Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

HOA's and lack of white goods in South Orange County rental properties

HOA's and lack of white goods in South Orange County rental properties

Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOA's and lack of white goods in South Orange County rental properties

We're currently doing up a house to rent out. We've installed a new range (cooker / hob) and are keeping the existing fridge but we've disconnected the water supply for the ice-maker.

We also "inherited" a washer and dryer in the basement (it was my wife's grandmother's house before she passed on and we bought it from her estate and they left the appliances in situ), but both are superannuated and need to be junked. We're debating whether to buy a new washer and dryer to offer to our future tenants or whether we should just leave it up to them to provide them. We're leaning towards providing the appliances because the only way to get them into the basement is through a bulkhead and we're concerned about liability if the tenants try to bring in their own and damage themselves, the appliances or the property!
Old Feb 20th 2020, 1:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HOA's and lack of white goods in South Orange County rental properties

Originally Posted by rpjs
We're currently doing up a house to rent out. We've installed a new range (cooker / hob) and are keeping the existing fridge but we've disconnected the water supply for the ice-maker.

We also "inherited" a washer and dryer in the basement (it was my wife's grandmother's house before she passed on and we bought it from her estate and they left the appliances in situ), but both are superannuated and need to be junked. We're debating whether to buy a new washer and dryer to offer to our future tenants or whether we should just leave it up to them to provide them. We're leaning towards providing the appliances because the only way to get them into the basement is through a bulkhead and we're concerned about liability if the tenants try to bring in their own and damage themselves, the appliances or the property!
I'd look at what your local competition is offering - if you can get good rent without providing appliances then adding them will add to your cost, add something else to go wrong (or be damaged by your tenant ), and you might not get higher rent to cover the cost. Alternatively including appliances might give you a marketing edge.

Oh, and I suspect that the non-functioning ice maker is just going to irritate your tenants, leading to frequent questions and or complaints - and I wouldn't be surprised if a more enterprising tenant will "repair" it for you.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'd look at what your local competition is offering - if you can get good rent without providing appliances then adding them will add to your cost, add something else to go wrong (or be damaged by your tenant ), and you might not get higher rent to cover the cost. Alternatively including appliances might give you a marketing edge.

Oh, and I suspect that the non-functioning ice maker is just going to irritate your tenants, leading to frequent questions and or complaints - and I wouldn't be surprised if a more enterprising tenant will "repair" it for you.
They'd have to reinstall the pipe! And that would involve drilling through the tiles we've had laid.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
The one brand since moving here I've decided to stay well clear of, at least for kitchen/laundry is Samsung. Two employers have had Samsung fridges break. And whenever I visit Home Depot or Lowe's they are the brand I see some plastic snapped off.
One of our inherited fridges was Samsung, and sure enough, it started to 'ice up' inside. Several hundred $s to repair.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You realize that that $1,000 fridge is actually marked down by $400 in some sort of sale or clearance. .
True. But you can usually find some "sale" going on at some store, and you can get cheaper (GE is usually on the expensive side of the "mainstream" appliance brands, Frigidaire is generally cheapest). Anyhow my main point was that you don't have to shell out $3000 if you're willing to go without all the latest features. Agreed about Scratch n' Dent appliances.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond reputeMic1 has a reputation beyond repute

All very interesting feedback, thank you.
Old Feb 26th 2020, 10:54 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mic1
...... Just returned from a scouting trip to California to check out some areas and homes. Was surprised at the amount that DIDN'T have washing machines, tumble dryers and fridge/freezers but equally surprised at the amount of homes without HOA's. Several of the agents remarked that the lack of white goods is probably more to do with lowering the liability for the landlord ....
Sounds to me that its more tied to local market customary expectations mixed partiality upon FHA "habitable" guidelines for a property. Many areas will adapt/rely on/resort to FHA standards as a basis for the bare minimum requirements inorder for a property to be deemed fit to be lived in. White goods are regarded as personal property. (FHA standards/quidelines - Inorder for a property to be habitable, there needs to be a stove/oven. Rational, a family must be able to eat, (ie cook a meal); refrigerator is not necessary to be able to eat .... one can rely on canned goods but still require to heat up the contents etc). A dishwasher is regarded as a permanent fixture whereas a fridge and washer/dryer are not, so therefore categorized as personal property. Supply your own or negotiate such items with LL. If you supply your own, make sure that they are not to be mistaken as being improvements made to the property by you (as tenant) and consequently subject to belonging to the LL thereafter!

HOA may have covenants restricting rental properties within the community. The big issue at the mo are "short term rentals" i.e. Air B'n'B's of the world; many municipalities are trying to ban them, too. Leases commonly will attach any covenants to the lease as part of terms so that they can, in turn, enforce any infractions their tenants may have caused and been fined for. Afterall, a lease is a contract.