Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Hilarious Expat View of life in USA

Hilarious Expat View of life in USA

Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:42 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hilarious Expat View of life in USA

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Neil, you'll probably find that most people are aware of and shared your observations at some point. They probably have even mocked these things on this very site.

It can also come across as smug and condescending, and you look like a European tool. When I came here in 1996, I hung around with other Brits and we mocked and ridiculed pretty much the same things you did.

After about six months, I realized that I was being impolite and disrespectful. I thought, if I didn't like it, I should go home. I'm not chastising you - it's understandable that you're going through this period, and the US is a foreign culture, despite the fact that we grow up watching American TV shows.

I remember thinking how ugly US cars were, compared to European ones. Now I think the reverse is true. Depending on how long you spend here, perhaps you'll undergo cultural osmosis too.

By the way, I find Top Gear and all the BBC stuff childish now. Doctor Who is okay, but the smug, undeserved superiority exhibited on British TV shows and personalities sticks in the craw. Has the BBC made shows like Mad Men? Breaking Bad, etc?
I'm puzzled. What undeserved superiority?

Not sure what you mean about cars. You never see a Renault Megane here and that is a beautiful car.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:44 pm
Banned

Neil Griffiths will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Neil, you'll probably find that most people are aware of and shared your observations at some point. They probably have even mocked these things on this very site.

It can also come across as smug and condescending, and you look like a European tool. When I came here in 1996, I hung around with other Brits and we mocked and ridiculed pretty much the same things you did.

After about six months, I realized that I was being impolite and disrespectful. I thought, if I didn't like it, I should go home. I'm not chastising you - it's understandable that you're going through this period, and the US is a foreign culture, despite the fact that we grow up watching American TV shows.

I remember thinking how ugly US cars were, compared to European ones. Now I think the reverse is true. Depending on how long you spend here, perhaps you'll undergo cultural osmosis too.

By the way, I find Top Gear and all the BBC stuff childish now. Doctor Who is okay, but the smug, undeserved superiority exhibited on British TV shows and personalities sticks in the craw. Has the BBC made shows like Mad Men? Breaking Bad, etc?
I do suspect the 'cultural osmosis' has already begun; I am equally critical and opinionated when I return to Blighty now. I don't mean to be impolite or disrespectful though - far from it - I love the natives and know they are thick skinned enough to appreciate the hum(o)r - and I do get a lot of retaliatory flack rebounding - equally good humo(u)red. If I suddenly leave the discussion forum and am found some days later in the Bayou wearing concrete boots we will know I have overstepped the mark.
BTW - couldn't agree more re. Top Gear - now cartoons of themselves.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Anywhere where's the damn blog? Some people have seen it and others haven't? As a whining European, I feel cheated.
Oh OK now I see it.

Last edited by robin1234; Sep 17th 2010 at 8:46 pm. Reason: I'll go off and read it.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Anywhere where's the damn blog? Some people have seen it and others haven't? As a whining European, I feel cheated.
Oh OK now I see it.
This just seems silly.

I found this interesting blog by a Brit talking about living in America, I thought others might like to share it. I am in no way related to the site in any way.

[edit] : I got cold feet, link deleted - Its in his profile (I feel such a moral coward) [/edit]

apologise in advance if this offends the mods and is considerd verbotten, but I think it is relevant to this site and its users. I hope as an independnet third party its OK

Last edited by kimilseung; Sep 17th 2010 at 9:06 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:58 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet mother of God, Kimilseung just went full retard.

You'll be banninated for sure. Disassembled and sent to the spice mines of Kessel.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think this one is patronising.

When my mate, Tony asked for a bottle of water in a small, middle-of-nowhere café near Casper in Wyoming (and yes ‘tumbleweed’ does exist and does do just that), he was told by a confused waitress, after a long pause, in a slow drawl, “We god waarda……we pud id in a glass”. He was then handed a pint-sized plastic mug full of tap water

You'd get a similar and less intelligible reply in Gateshead.

Why not just be glad the waitress didn't rip you off?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

he's right about the bacon tho
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Oh I didn't get that far, I'm sure he is
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:16 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think this one is patronising.

When my mate, Tony asked for a bottle of water in a small, middle-of-nowhere café near Casper in Wyoming (and yes ‘tumbleweed’ does exist and does do just that), he was told by a confused waitress, after a long pause, in a slow drawl, “We god waarda……we pud id in a glass”. He was then handed a pint-sized plastic mug full of tap water

You'd get a similar and less intelligible reply in Gateshead.

Why not just be glad the waitress didn't rip you off?
I took it as self depricating, and a nod to the waitress after such a bourgeoise request.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I took it as self depricating, and a nod to the waitress after such a bourgeoise request.
That's very charitable.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

This just seems silly.

I found this interesting blog by a Brit talking about living in America, I thought others might like to share it. I am in no way related to the site in any way.

[edit] : I got cold feet, link deleted - Its in his profile (I feel such a moral coward) [/edit]

apologise in advance if this offends the mods and is considerd verbotten, but I think it is relevant to this site and its users. I hope as an independnet third party its OK
Well I for one enjoyed it, it's tongue in cheek humor, course I'm a cynical ba***rd anyway.

Welcome Neil
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

This just seems silly.

Don't allow independents on the site. Only Dems are welcome
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:59 pm
Banned

Neil Griffiths will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Neil Griffiths
Having now gotten (sic) settled into the USA way of life, I thought I would share my list of first impressions, random observations, anecdotes, etc. – some ‘kinda’ interesting, some ‘kinda’ amusing, some ‘kinda’ irritating - but all - 'only in America' ! Some of you may recognize, sympathize, empathize.... and note already the concession to American incorrect spelling
<snip>

Lets me know what you think
A barrage of comments have followed this posting so I really need to say that the blog is intended to be light hearted and good humored and not intended to offend or be insulting, patronizing or disparaging in any way. I have been likened to 'an unsavory blend of Bill Bryson, Jeremy Clarkson and Gordon Ramsay' so please read only if you have that sort of ridiculous sense of humour (or sense of the ridiculous). I love living in America as I'm sure we all do. Please enjoy with a smile.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Neil Griffiths
A barrage of comments have followed this posting so I really need to say that the blog is intended to be light hearted and good humored and not intended to offend or be insulting, patronizing or disparaging in any way. I have been likened to 'an unsavory blend of Bill Bryson, Jeremy Clarkson and Gordon Ramsay' so please read only if you have that sort of ridiculous sense of humour (or sense of the ridiculous). I love living in America as I'm sure we all do. Please enjoy with a smile.
We're just glad of some fresh material!

Welcome btw.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:18 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by elfman
I remember having an argument with my wife (in those before she was my wife) about how she was burning the bacon, she couldnt work out waht I was talking about, and I could not work out why she wouldnt let me take the bacon off the grill. I have grown to love it now.

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't allow independents on the site. Only Dems are welcome

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.