British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   HMRC form P85 - need help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/hmrc-form-p85-need-help-772599/)

Dazey Sep 24th 2012 7:36 pm

HMRC form P85 - need help

I'm filling in the P85 (we recently moved back to the States after 5 years in the UK), and I'm not sure of what to put for a few questions.

For instance, it asks if we'll receive any income from the UK after we leave. My husband's final paycheck in the UK came 2 weeks after we left. And we have a bit of money in an account still that draws very minimal interest (I'd say less than 5 pounds a year). But on question 25 where it asks for income details, there doesn't seem to be a way to make it clear that was a one-time only paycheck. And I'm not sure if I should put interest there, or how much to put as I don't know what the amount will be (other than it will be very minor).

Also, on question 15, it asks if we intend to be out of the UK for a full tax year. We are gone for good, but we left in June, so had been there part of that tax year. I put "yes" to the question though, as that made the most sense (otherwise it takes you to question 17, asking how long you'll be gone, when we're gone for good and putting "yes" on 15 seems to make that statement).

What should I do regarding question 25, and did I put the right then for 15? Here is the form, fyi.

redarmy990 Sep 25th 2012 2:40 pm

Re: HMRC form P85 - need help

for the uk income put no if hes not getting paid by a uk employer.

dont have to mention intrest so dont put anything

if youve gone for good then you are correct with your answer

hope this helps.
oh by the way if you get the form to them before the begging of october any refund you may be due will be paid around the 17th of october.

if it doesnt get there in time it will be not paid out until april/may.

hope this helps

Dazey Sep 25th 2012 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10299153)
for the uk income put no if hes not getting paid by a uk employer.

dont have to mention intrest so dont put anything

if youve gone for good then you are correct with your answer

hope this helps.
oh by the way if you get the form to them before the begging of october any refund you may be due will be paid around the 17th of october.

if it doesnt get there in time it will be not paid out until april/may.

hope this helps

Thank you, that's very helpful! At this point I don't think it will get there by the first of October, but we can wait (we'll probably forget it's coming by the spring, so hopefully they will send it without a problem).

Dazey Oct 25th 2012 5:19 pm

I finally am around to finishing this form, and realized there's something else I'm unclear on!

Do I need to write anything on sections 2 and 3 at all? Do I just leave them blank?

Section 2 states: "Fill in this section is you will get any income from the UK after you leave the UK." Since I won't, do I just leave it blank? Ditto for section 3, where it says to only fill in the section if we'll be working in the uk or be paid through a UK payroll, which we won't.

ian-mstm Oct 25th 2012 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dazey (Post 10349694)
Section 2 states: "Fill in this section is you will get any income from the UK after you leave the UK." Since I won't, do I just leave it blank? Ditto for section 3, where it says to only fill in the section if we'll be working in the uk or be paid through a UK payroll, which we won't.

You seem to have successfully answered your own questions!

Ian

redarmy990 Oct 25th 2012 7:24 pm

dazey you are correct leave them blank

i actually got a letter from hmrc here in usa saying i was up to date nothing to pay but nothing to come back either

i thought i would have had a little to come back but never mind

RICH Oct 26th 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10349880)
dazey you are correct leave them blank

i actually got a letter from hmrc here in usa saying i was up to date nothing to pay but nothing to come back either

i thought i would have had a little to come back but never mind

It is interesting. Because of the way tax is deducted (PAYE), it is usual that if you stop work/ leave the UK in the middle of the tax year, ie October, you will get the most back. The further to the beginning, you get less, as you have earned less and paid less tax. The further to the end of the year, the more it evens out to the correct overall deduction.

Bluegrass Lass Oct 26th 2012 2:50 pm

Is it too late for my OH to file a P85? He worked in the UK from June to Nov. 2011, and we came back to the US in Dec. 2011. Before June 2011, he worked in the US.

RICH Oct 26th 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass (Post 10351194)
Is it too late for my OH to file a P85? He worked in the UK from June to Nov. 2011, and we came back to the US in Dec. 2011. Before June 2011, he worked in the US.

No it is not too late. You can go back a few years, maybe 4.

redarmy990 Oct 26th 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10350328)
It is interesting. Because of the way tax is deducted (PAYE), it is usual that if you stop work/ leave the UK in the middle of the tax year, ie October, you will get the most back. The further to the beginning, you get less, as you have earned less and paid less tax. The further to the end of the year, the more it evens out to the correct overall deduction.

rich i was self employed in the uk.But was out of work for almost a year and claiming job seekers allowance.
i thought it was taxed but because the new tax year started in april maybe i hadnt earned enough on jobseekers to be taxed.

RICH Oct 27th 2012 4:35 am

Originally Posted by redarmy990 (Post 10351495)
rich i was self employed in the uk.But was out of work for almost a year and claiming job seekers allowance.
i thought it was taxed but because the new tax year started in april maybe i hadnt earned enough on jobseekers to be taxed.

I don't know. I thought jobseekers allowance was small enough to not be taxable in the first place, but that's based on 10 year old info. Also it does not make sense to me that "benefits" of any kind provided by the state would then be taxed.

Anyway, you can only claim back what you overpaid. You normally only over pay if you happen to stop earning mid year.

Dazey Oct 29th 2012 7:54 pm

Thanks for the help; I keep putting this darn thing off but it's time to get it out of the way!