts/entitlement

It takes a while to get used to from going from the north american 10 days leave in a new job (plus public holidays). In my current role ( after 4 years) I get 44 days/year and have trouble taking enough time off work.

Hudd
Old Jan 4th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

You need to tell them, the laws are different and they need to comply with the laws of the county where you are working. I am sure that 4 weeks is the minimum for someone working full time which in the UK is considered as 37.5hours.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

This issue needs to be part of the contract negotiations you have with regard the job as a whole.

Don't quite understand what you mean by "setting up a US company to pay a Brit in the UK" - are you being paid in the UK and paying UK deductions and taxes or is this some expat deal where you get paid in the UK but all deductions etc are made in the US? i.e you are being seconded to the UK but are still paying US taxes?

If the second scenario then you company may not have to follow UK vacation allowances.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

flagunitas is an unknown quantity at this point

Your second scenario isn't legal. If you work in the UK you must pay UK taxes.

It's a US based company working in UK.