Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hillary as V.P ?

Hillary as V.P ?

Old Jul 1st 2004, 1:57 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hillary as V.P ?

Word is going around the wires that John Kerry will pick Clinton (Hillary Rodham) as his number 2.

http://www.drudgereport.com/kerryhrc.htm
VICE PRESIDENT HILLARY; SPECULATION INTENSIFIES IN WASHINGTON

Official Washington and the entire press corps will be rocked when Hillary Rodham Clinton is picked as Kerry's VP and a massive love fest will begin!

So predicts a top D.C. insider, who spoke to the DRUDGE REPORT on condition he not be named.

"All the signs point in her direction," said the insider, one of the most influential and well-placed in the nation's capital. "It is the solution to every Kerry problem."
I've seen talk on and off here about Hillary lining herself up for 4 years time, but I can't see the Democrats allowing Bush to have another term just so they can let Hillary have a run at it.

There's no guarantee that she would be a certainty in four year so I for one think this is a good choice and a good idea.

If Kerry wins in November I'm not so sure that he'll stand down in 2008 to let Hillary go for the title, but I'm sure they'll cross that one when they come to it.

Webbs.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:05 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hillary as V.P ?

Originally posted by Webbie
Word is going around the wires that John Kerry will pick Clinton (Hillary Rodham) as his number 2.

http://www.drudgereport.com/kerryhrc.htm

I've seen talk on and off here about Hillary lining herself up for 4 years time, but I can't see the Democrats allowing Bush to have another term just so they can let Hillary have a run at it.

There's no guarantee that she would be a certainty in four year so I for one think this is a good choice and a good idea.

If Kerry wins in November I'm not so sure that he'll stand down in 2008 to let Hillary go for the title, but I'm sure they'll cross that one when they come to it.

Webbs.
I thought that the VP choice was already revealed by a democrat on the Daily Show. Maybe wrong though but I thought Hillary wasn't an option.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:15 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he was going with Gephardt or Edwards?
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:50 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

He'd do a lot lot better with McCain..........
(If he'd switch party lines that is.........)
Old Jul 1st 2004, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by manc1976
He'd do a lot lot better with McCain..........
(If he'd switch party lines that is.........)
Bush will get McCain. There is a fair chance that Cheney will cite health concerns and choose not to run. The GOP will then conduct a whisper campaign saying that Bush asked Cheney to step down because he was not pleased with the handling of Iraq, which places all the negative onus on Cheney.

McCain and Bush are rivals, but they actually compliment each other well and Bush realizes that McCain would attract the so-called independents (plus they have been quite chummy as of late). For some odd reason, the public has this idea that McCain is not Republican. He may clash with the GOP every now and then, but the man is in line on most of the defining issues (he is generally pro-life, pro-gun, pro-war, pro supply-side economics etc... although not consistantly). He just doesn't like to be limited to partisan action.

A Bush/McCain vs Kerry/Hillary match-up would be quite intriguing and should put some life into a dull election cycle. It would also set the stage for McCain vs Hillary in 2008. That will be a good scrap.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:19 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

I actually think Hillary would make a pretty good Secretary of State, bombing about the world and yelling at stuffy old men who think she's dumb. But after her "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good" comment I can't see her getting the VP slot. And hse doesn't want it either so.... Kerry has a tough choice - I saw Edwards speak and he really does capture a room and you don't think about the fact he has little experience. And he's very optimistic.

And yeah, McCain is a bona fide Republican. I think the appeal for him is he talks straight, isn't afraid to tell members of his own party to shut it, and is a nice relief from the polarization in US politics right now. That's pretty much why he's been chosen to speak at the GOP convention (key note speaker no less) with Arnie, Guliani. These are guys well liked all over the spectrum. And they are oddly the three Republicans least in sync with the Bush administration. Which should tell you why Delay, Ashcroft, Santorum etc are being kept well away from the stage. These 3 are the real movers and shakers in the party - yet any GOP advisor with half a brain knows that putting these 3 hardline drones on stage would scare the beejesus out of every moderate Rep and Independant who saw them. In other words with those 3 giving the speeches then I think the smoke and mirrors act would vanish altogether.

Smart move by the GOP to have a "look we are a big tent Party!" - even to snag Democratic Senator Zell Miller to go speak. It's interesting though that people would view McCain as a Dem VP as showing bipartisanship, but Miller speaking at the GOP as a guy who isn't really a Dem.

For the Dems I'd really like to see Joe Biden get the VP. He's outspoken, smart, tells it like it is, and a very strong guy. He may stil lge tstick for that Neil Kinnock speech his speech writers ripped off but hey, not his fault.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 3:21 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been talking to my husband and other assorted Americans about the VP thing. They claim that over here, people really don't give any thought to the VP role and that the choice doesn't impact on the election in any way. I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Anyone else agree with my hubby?
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by sibsie
I've been talking to my husband and other assorted Americans about the VP thing. They claim that over here, people really don't give any thought to the VP role and that the choice doesn't impact on the election in any way. I'm not entirely convinced that's true. Anyone else agree with my hubby?
To a certain extent I agree with him. However, if Hillary were picked by Kerry, it would make a huge difference I feel as to how people would vote in November. I think she would get Kerry in, she is a smart cookie and I am sure Kerry would get a lot of womens votes, and I might add not just because she is female. As for McCain, well I live in AZ and trust me the guy is a major asshole, very reminiscent of the idiot at the top at the moment.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:31 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Some people I know in NY think the same of H. Clinton..........
Old Jul 1st 2004, 5:42 pm

