Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

Old May 10th 2013, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hola or Hasta la vista San Francisco!!

We have a whole bunch of stores and restaurants less than half a mile away. And, apart from the ones on the near corner, we nearly always drive to the ones on the opposite and far corners. Why? Because crossing 6 lanes on the pedestrian crossing (twice each way to the far corner) quite frankly scares the life out of me, especially when there is nowhere near enough time to cross before the next phase of traffic lights means full-on traffic coming at you! Sure they're supposed to give way to you but that doesn't make it any less stressful!

We do have sidewalks around here. With lampposts, signs and other street decor meaning using a stroller/buggy is a PITA trying to get around the bloody things - it means either climbing the grass banks on the "safe" side or going into the road.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GeoffM
We have a whole bunch of stores and restaurants less than half a mile away. And, apart from the ones on the near corner, we nearly always drive to the ones on the opposite and far corners. Why? Because crossing 6 lanes on the pedestrian crossing (twice each way to the far corner) quite frankly scares the life out of me, especially when there is nowhere near enough time to cross before the next phase of traffic lights means full-on traffic coming at you! Sure they're supposed to give way to you but that doesn't make it any less stressful!.
My poor little brain still occasionally has issues with pedestrians having a 'WALK' light at the same time that cars have a green light to go for the same patch of road - just seems anathema to me, based on UK living.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Have you tried walking on a daily basis in 100F sweaty sack weather?

Or during 20F snow and ice infested winter?

It's not practical and even more so when you've got kids that do any school activities.
Yes, it's difficult, but people in cities do it by a combination of walking and using public transit. Of course, you have to choose a city with good public transport which diminishes your options drastically in the US. And in the 'burbs? Forget about it.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:53 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Thank you for the replies and concerns about my lack of driving! You see I would disagree with this. I gave up working 12 years ago when I had my daughter and have since spent the whole time in "stuck in a 2 mile hub"
Your situation is what you make of it. I rarely use a bus and occasionally get the tube into Central London if I want to do some shopping or fancy a day out. Believe it or not I can fill my day quite happily until my daughter gets home from school. I know this would drive some people nuts, but not me! Food shopping and any other trips are done at the weekend. I have spent a good part of my 12 years volunteering at my daughter's school and ran a Mother & Baby group for 3 years, so I keep busy during the day. I will also be looking at volunteering when we move for a few hours a week.

We have visited several towns in NJ, all of which have trains into NYC (where OH) will be working, transit busses, a walkable downtown, school and YMCA (I go to the gym every day). I am also aware that I need to consider things like doctor/dentist. I do realise that I will be limited, but I am limited now and it has not been an issue. At the moment I have no intention of learning to drive, but I will not rule it out completely and see how I get on.
It sounds like you have found somewhere good to live that you can walk around. When I lived in LA, I would have agreed with everyone on here saying you MUST have a car, however, now we live in the Bay Area I can say you can manage without one.

The house we lived in last we could walk to my daughters school, to the YMCA, downtown with restaurants, shops, cafes, the library, 3 different supermarkets, CVS, 2 parks, a swimming pool, and the train station. If I didn't work full time, I could have easily filled my days without a car too.

The only thing that would worry me, is as Bob said, the weather. I'm lucky to live in a climate where it never snows, and rarely gets over 100 degrees. However, I don't believe you have that luxury.
Old May 10th 2013, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yes, it's difficult, but people in cities do it by a combination of walking and using public transit. Of course, you have to choose a city with good public transport which diminishes your options drastically in the US. And in the 'burbs? Forget about it.
Problem with that, it usually either means you're paying a premium in rent for a downtown location, or you're sharing the bus with criminals or other people who have lost their drivers license.

We get by on one car, but I'm the one driving it and the missus is the one that does the schedule where she works, so we can work around it, but it's hard work and not very fun at all.

And I do walk loads. It's still not practical, nor very safe tbh.
Old May 11th 2013, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Problem with that, it usually either means you're paying a premium in rent for a downtown location, or you're sharing the bus with criminals or other people who have lost their drivers license.

We get by on one car, but I'm the one driving it and the missus is the one that does the schedule where she works, so we can work around it, but it's hard work and not very fun at all.

A lot of people in London don't have cars and taking public transport is very normal. Not sure if it's the same in NJ. It certainly isn't here.

Still, at the end of the day it's only for 2 years and they can probably work around it. The main difficulty might be getting a 12-year-old to activities and friends' houses.
Old May 11th 2013, 12:05 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

We use the local train often, and using the bus/train here is very popular. Loads of people use it in conjunction with their bikes to get around.
Old May 11th 2013, 12:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
A lot of people in London don't have cars and taking public transport is very normal. Not sure if it's the same in NJ. It certainly isn't here.

