Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

hiring a car on visit to the UK

hiring a car on visit to the UK

Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:54 am
Just Joined

Ditz33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hiring a car on visit to the UK

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the best option to hire a car in the UK (or, should i say - the cheapest!)? Our previous experience of hiring cars in the UK (with US licence) hasn't been the best!
We usually want to get full cover - but we've been stung when they don't include it in the quote, but then insist on adding it on at ridiculous rates when we pick up the car.

We have US driving licenses, but we still have our UK ones too.
This summer we are moving to another country but will be spending 2 months in the UK first. Technically those months we will be homeless! We still own the property in the UK which the old UK licenses are registered to, but its rented.

So, can we hire the car with our UK licence or would we have to use the US licence??

thanks in advance
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hiring a car on visit to the UK

IMHO If you've left the US, your UK licence is as valid as your British one.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That would make sense, yes.

Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditz33
Just wondering if anyone has any insight on the best option to hire a car in the UK (or, should i say - the cheapest!)? Our previous experience of hiring cars in the UK (with US licence) hasn't been the best!
We usually want to get full cover - but we've been stung when they don't include it in the quote, but then insist on adding it on at ridiculous rates when we pick up the car.

We have US driving licenses, but we still have our UK ones too.
This summer we are moving to another country but will be spending 2 months in the UK first. Technically those months we will be homeless! We still own the property in the UK which the old UK licenses are registered to, but its rented.

So, can we hire the car with our UK licence or would we have to use the US licence??

thanks in advance
Everytime the missus and I visit England I always rent a car but I rent through the travel internet sites (orbitz, expedia, etc.). Although I've never rented for a two month period. Usually a week or two. And I use the major rental car companies (national, hertz, avis, etc.) which I pick up at the airport. If I remember right I always go for unlimited mileage. The most fun is taking a car trip through England (using only the B roads) and staying at B&B's. Every town has a Royal travel office (something like that) and the women in the place will always will know which B&B is the best in the area. Lovely.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:39 am
Just Joined

thanks. I wonder if we have to have the credit card registered to the same address as on the licence? (can't remember how it works?)
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jeepster
Everytime the missus and I visit England I always rent a car but I rent through the travel internet sites (orbitz, expedia, etc.). Although I've never rented for a two month period. Usually a week or two. And I use the major rental car companies (national, hertz, avis, etc.) which I pick up at the airport. If I remember right I always go for unlimited mileage. The most fun is taking a car trip through England (using only the B roads) and staying at B&B's. Every town has a Royal travel office (something like that) and the women in the place will always will know which B&B is the best in the area. Lovely.
sounds lovely!

Do you place the booking with a UK address and pay in GBP?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

thanks. I wonder if we have to have the credit card registered to the same address as on the licence? (can't remember how it works?)
How is this going to affect the amount you pay for insurance?
Old Apr 25th 2014, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

sounds lovely!

Do you place the booking with a UK address and pay in GBP?
I don't of course as I am based in the states, but I would think you can use a credit card that has a valid address wherever that would be.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

And the difference between a UK licence and a British one is...????
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs FB just rented a car through money supermarket.....she only paid for the basic...her visa card covers the liability free of charge.

she got a letter from visa confirming this

cut the rate in half, if that helps
Old Apr 25th 2014, 12:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I use AMEX car rental insurance when I rent a car, and it's cheap and really helps bring down the cost of renting a car when I am in the UK. However, I always wondered if push came to shove how great the coverage would be in reality. I found out last year when I was hit by a drunk driving on the M4 only 4 hours after arriving in the UK. AMEX were great, and they handled everything and I was completely covered.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
How is this going to affect the amount you pay for insurance?
I'm not sure it works in terms of where your credit card is registered etc. I find if i am looking on a UK website and it quotes in GBP, then im able to book full coverage. but when i go to book using a US site in USD, the full coverage/cost of extras isnt so transparent. maybe im looking in the wrong place.

But, if i can use a UK based car hire comparison site, pay in GBP, with a UK drivers licence, but pay using a credit card registered in the US, then im hopefully ok. i wonder if i need to pretend that my address is the UK one where the licence is registered?

As you can see im terrified of all the small prints/ways they can catch me out and charge me double when i pick it up!! (i've walked out of a car rental company office at LHR without and a car and 2 small, tired children after they tried to screw me over with a whopping 800gbp bill for 'additional' insurance)
Old Apr 25th 2014, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
Mrs FB just rented a car through money supermarket.....she only paid for the basic...her visa card covers the liability free of charge.

she got a letter from visa confirming this

cut the rate in half, if that helps
this is interesting.... i have a few credit cards... maybe i need to call them all up and see what they offer me!!
thanks!
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
And the difference between a UK licence and a British one is...????
Oooops! Of course "UK" s/be "US".
Old Apr 25th 2014, 2:51 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

I used Autoeurope.com for my upcoming trip, they seemed to have the best prices around, plus you can filter for different car classes AND insurance coverages. Full refund if cancelled before the 3 days before your rental date, and offer price matching. They also have a .co.uk site, but i found it better value to use the US site.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.