Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:33 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring a car in UK on US license with old address

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Perhaps I should have been more specific then (although given the content of the original post, I don't see that it's really necessary).

A UK license ceases to become valid for driving in the UK the day you cease to become a UK resident.

Better?
This comes up all the time, no-one has yet found a link to say that your license becomes invalid the day you are no longer a UK resident.

You can't renew your picture license while you aren't a resident, but nothing says you have to surrender your license.

The site below covers the DVLA laws, along with other things. Nothing in their list of things you need to do before moving abroad says anything about giving up your license.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/Evl...sh&pageid=Home
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I have used my UK and US licence when I have changed address in the US for s few trips back to the UK they don't care I always ask "which one do you want" and they reply its up to you""......the address is not an issue, have a great trip
thanks Poppy Girl
Old Sep 8th 2011, 1:45 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
Just to throw in my 2c.....I just got a chevy cruze for 7 days from Manchester airport for 105 GBP.....They had Corsas for about 90.....I used sixt.com
Arrr but did you use your UK or US licence
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should have been more specific then (although given the content of the original post, I don't see that it's really necessary).

A UK license ceases to become valid for driving in the UK the day you cease to become a UK resident.

Better?
Then why would a rental company allow a rental driver to use an invalid license?
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Arrr but did you use your UK or US licence
I booked it from the US with a US credit card, they didn't ask for my license....I'm guessing that since they charged me in dollars that they expect me to turn up with a US license!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:39 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
I booked it from the US with a US credit card, they didn't ask for my license....I'm guessing that since they charged me in dollars that they expect me to turn up with a US license!
Bet they give you the option
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Then why would a rental company allow a rental driver to use an invalid license?
Because they are stupid and don't know what they are doing?

Much like the insurance companies that also say it's fine....only for you to find out if you have an accident that you weren't insured....
Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
This comes up all the time, no-one has yet found a link to say that your license becomes invalid the day you are no longer a UK resident.
Actually there was a link, I've been looking for it, but haven't found it yet. I thought it was in a thread on this forum but it may have been another.

The wording was to the effect that your UK license is only valid if you are a UK resident.

Still looking ....
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Jerseygirl recently had it in writing from the DVLA that if you are not a UK resident then your UK license is not valid.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=24
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:16 am

Jerseygirl recently had it in writing from the DVLA that if you are not a UK resident then your UK license is not valid.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=24
Not trying to stir the pot but you are still and will always be a UK Citizen does that not count for anything!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

sarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nicesarahlou145 is just really nice

maybe i should never have asked!!!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Not trying to stir the pot but you are still and will always be a UK Citizen does that not count for anything!!
Who said anything about citizenship? You know the difference between citizenship and residency, right?
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:28 am

Who said anything about citizenship? You know the difference between citizenship and residency, right?
Of course but still even if you do not reside in the UK, I would of thought we still have rights as Citizens thats all I am saying and asking!
It has nothing to do with knowing the difference between one or the other.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Because they are stupid and don't know what they are doing?

Much like the insurance companies that also say it's fine....only for you to find out if you have an accident that you weren't insured....
Exactly. The car rental company knows exactly who's going to be in the shit if something goes wrong: you. There's no way the employee at the ticket counter can definitively ensure that the license presented is valid, but you can be sure as heck that if you're in an accident the rental company's insurer will make very sure it is.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course but still even if you do not reside in the UK, I would of thought we still have rights as Citizens thats all I am saying and asking!
Evidently you haven't worked out that this is what this whole line of discussion is about; that even UK citizens don't have valid UK licenses if they are resident abroad - and that UK citizens don't have any 'rights' to drive on a UK license that is not valid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.