Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Old Sep 12th 2011, 4:19 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The irony of that wasn't lost on me... maybe you should write back and ask that they put this info on their website?

I agree again... they should indeed put this on thier site, when my head becomes a bit clearer I will send a email to them!!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
HERE WE HAVE IT!!

Whilst an individuals citizenship has no bearing on the validity of an individuals driving licence, I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country since leaving GB you may driving on the strength of your GB driving licence on return visits.
I notice they say nothing about the licence is required to have your current UK address on it. (UK licence).

To chuck a spanner in the works it is a separate offence if you produce the UK licence when required and the address on it is wrong. As you would not have a UK address to which a summons could be sent PACE did provide (and I assume there still is) a power of arrest in such circumstances.

So while DVLA might have answered the questioned asked, I don't think they have provided the complete answer.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes I agree and Thanks the lord we got a definitive answer, which I might add was not what any of us had suggested or thought....ie a UK license being valid even if you are not resident in the UK as long as you do not have a overseas DL ..So lol
He didn't say the driving licence is valid, he said

I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 5:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
He didn't say the driving licence is valid, he said

I can confirm that providing the licence remains valid and you have not been issued with a licence from another country.
Don't you start .....either way no smart ass got the correct answer
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Glad to see my post finally solved the dilemma (thanks to Poppy Girl's input). A sticky post sounds like a good idea

Last edited by sarahlou145; Sep 13th 2011 at 12:02 am. Reason: .
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

How would they ever know that you had another license? They don't have access to US driving records....I could easily go back and get insured on my parents cars using my British license and say that it's the only one I have......
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Ja5on
How would they ever know that you had another license? They don't have access to US driving records....I could easily go back and get insured on my parents cars using my British license and say that it's the only one I have......
True.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Sure you could, just as you could rent a car using a UK license - as some on this forum have done. The question is what happens if you get involved in an accident and the insurance company starts digging for ways to avoid paying. To me, knowingly driving on a invalid license is just asking for trouble.