Still, at the end of the day it's only for 2 years and they can probably work around it. The main difficulty might be getting a 12-year-old to activities and friends' houses.
Depends where you live in NJ. From what HH has said previously...the area she wants to move to is walking friendly...as long as they are close to the town centre. As Bob said getting around in winter and summer could well be a problem.
Old May 11th 2013, 1:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Back in England, I hardly ever used the car, just cycled or walked...bit different here though.

People using the commuter train, or the underground, that's pretty normal, for downtown locations. Out in the burbs, it isn't. Down where I am, outside of commuter morning/evening hours, you'd be hard pressed to find any buses or trains running at all.

Either way. When it's freezing cold out in winter, or blazing hot in the summer, it's not fun spending more than 5 minutes out and about, especially with grumpy kids. Sure, it's doable, now and again, but daily, would be a nightmare.

Though I'm sure where the OP plans on living, if it is that walkable, probably does a decent job in winter, but decent could still mean not getting the pavements ploughed out for 2-4 days and even if they were cleared, it's pointless because you can't cross the roads because of the 5 foot snow bank that they haven't cut a walk way through, kind of thing.
Old May 11th 2013, 1:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
Thank you for the replies and concerns about my lack of driving! You see I would disagree with this. I gave up working 12 years ago when I had my daughter and have since spent the whole time in "stuck in a 2 mile hub"
Your situation is what you make of it. I rarely use a bus and occasionally get the tube into Central London if I want to do some shopping or fancy a day out. Believe it or not I can fill my day quite happily until my daughter gets home from school. I know this would drive some people nuts, but not me! Food shopping and any other trips are done at the weekend. I have spent a good part of my 12 years volunteering at my daughter's school and ran a Mother & Baby group for 3 years, so I keep busy during the day. I will also be looking at volunteering when we move for a few hours a week.

We have visited several towns in NJ, all of which have trains into NYC (where OH) will be working, transit busses, a walkable downtown, school and YMCA (I go to the gym every day). I am also aware that I need to consider things like doctor/dentist. I do realise that I will be limited, but I am limited now and it has not been an issue. At the moment I have no intention of learning to drive, but I will not rule it out completely and see how I get on.
If I remember correctly you are intending to move to the Millburn area. If so i I recommend you PM Englishmum...she will give you a pretty good idea on whether you will need a car or not.
Old May 11th 2013, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
Thanks so much for your invaluable updates. Can I ask how you found your property? Through a broker or by trawling through Craig's List? Also what reference letters did you need to provide - should I get a letter from my current mortgage lenders confirming that we always pay on time etc?
Hi, I've just noticed your note. I found the property through Craigslist but one of the BE forum members helped me with the search, without the support and advice it would have taken me much longer so I'm truly grateful for the help of that special member, and all the great folks here. I hope soon I can make time to pay my beer debts.

I had to provide employment confirmation letter and three references (name, address and mobile numbers). The landlord didn't ask for the credit check fee because he recognized there is 'no credit to check'. HOWEVER, during the quest, I was fascinated by the consistent 'landlord
experience' when dealing with various ethnic backgrounds.

Asian: the most demanding lot, except to prove that you are a human, they want to know everything so be prepared to have your life story along with your credit history/patterns and work details on you if you want to lease their house. They prefer longer lease and prefers to make periodic visits to check if their house is still in shape, so getting your deposit may be a daunting task. Also, if you have a second income/earner than its easier to lease their property. They had some of the best properties from a location perspective I.e in prime locations

Indians: They expect you to have a very good job preferably IT, Accountant, Engineer or if you are a doctor then they will treat you like royals. Prefers a longer term lease and repeatedly reminds how important it is to pay on time to avoid mortgage related complications. Their properties were the mankiest however there were a few great properties, very clean and with modern decor.

Caucasian American: It's like a visa application or dealing with an immigration officer or your in-laws, make sure you have the basic paperwork e.g. Application form neatly completed, credit report from here or home etc and any other supporting documents, neatly stacked in a file, showing that you are a responsible and trustable prospective tenant - there are exceptions though, like in my case the landlord was just happy to lease to someone who had the same accent as his ancestors. He kept on laughing and saying that he loves the accent- my wife was seriously worried!!! I found their properties very well managed and most with new appliances as well as some goodies like fresh towels, toilet paper, door mats etc.

