Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hiya, thought i'd join up now i am an expat!

Hiya, thought i'd join up now i am an expat!

Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiya, thought i'd join up now i am an expat!

Not even our GC's are classed as good Id if you want to pay by cheque. And they are goverment issued..
Its mad..
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

unicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond reputeunicorndreams has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have any luck with a job yet ?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:00 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

i need to get off my arse and do it. Ive been driving all over the place so i am used to the other side of the road by now. I have an American immigration issued ID with my photo and fingerprint on it, and i used it for the first time the other day when buying beer and the woman just looked at it all freaky like!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Thackattack
i need to get off my arse and do it. Ive been driving all over the place so i am used to the other side of the road by now. I have an American immigration issued ID with my photo and fingerprint on it, and i used it for the first time the other day when buying beer and the woman just looked at it all freaky like!

I know . I tried my Gc before i had a licence and they were the same.
Its annoying.
The test will be a doddle if you are driving all over already.
Get it done and out of the way.
Then you can look for whatever job you want.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:06 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Also dry town update:

Wifes relatives came to visit at the weekend. We had some drinks and decided to go to Chili's for a meal, now i had noticed that chili's was always very busy, all the time, and thought nothing of it. Anyway, we walk in, sit down and we are the only poeple eating in there, i look into the other room which is the BAR YES A BAR!!!!!!! and the place is rammed! So i have now found out chili's is the local bar, i suppose the deal is that they are a restaurant and therefore can serve booze. THANK THE LORD!

Ironically, also i found out this weekend in the dry town i live in there is a WINERY! HA! another way to get around the law.

I was none the wiser last Friday.
And you'll probably find that it's those very same bars and restaurants that are doing their damnedest to keep the dry places dry. I'm in a semi-dry place meself...no liquor, just beer and wine. Never could understand it all, but hey ho, you learn to live around it.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:08 am
Essex boy in Texas

Thackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really niceThackattack is just really nice

yeah i see what you are saying about the bars trying to keep the places dry.
We tried to buy some tequila saturday night, 1, its a fair drive and 2, they stop selling hard liqour at 9 pm!

strange!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

yeah i see what you are saying about the bars trying to keep the places dry.
We tried to buy some tequila saturday night, 1, its a fair drive and 2, they stop selling hard liqour at 9 pm!

strange!

so how did you end up over here ?
I guess its very different right now compared to back home.
Do you miss England alot ?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by syllk
And you'll probably find that it's those very same bars and restaurants that are doing their damnedest to keep the dry places dry. I'm in a semi-dry place meself...no liquor, just beer and wine. Never could understand it all, but hey ho, you learn to live around it.

How does this karma thing work ??
Sorry to change subject.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...I need to get a dvd rom US driving test thing to swot up on. I have heard its pretty easy though.
just get the drivers guide from local DMV office, it's easy, but you should learn the drink drive penalties, that's what'll get you on the theory test, but it is a joke as to how easy it generally is.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

depends on the store, though most places and bars would take a greencard, only use i've had for mine so far
though there is one grocery store that'll only take new england drivers licenses, nay for passports because they can't verify if there fake...what a joke *l*
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
depends on the store, though most places and bars would take a greencard, only use i've had for mine so far
though there is one grocery store that'll only take new england drivers licenses, nay for passports because they can't verify if there fake...what a joke *l*

What a joke really. Coz anything can be forged.
Especially a driving licence..
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:32 am
Essex boy in Texas

I moved over here because the wife is from texas and she moved to Essex, uk to bhe with me for four years, so we sold up and came here. Bought a car and a house. here i am.

I'll try and go to the dmv tomorrow to get the drivers guide, thanks a lot for that!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by unicorndreams
What a joke really. Coz anything can be forged.
Especially a driving licence..
sad thing is, it's only to get booze, it's easier buying a gun around here
but saying that, making a fake drivers license, especially maines ain't all that hard..
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:42 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

i know, i knew there had to be a secret hangout!

Bob, thanks for the info. The insurance company is state farm and they have a photocopy of my british license so they are fine with it. They just wanted a social security number to go with it which i now have. I do need to get an american license anyway as a lot of jobs require one and yes, its a good form of ID. I need to get a dvd rom US driving test thing to swot up on. I have heard its pretty easy though.
No need. A blind deaf mute with one arm and an IQ of a petrified tree would pass first time....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:55 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically, also i found out this weekend in the dry town i live in there is a WINERY! HA! another way to get around the law.
Yeah, we've got a Whinery here too. It's called the Santa Fe Reporter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.