You ain't kidding. If Hillary actually bothered to leave NY City and come up here she'd be ****ed and burned before the end of the day. Not a popular woman by a long ways up here. But then NY City elects people in this state, and they love her.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Oggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura aboutOggie Oi! has a spectacular aura about

The GOP is hoping for the Kerry/Hillary ticket. They see Hillary as vulnerable and a liability to Kerry, and vice-versa. It will be a chance to end both their political ambitions.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 7:10 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

Originally posted by cuckoofrommars
You ain't kidding. If Hillary actually bothered to leave NY City and come up here she'd be ****ed and burned before the end of the day. Not a popular woman by a long ways up here. But then NY City elects people in this state, and they love her.
I beg to differ about the city loving Hillary.

Although she is more popular in the city than elsewhere in the State, she is far from popular here either.

If Cheney goes on the VP ticket with Bush, the Repblicans are committing political suicide.

I do agree though that notmuch thought will be given to the VP unless people have a passionate dislike for him/her...in the case of Hillary or Cheney, that could even lose the candidate the election.

Heres the scenarios as I see them... (not necessarily in this order of likelihood)

1) Bush Wins with A.N.Other VP (Not Cheney)
2) Kerry picks Hillary and looses
3) Kerry Picks Hillary then steps down with 'health concerns' leaving Hillary in clear line of sight, then Hillary gets elected (wouldn't it be great if it happened as a direct result of a supreme court decision!!!)
4) Kerry picks anyone else and looses, leaving Hillary to run in 2008 with no incumbant to beat.

place your bets ladies and gentlemen.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally posted by sibsie
Well.... if they'd given much thought to it then perhaps Dick Cheney wouldn't be VP and maybe Halliburton wouldn't be one of the chief contractors in Iraq right now. I think on a personal level (and I watched the entire debacle of the last election night!) I was hoping Cheney's experience would counter Bush's... umm... ahem.... nice way to put it.... dumbness. In that way I could see how it would affect election results. I'm not sure, but Cheney seems to be a bit of a crook to me.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:09 pm

4) Kerry picks anyone else and looses, leaving Hillary to run in 2008 with no incumbant to beat.
I'll nominate another one too. Let's say Bush wins in 2004 (he has to - it is the Chinese Year of The Monkey for goodness sake). That would allow Reps bragging rights, meaning that they can claim that everything they've done since 2000 has been right, and everything the Dems have done is wrong. That puts the GOP in a better position to win in 2008 than they do this year. Why? No Bush or Cheney to run - who by all accounts are their own worst enemies. Reps with half a brain will be desperate to get a decent responsible President in power who can use more than two syllable words, and won't spend all the money they can find. Say Rudolph Guliani, or heavens above Condi Rice (who it seems is becoming as hated on the left as Hillary is on the right).

It also means that the all of your current important Dems will have been blamed for taking the Party down the toilet and not winning anything. So no more Kerry, Kennedy, Gore (committed to a mental home), Daschle, Pelosi, Boxer, Richardson, or imagine it, Hillary Clinton. Even the more central guys, such as Lieberman, Biden, and co will be too old and uninfluential by then. They will either be too old, or too ill to blame for the Dems being out of power for far too long. So a new wave of Dems will get their opportunities to call Republicans names.

In the interim, Reps will have the power and blaze to nominate whomever they feel like to replace the Supreme Court judges who will most likely retire next year. Scalia and Renquist are definetly going. O'Conner might jump ship too.

So it is possible that Reps may be in till 2012. At which point they'll lose by a landslide to the rather fantastic Harold Ford Jnr of Tennessee.

Oh, and by which point GWBush will have fallen off the wagon, left Laura, and will have set up his own Televangelist Ministry in Crawford Texas where he'll wax lyrical about the evils of other men's bottoms.
Old Jul 1st 2004, 9:31 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Oggie Oi!
Bush will get McCain. There is a fair chance that Cheney will cite health concerns and choose not to run. The GOP will then conduct a whisper campaign saying that Bush asked Cheney to step down because he was not pleased with the handling of Iraq, which places all the negative onus on Cheney.

McCain and Bush are rivals, but they actually compliment each other well and Bush realizes that McCain would attract the so-called independents (plus they have been quite chummy as of late). For some odd reason, the public has this idea that McCain is not Republican. He may clash with the GOP every now and then, but the man is in line on most of the defining issues (he is generally pro-life, pro-gun, pro-war, pro supply-side economics etc... although not consistantly). He just doesn't like to be limited to partisan action.

A Bush/McCain vs Kerry/Hillary match-up would be quite intriguing and should put some life into a dull election cycle. It would also set the stage for McCain vs Hillary in 2008. That will be a good scrap.
Hmmmm, I like the concept. Then maybe Bush has a cerebral anuryssim or something (how could you tell anyway??) and McCain gets the magic wand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.