Last edited by McZaki; May 11th 2013 at 5:01 am. Reason: iPhone!!
Old May 11th 2013, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the fact that HH was planning to move to NJ; I thought they were moving to the Bay Area Suburbs - so I can't speak to how it is in NJ. The extreme weather in both summer and winter would be my biggest concern, along with the need to ferry kids to activities (something I never did as a kid in UK, but that seems rampant here!).
Old May 11th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
Hi, I've just noticed your note. I found the property through Craigslist but one of the BE forum members helped me with the search, without the support and advice it would have taken me much longer so I'm truly grateful for the help of that special member, and all the great folks here. I hope soon I can make time to pay my beer debts.

I had to provide employment confirmation letter and three references (name, address and mobile numbers). The landlord didn't ask for the credit check fee because he recognized there is 'no credit to check'. HOWEVER, during the quest, I was fascinated by the consistent 'landlord
experience' when dealing with various ethnic backgrounds.

Asian: the most demanding lot, except to prove that you are a human, they want to know everything so be prepared to have your life story along with your credit history/patterns and work details on you if you want to lease their house. They prefer longer lease and prefers to make periodic visits to check if their house is still in shape, so getting your deposit may be a daunting task. Also, if you have a second income/earner than its easier to lease their property. They had some of the best properties from a location perspective I.e in prime locations

Indians: They expect you to have a very good job preferably IT, Accountant, Engineer or if you are a doctor then they will treat you like royals. Prefers a longer term lease and repeatedly reminds how important it is to pay on time to avoid mortgage related complications. Their properties were the mankiest however there were a few great properties, very clean and with modern decor.

Caucasian American: It's like a visa application or dealing with an immigration officer or your in-laws, make sure you have the basic paperwork e.g. Application form neatly completed, credit report from here or home etc and any other supporting documents, neatly stacked in a file, showing that you are a responsible and trustable prospective tenant - there are exceptions though, like in my case the landlord was just happy to lease to someone who had the same accent as his ancestors. He kept on laughing and saying that he loves the accent- my wife was seriously worried!!! I found their properties very well managed and most with new appliances as well as some goodies like fresh towels, toilet paper, door mats etc.
thank you for your response. We are coming out in 2 weeks time for a week to try to secure a property (need some major luck, I think) and will try to line up as many rentals to see as possible so I just want to make sure I have the right paperwork. When you say "three references" - what kind do you mean? Employment reference confirming current employment history and salary is no problem. We can try to get a letter from his previous employers for whom he worked for 6 years. I've asked our mortgage company for a letter confirming that we pay on time etc. I can print out a credit report on Experian. Is there anyone else you can suggest getting a letter from. I can also get a letter from a family friend (who is a Lord in the UK) to say how nice and trustworthy we are; as well as a family friend who is a doctor is San Fran - not sure if the last two will be of any help but no harm in having them!?
Old May 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
thank you for your response. We are coming out in 2 weeks time for a week to try to secure a property (need some major luck, I think) and will try to line up as many rentals to see as possible so I just want to make sure I have the right paperwork. When you say "three references" - what kind do you mean? Employment reference confirming current employment history and salary is no problem. We can try to get a letter from his previous employers for whom he worked for 6 years. I've asked our mortgage company for a letter confirming that we pay on time etc. I can print out a credit report on Experian. Is there anyone else you can suggest getting a letter from. I can also get a letter from a family friend (who is a Lord in the UK) to say how nice and trustworthy we are; as well as a family friend who is a doctor is San Fran - not sure if the last two will be of any help but no harm in having them!?
Depending on the landlord, you'll be asked to provide personal references, preferably folks living in the US. Anyone you know through work, pub, family friends etc should be fine. Don't be overly concerned about this piece, the landlords are only interested to establish your ability to pay the rent. None of my referees received any calls or emails however if you have the details in your paperwork then it gives them assurance that your legitimate. The core stuff is the employment and salary confimation letter, credit report, letter from ex-landlord or letter from your mortgage provider. If you really like any specific area and think that you have found the 'perfect place', I suggest take some flowers from the safeways (don't spend too much on it) when you go to view the property -it works!!
Old May 11th 2013, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
Depending on the landlord, you'll be asked to provide personal references, preferably folks living in the US. Anyone you know through work, pub, family friends etc should be fine. Don't be overly concerned about this piece, the landlords are only interested to establish your ability to pay the rent. None of my referees received any calls or emails however if you have the details in your paperwork then it gives them assurance that your legitimate. The core stuff is the employment and salary confimation letter, credit report, letter from ex-landlord or letter from your mortgage provider. If you really like any specific area and think that you have found the 'perfect place', I suggest take some flowers from the safeways (don't spend too much on it) when you go to view the property -it works!!
Great advice, especially about the flowers :-) Thank you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.