Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Old May 8th 2005, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Has anyone else seen the film yet? We saw it this afternoon.
I love Douglas Adams' books and was afraid the film would disappoint but it was really good (though not as funny as the book - much of Adams' humour needs to be read to appreciate it fully I think). None of the characters looked as I'd imagined them, but the special effects were great. I'm not sure how well it will go down with American audiences, though US husband is a fan. Any other Douglas Adams' fans here?
Old May 8th 2005, 12:27 am
No, it's toe-mart-o!

Chandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant futureChandler has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Me!

I enjoyed all the hitch hiker books. So much so that I think I may be forced to give the film a miss. I dont want to risk the dissappointment.
Old May 8th 2005, 12:42 am
ImHere

I love Hitch Hikers books and loved the original 80's BBC series coz it was so like I imagined the books. I want to see the film but dont care for the Americanisation of what is a quintissentially British thing. And whats with that Marvin the Andriod looking like a Mr Smash robot???? He should be big and square and bulky and morose...

Original Marvin:

American Marvin:

Mr Smash mash potato robot:

Last edited by ImHere; May 8th 2005 at 12:45 am.

Old May 8th 2005, 4:37 am
Gurning up a storm!

Location: Just moved back to NH from UK after the wife and I tried living in UK
Suffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura aboutSuffolk Bumpkin has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I love Douglas Adams' books and was afraid the film would disappoint but it was really good (though not as funny as the book - much of Adams' humour needs to be read to appreciate it fully I think). None of the characters looked as I'd imagined them, but the special effects were great. I'm not sure how well it will go down with American audiences, though US husband is a fan. Any other Douglas Adams' fans here?

I loved the original series on UK TV. But I saw the movie and thought it was a load of old gobbledeshite.
BTW Did you notice the original Marvin the android in the queue at the Vogon office?

Douglas Adams would have laughed a bit, -then pissed off down the pub halfway through no doubt.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:49 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

We went to our local Studio Movie Grill and watched Hitchiker's Guide as we glugged a large pitcher of beer and munched on burgers. The beer probably made the movie funnier than it would otherwise have been.

The mouse saying "oh bollocks" as Arthur was about to squash it made us Brits stand out in the audience though... we were the only ones to laugh, and drew puzzled looks from our neighbours.
Old May 8th 2005, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Saw it this evening.

Comparing it with the radio play, books I have read and also TV, came later.

First I have to declare my interest, Douglas Adams was 2 years ahead of me at school.

But I was disapointed in the film, expected better, but my USC wife liked it, but then she had no knowledge of the original.

And I always thought 42 was a reference to something else.
Old May 8th 2005, 11:49 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Big fan of the series (books, tv etc) but wouldn't recommend the movie unless you wanted to complete the line-up like I did. I was a bit embarassed by it, to tell the truth. I think the trailer was the best bit...
Old May 8th 2005, 12:28 pm
ImHere

Originally Posted by Boiler
Saw it this evening.

Comparing it with the radio play, books I have read and also TV, came later.

First I have to declare my interest, Douglas Adams was 2 years ahead of me at school.

But I was disapointed in the film, expected better, but my USC wife liked it, but then she had no knowledge of the original.

And I always thought 42 was a reference to something else.

42 is the answer to life the universe and everything. Now we just need the question.

Old May 8th 2005, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ImHere
42 is the answer to life the universe and everything. Now we just need the question.

What is the ideal chest size in a wife ?

As for radio version, BBC radio 4 are running the 4th series no on Tuesdays at 6.30 UK time. Pictures are always better on the radio.
Old May 8th 2005, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
What is the ideal chest size in a wife ?

As for radio version, BBC radio 4 are running the 4th series no on Tuesdays at 6.30 UK time. Pictures are always better on the radio.
True, true.

In my school year, 39 brought hoots of derision, I just assumed that 42 had a similar meaning in his.

(the school year book, The Blue Book, listed all the Teachers and No 39 was a particulary disturbed English teacher)
Old May 8th 2005, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the TV show, but so far from what I have seen of the movie, it looks like one to miss.
Old May 8th 2005, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Smile Re: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We went to our local Studio Movie Grill and watched Hitchiker's Guide as we glugged a large pitcher of beer and munched on burgers. The beer probably made the movie funnier than it would otherwise have been.

The mouse saying "oh bollocks" as Arthur was about to squash it made us Brits stand out in the audience though... we were the only ones to laugh, and drew puzzled looks from our neighbours.

Beer??? At the movies? Ye Gods - we need to move to Texas! That would be considered the work of the devil hereabouts. There were only 3 other people watching the film yesterday and the only ones laughing were us.
Perhaps we are easily pleased.... It was such a treat for me to hear so many familiar British accents, I expect I was giddy.
Old May 8th 2005, 8:17 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Beer??? At the movies? Ye Gods - we need to move to Texas! That would be considered the work of the devil hereabouts. There were only 3 other people watching the film yesterday and the only ones laughing were us.
Perhaps we are easily pleased.... It was such a treat for me to hear so many familiar British accents, I expect I was giddy.
Yeah, Studio Movie Grill seems to be a Dallas invention, and a fine one it is too! The food is better than in most "gourmet" burger bars, the beer is reasonably priced, the cocktail list is huge, the waiters manage to avoid disrupting your viewing pleasure... bloody marvellous, and I don't understand why they haven't appeared all over the country.

Did I mention that the ticket prices are actually cheaper than at the multiplex, the screens are larger, you sit in huge reclining leather office chairs and your order is beamed to the kitchen via wireless handheld computers?

Anyone want to go halves on a franchise with me?
Old May 8th 2005, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yeah, Studio Movie Grill seems to be a Dallas invention, and a fine one it is too! The food is better than in most "gourmet" burger bars, the beer is reasonably priced, the cocktail list is huge, the waiters manage to avoid disrupting your viewing pleasure... bloody marvellous, and I don't understand why they haven't appeared all over the country.

Did I mention that the ticket prices are actually cheaper than at the multiplex, the screens are larger, you sit in huge reclining leather office chairs and your order is beamed to the kitchen via wireless handheld computers?

Anyone want to go halves on a franchise with me?

Sounds like something out of Hitchhikers ! We'll definitely make Dallas a stop on our next driveabout and sample the pleasures!
Old May 9th 2005, 1:09 am
Franklin

Saw it today. Thought it was pretty good. Some new matter which was not in the original story-line, but won’t expand on that here, don’t want to spoil it for others who have not seen the movie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.