Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Holiday to California

Holiday to California

Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Holiday to California

Hey yall ,

I've snuck over from the middle eastern forum to ask some advice on an up and coming holiday. So if anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful for any tips on must sees and must dos.

I'm traveling for just over two weeks mid Sept. We're picking up a hire car for the duration of the trip.

Flying into San Francisco then out to Napa Valley, Yosemite, Las Vegas, down through Death Valley to Los Angeles and then up the coastline to San Francisco and possibly up to Eureka.

4 girls with a mix of interests, I'm a big photography fan, also culture, tourist sites, whale watching, a bit of adrenaline stuff or active stuff, good nightlife as well as some off the beaten track stuff, basically a bit of everything.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

KC
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday to California

Where are you going to be staying in LA?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hey yall ,

I've snuck over from the middle eastern forum to ask some advice on an up and coming holiday. So if anyone has any advice I'd be really grateful for any tips on must sees and must dos.

I'm traveling for just over two weeks mid Sept. We're picking up a hire car for the duration of the trip.

Flying into San Francisco then out to Napa Valley, Yosemite, Las Vegas, down through Death Valley to Los Angeles and then up the coastline to San Francisco and possibly up to Eureka.

4 girls with a mix of interests, I'm a big photography fan, also culture, tourist sites, whale watching, a bit of adrenaline stuff or active stuff, good nightlife as well as some off the beaten track stuff, basically a bit of everything.

KC
I suggest you forget the whale watching if you plan to do it Northern California. When you get a mile off the coast, the fog hits and temperatures drop dramatically.

If you are into adventure, there is white water rafting on the Russian river near the wine country. However with the snow pack low this year, there may be more rocks than water by September.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally,
Undecided yet, still outlining the trip so working out how many days to stay where, any recommendations?

Hi Michael,
Ok thanks for that. :-)

KC
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sally,
Undecided yet, still outlining the trip so working out how many days to stay where, any recommendations?

Hi Michael,
Ok thanks for that. :-)

KC
Santa Monica is nice and you can then drive up Pacific Coast Highway on your way back to San Franciso.

LA is so spread out, you can spend a lot of time sitting in traffic unfortunately.

These are some places we take visitors:

Hollywood. See the handprints and stars on the walk of fame, not a huge amount there but worth a quick look. Park at the mall.

$2 Parking | Hollywood and Highland center

Venice Beach

Not far from Santa Monica, fun atmosphere.

Malibu

https://www.google.com/search?q=mali...ih=445&dpr=1.5

This area shows the natural lagoon, close to the beach, there is a nice shopping/eating area nearby.

Malibu Country Mart : Home

Also this historic house is fascinating:

Welcome to Adamson House

Getty Center

2 locations - you have to book ahead for parking at the Villa

Visit the Getty

Drive down Sunset Blvd

Olvera St

The original part of LA

Olvera Street - Visit Us
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Santa Monica is nice and you can then drive up Pacific Coast Highway on your way back to San Franciso.

LA is so spread out, you can spend a lot of time sitting in traffic unfortunately.

These are some places we take visitors:

Hollywood. See the handprints and stars on the walk of fame, not a huge amount there but worth a quick look. Park at the mall.

$2 Parking | Hollywood and Highland center

Venice Beach

Not far from Santa Monica, fun atmosphere.

Malibu

https://www.google.com/search?q=mali...ih=445&dpr=1.5

This area shows the natural lagoon, close to the beach, there is a nice shopping/eating area nearby.

Malibu Country Mart : Home

Also this historic house is fascinating:

Welcome to Adamson House

Getty Center

2 locations - you have to book ahead for parking at the Villa

Visit the Getty

Drive down Sunset Blvd

Olvera St

The original part of LA

Olvera Street - Visit Us
I was also going to recommend going to Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and Balboa Island since those are nice areas that are more country and I thought the RMS Queen Mary was at Balboa Island but I discovered it has been moved to Long Beach.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

In n Out Burger. Double double and fries 'animal' style.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
I was also going to recommend going to Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, and Balboa Island since those are nice areas that are more country and I thought the RMS Queen Mary was at Balboa Island but I discovered it has been moved to Long Beach.
Depends how much time they have. They are fitting quite a lot into two weeks. Personally I wouldn't bother with Las Vegas.
Originally Posted by Macca67
I still haven't been there.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Those animal style fries sound like poutine with a west coast twist .. The onions look good but not sure about the dressing.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hang your head in shame, lady.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When my son (the one that always wants to go to expensive restaurants) visits from the east, he usually wants to got to In n Out for lunch one day.

Unlike most other fast food burger chains (McD, Burger King, Jack-In-The-Box, etc.), they don't pre-cook and then reheat their burgers so the wait to get your order is significantly longer.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a lot of mileage to cover in 2 weeks. Personally, I would do San Fran down to LA via route 1. If you do it that way, you are on the ocean side of the road. You probably want to factor in 2 days for that though. Pismo Beach is a great little place to spend the night. Santa Monica is an awesome place, for me, it's a must visit. The drive out to Vegas from LA used to take me about 5 hours, but that was with a couple of stops in Barstow and Primm for some outlet shopping. No idea how long Vegas to Yosemite would take via Death Valley, never done it (you don't go through Death Valley between LA and Vegas, although it all desert once you clear San Bernardino). Yosemite to San Fran is about 3 to 3 and a half hour drive.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
When my son (the one that always wants to go to expensive restaurants) visits from the east, he usually wants to got to In n Out for lunch one day.

Unlike most other fast food burger chains (McD, Burger King, Jack-In-The-Box, etc.), they don't pre-cook and then reheat their burgers so the wait to get your order is significantly longer.
I hear they are good, I really should try them.
Hang your head in shame, lady.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much time they have. They are fitting quite a lot into two weeks. Personally I wouldn't bother with Las Vegas.

you have 1 month to realize what you've been missing
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:03 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey yall ,

KC
We've used Platypus Tours twice for our wine tasting tour in Napa, they are very good I'd highly recommend them. To enjoy the day, you don't want anyone to be driving.

For such a short trip, stay in Yosemite Valley, it's more expensive but you don't have the time to drive in and out of the valley at an hour each way. Plan your trip so you go to Mariposa Grove and see the giant trees on the morning that you leave the park, as it's right out by the exit of the park.

I too would do SF to LA on PCH1, to be on the coast side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.