British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   THE HOARDERS (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hoarders-626518/)

Ray Aug 19th 2009 3:01 pm

THE HOARDERS

Anybody watch this series on A&E the other night .....

Quite amazing ... especially the younger couple

Have seen it before in the UK ..but they were
basically old and nutty ...

mamasue Aug 20th 2009 4:15 am

Re: THE HOARDERS

Yes I saw it... I thought the wierdest was the woman food hoarder..... keeping ancient rotting pumpkins on her kitchen floor because "They were very nice when they were new".
Most of the food in her fridge had turned to liquid.... but she still couldn't part with it...
It's a wonder she's still alive!!!
I'm looking forward to next week's episode... a fascinating series!

another bloody yank Aug 20th 2009 11:30 am

I've got a SIL like that. Basement stacked with piles and boxes of trash she can't part with and two garage sized sheds in the back yard filled to the rafters with the same. She's got some issues.

Dewey Aug 20th 2009 3:01 pm

My father in law has canned food in a basement cupboard from the 1980's, he washes all food containers and they sit in paper bags in the basement for ever. When he drives around the neighborhood and spots someone putting something out on the sidewalk he'll put it in the back of the minivan and call later to ask if we want it (answer: no). Last autumn he was bringing the neighbours sacks of leaves off the street. He began hoarding presumably as a coping mechanism because of my deceased mother in law's manic depression - keeping everything was a way for him to exercise control when everything else in his life was out of control, her random acts of charity, letting a vagrant sleep in the garage, spending vast sums of money via credit card on the shopping channel and getting deep into debt, the house is full of her tchotchke's. People with this problem are hurting in some way, to anyone who doesn't see the inside of his house he's a top bloke who plays football with his workmates, is active in organizing church choir and the neighbourhood street festival. I knew what I was letting myself in for when I decided to come over here to live, that my wife would never want to move far away from her parents because they need her support. Mom died in January and slowly I'm being allowed to remove things from the house bit by bit. People can hide mental anguish well.

Bill_S Aug 20th 2009 3:29 pm

A friend of ours has some interaction with someone who suffers from this disorder. That woman's obsession is paper - any piece of paper that enters her home doesn't leave. The house is packed with boxes and bags full of paper items. The deed to the house was stuffed in a bag full of expired supermarket coupons and old food wrappers; another box of trash also contained a wad of cash (the person is quite wealthy).
There's debate in the medical community about whether compulsive hoarding is a form of OCD. While there are some common elements, OCD sufferers usually know they have a problem whereas hoarders typically don't see anything wrong with their behavior, even if their home is packed floor to ceiling with rotting trash. It's a very difficult thing to treat.

Ray Aug 20th 2009 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by mamasue (Post 7859108)
I'm looking forward to next week's episode... a fascinating series!

Oh God yes ... next week even better ... she looks so normal

MandyNi Aug 20th 2009 4:08 pm

My fiance is a hoarder, perhaps not as acute as described in some of the posts here but he has lived in his house for 24 years and has gathered quite a little stash.

It's been really challenging getting to throw stuff away but he is getting better at it. He's been warned too .............. he'd absolutely better not start hoarding up the apartment in CA before I get there to control him! :eek::fingerscrossed:

SecretGarden Aug 20th 2009 4:30 pm

I saw it too and found it riveting. Those poor kids, walking over the tops of dressers and junk to get through their own bedroom!

The man who had to shower at his health club because his bathroom was stuffed full of junk---he appeared to have made some significant progress by the end and seemed to be enjoying himself quite a bit!

Without a doubt, the woman who hoarded food was the worst, and why do these people always have cats???

Yep, fascinating stuff---I shall be watching next week; Ray, have you seen previews for the next episode?

~SecretGarden

made of kent Aug 22nd 2009 3:51 am

notseen it but watched life laundry I think it was in the UK and I remember one women saying her junk formed a fortress, from the world, or something like that?

Ray Aug 22nd 2009 3:55 am

Originally Posted by SecretGarden (Post 7860903)
Yep, fascinating stuff---I shall be watching next week; Ray, have you seen previews for the next episode?

~SecretGarden

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/episode-guide/

Vicky88 Aug 22nd 2009 5:34 pm

Watched it and boy was it scary. How people can live amongst such filth baffles me. The fact that the young couple were in danger of losing their children but weren't making any move to clean up their act says it all. However, I was quite proud of the young woman, as once she got into it, she got into it in a big way. That said, she made a very telling statement in saying that no-one had taught her how to be organized. Let's face it, we learn by observing our surroundings, so if she lived that way as a child, how would she know any different?

I know this series is going to be compelling viewing.

cindyabs Aug 22nd 2009 7:18 pm

Another show that doesn't come on until 10! DOH, :frown:

Ray Aug 22nd 2009 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7867311)
Another show that doesn't come on until 10! DOH, :frown:

thats for the early birds .. I see the 3am showing

cindyabs Aug 22nd 2009 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7867359)
thats for the early birds .. I see the 3am showing

:eek:

SecretGarden Aug 22nd 2009 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7865900)

Thanks for the link, but now I have realized something. This was not the show I watched last week. I saw "Truth Be Told: I'm a Hoarder" on TLC (the woman with the "liquid food" that poster mamasue talked about earlier in this thread was on the show I watched, not the A&E one).

Next week on TLC there is "Truth Be Told: I'm Addicted to Plastic Surgery" and "Truth Be Told: I Have OCD" :eek:

Will take a look at the A & E one this week!
~SG