Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Originally Posted by Bob
Shop around...that's when you get best rates, if you don't, they don't tend to bother.

It's another annoying dancing game...but location is certainly quite a big factor.

Our insurance after almost 7 years is still double of what we were paying when we lived up in Maine for same level of coverage and back then it was only 1-2 years of US driving history :/
Yes I should - although last time I did so I couldn't get anything better.

I think one of the big problems in LA is the high number of uninsured drivers.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 7:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We have 3 vehicles insured between the two of us, and many many years of good driver points ours is $64 a month none of the cars/truck have full cover, none are worth much Two taurus and one Suburban.
I think the amount quoted for utilities and property tax are low. If you are renting you don't pay the property tax (unless this is a new thing) Gas we pay a year round $45 but aren't using any heat as I bought firewood this year so it's just for cooking and hot water. Electric we pay $45 in winter and $150 to $200 a month in summer, but use A/C if you are in San Francisco city you probably won't need it, if you are over the hill in say Pleasanton you probably will use it.
Dh commutes 50 miles each way takes him just over an hour depending on traffic, he spends $100 a week on gas. I do the school run and go grocery shopping and use about $50 a week, but the school is two miles away and going to get milk/go to the gym is 10 miles away.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

OK now for the flip side of the discussion:

If a "tier 1 global consulting firm" is only offering you $130k to work as a consulting manager in one of the three most expensive locations in the US, in all honesty it doesn't sound like they really want you there, or they're taking the p!ss and trying to find out how badly you want the job.

I made the mistake once of accepting an offer without thinking more about market salaries and the cost of living, it got me a toe hold in the US, but I left after only 8 months.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Ours dropped when we left LA (hope that helps)
Another box for Sally to tick for reasons to move back to the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:12 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think insuring her two teenage kids in the UK would cost more than the entire policy out here though.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think insuring her two teenage kids in the UK would cost more than the entire policy out here though.
I'll leave them behind.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:23 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'll leave them behind.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'll leave them behind.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, many thanks all for taking the time to share your thoughts, much appreciated.

The latest on this piece is that I’ve had a discussion with our hiring office in CA today and they have slightly improved the offer, $140k now! I was pushing for $180K+ but they cannot facilitate this however I've asked them to liaise with the premier and consider further improving the offer. Considering that they are aware of my remuneration package in Dubai, they may end up making a final offer around $150K gross, still not good enough as that’s slightly less than my net take home in Dubai.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Shop around...that's when you get best rates, if you don't, they don't tend to bother.

It's another annoying dancing game...but location is certainly quite a big factor.

Our insurance after almost 7 years is still double of what we were paying when we lived up in Maine for same level of coverage and back then it was only 1-2 years of US driving history :/
Our insurance (State Farm) has continually went down and after 9 years it's a lot less than when we first started and this is insuring two cars that we don't own.

Nicky said that when they bought a new car their insurance went down... This may be a factor as well...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding car insurance, I’ve picked a random figure and it seems it’s likely to be in the region of $2k p.a, and on the air travel piece, I have plentiful air miles with a few major airlines thanks to the premium business related travelling over the years and I think it would be enough to take a few pennies off the airfare for the next couple of years or more.

Based on the feedback, I’ve revised the expenditure estimations, please see below and let me know if this makes sense.

@ Poppy girl, I agree that Dubai is a fantastic place to live and we enjoy the lifestyle. I have no intention to desert the place for good and I will certainly be back in a couple of years if I ended-up making a move to SanF, permitting finding a pragmatic solution related to the financial aspects.

Some Folks may be wondering that I am nuts considering putting myself through this, for clarity, many of you would have first hand experience that at a management level career progression is often very subjective particularly in this neck of the woods, you’d be surprised to know that how a couple of years experience & networking in the US can significantly accelerate progression in my profession, as well, prospect of finding a desirable job in the industry for that all “cosy lifestyle”.

Revised Expenditure Estimation (per month):
Rent= $3,500
Utility Bills = $300
Telco (landline + broadband) = $20
Cell Phone (x 2) = $100
Monthly Groceries = $800
Household (bread, milk etc - day to day cash, 25x$15) = $375
Health Insurance (Personal Contribution) = $500
School Fees –Son = $0
Pre School Fees –Daughter = $400
Kids Extra Curricula Activities @ School = $200
Car Loan/Lease = $300
Car Insurance = $165
Petrol (x1) = $150
Commute to Work (Public Transport) = $40
Annual Flights Home = $375 (approx. $4500 per ann for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant)
Renters/Home Insurance = $20
Clothing Adult (x2) = $200
Clothing Children (x3) = $300
TV subscription (based on DISH packages) = $165
Family Entertainment/Dinners out = $300
Lunch at Work (25x$20) = $300
Emergency e.g. Medicines etc = $200
Credit Card Payment = $200

Total Outgoings = $8,630
Estimated Take home after Tax/deductions (based on 150k p.a gross) = $9000
Balance = $370
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you down to one car now?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by McZaki
Regarding car insurance, I’ve picked a random figure and it seems it’s likely to be in the region of $2k p.a, and on the air travel piece, I have plentiful air miles with a few major airlines thanks to the premium business related travelling over the years and I think it would be enough to take a few pennies off the airfare for the next couple of years or more.

Based on the feedback, I’ve revised the expenditure estimations, please see below and let me know if this makes sense.

@ Poppy girl, I agree that Dubai is a fantastic place to live and we enjoy the lifestyle. I have no intention to desert the place for good and I will certainly be back in a couple of years if I ended-up making a move to SanF, permitting finding a pragmatic solution related to the financial aspects.

Some Folks may be wondering that I am nuts considering putting myself through this, for clarity, many of you would have first hand experience that at a management level career progression is often very subjective particularly in this neck of the woods, you’d be surprised to know that how a couple of years experience & networking in the US can significantly accelerate progression in my profession, as well, prospect of finding a desirable job in the industry for that all “cosy lifestyle”.

Revised Expenditure Estimation (per month):
Rent= $3,500
Utility Bills = $300
Telco (landline + broadband) = $20
Cell Phone (x 2) = $100
Monthly Groceries = $800
Household (bread, milk etc - day to day cash, 25x$15) = $375
Health Insurance (Personal Contribution) = $500
School Fees –Son = $0
Pre School Fees –Daughter = $400
Kids Extra Curricula Activities @ School = $200
Car Loan/Lease = $300
Car Insurance = $165
Petrol (x1) = $150
Commute to Work (Public Transport) = $40
Annual Flights Home = $375 (approx. $4500 per ann for 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant)
Renters/Home Insurance = $20
Clothing Adult (x2) = $200
Clothing Children (x3) = $300
TV subscription (based on DISH packages) = $165
Family Entertainment/Dinners out = $300
Lunch at Work (25x$20) = $300
Emergency e.g. Medicines etc = $200
Credit Card Payment = $200

Total Outgoings = $8,630
Estimated Take home after Tax/deductions (based on 150k p.a gross) = $9000
Balance = $370
That looks more reasonable

Are you down to one car now?
Easily doable as he has changed his commute to public transport.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Easily doable as he has changed his commute to public transport.
Yes that will save a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.