Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Higher education options US vs UK

Higher education options US vs UK

Old May 12th 2023, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Higher education options US vs UK

Hi all - my daughter is currently just finishing up her Junior year, and we have been considering the pros and cons of her potentially going to Uni in the UK once she gets high school completed. I was just wondering if anyone's kids had done the same, or otherwise has any thoughts regarding the merits or downsides of this option (to include quality of education, student life etc. etc.). Any experience or perspective would be greatly appreciated!

As I see it, some side benefits of going to Uni in the UK would be to allow her to better connect with her British side of the family, be well placed to explore the UK and Europe and exposure to the different culture and all that goes with it. Also, it would mean that living in UK for a three year bachelors degree would get rid of the British by Descent caveat and thus would allow her pass citizenship down to any future children she may have. Of course being able to complete a bachelors in three years rather than four is also a nice plus in itself (and if she were to choose a masters as follow on, one year not two).

Downsides I can think of would include cost (I am well aware it would mean overseas tuition fees...it's doable but would mean nixing her Florida prepaid college plan/possible Bright Futures and other scholarships etc), possible 'culture shock' or home sickness, possible incompatibility of her US schooling making life harder than it otherwise might be. Also, would it negatively impact if she were then to return to the US regarding job prospects etc? (having stepped outside the 'system').

Me personally, I would love it if she did go and study in the UK as I would also move back (in fact I'm now coming to an inflection point anyway, at which I may end up moving back to UK regardless of whether she stays here in US or not). She herself seems mostly keen on the idea, but then at other times steps back from it. We are going to the UK for her 2-3 week annual trip as soon as school gets out in a couple of weeks, and I'm arranging a look at a couple of universities for her and I'm sure her similarly aged British friends and cousin will be chatting to her more about it while she is there. But ultimately it will be her choice, and I'm wary of potentially tripping her up and thus don't want to push the UK option too much, and more trying to make a balanced decision.
Old May 12th 2023, 2:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higher education options US vs UK

Another thing to consider is the more specific nature of most UK degrees - depending on your child this can be another factor. I've got a daughter who's just doing her A Levels and we've had similar conversations, she has had the choice of being either side of the Atlantic. But she knows exactly what she wants to do, always has done, and so the more general US 'common subjects then pick a major later' route just doesn't appeal to her. She wants to start studying her subject of interest immediately, and not faff around with modules that she sees as completely pointless in things she has no interest in!

Old May 12th 2023, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes....very good point - I've heard a lot about this 'changing your major' seemingly being the norm rather than the exception over here. Unfortunately my daughter, unlike yours, isn't so certain on what she wants to do yet!
Old May 12th 2023, 2:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Ah yes....very good point - I've heard a lot about this 'changing your major' seemingly being the norm rather than the exception over here. Unfortunately my daughter, unlike yours, isn't so certain on what she wants to do yet!
I think there are exceptions each side of the Atlantic, but it's just another consideration when comparing the pros and cons of each system. Mine has specifically picked 2 uni's that offer degrees where she's excited about every module and won't have to study anything she doesn't want to do. Looking at the US modules she just had no interest at all in at least the first year of them as they were very general and not related to her chosen field at all.
Old May 12th 2023, 3:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to note, there are lots of in-between options. My son did his four year degree at a US college, and did a junior year abroad in Paris - which incidentally (unplanned) allowed him to help his aunt with care for my mother a year or so before her death in Sussex. Then, after graduation, he did two graduate degrees in the UK - it’s usually good on a résumé to have academic degrees from more than one country.
Old May 12th 2023, 3:40 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

There is always going to be pros and cons either way. The country in which she goes to Uni will likely be the country that she remains in for long term for a variety of reasons. I would talk to her about that and figure out how you both feel about living in separate countries in the short term and potentially forever. I think you need to determine what your long term plans are and let her factor that into the decision. I don’t think you should let the citizenship thing drive anything, it is likely more important to you than to your potential grandchildren.
Old May 12th 2023, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
There is always going to be pros and cons either way. The country in which she goes to Uni will likely be the country that she remains in for long term for a variety of reasons. I would talk to her about that and figure out how you both feel about living in separate countries in the short term and potentially forever. I think you need to determine what your long term plans are and let her factor that into the decision. I don’t think you should let the citizenship thing drive anything, it is likely more important to you than to your potential grandchildren.
I agree. We were warned about the location of uni, I wish we had take the advice. Our daughter went to uni in Toronto, met a guy, got a job, got married, had a baby and got divorced. Now we are all stuck in Canada. Of course hubby and I could move back to the US or UK, but our only child and grandchild would be thousands of miles away. It’s not a bad life here, but our home will always be the UK.
Old May 12th 2023, 4:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
. I don’t think you should let the citizenship thing drive anything, it is likely more important to you than to your potential grandchildren.
True. Also, there would be workarounds for this in the future, too, beyond university choices.
Old May 12th 2023, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks everyone, all great points. And its not lost on me regarding that where she goes to Uni will likely shape many things for the future.

I'm like you Jerseygirl in that despite being 20 years here in US (and 12 prior years in the Army last 7 of which were overseas postings), for me the UK has and will always be home (and specifically, my Lincolnshire village which I visit as often as I can and where I still have a huge family and friends network, all of whom my daughter knows very well).

To round the story out a little further - my ex/daughters mum passed away (cancer) four years ago. I've been fortunate in that despite the divorce I've always maintained very close ties with her family and have good support here too. But personally, for a long time I've felt like I have been 'trapped' in Florida in no small part due to the sad situation (albeit if I had to do it all over again I would - uprooting her in the midst of all that plus critical school years would have been unthinkable).
Old May 16th 2023, 3:00 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dan,
We're up in Tallahassee, similar situation in the past. Been here 23 years, Retired from the Royal Navy in 2000.

We had considered having Jnr attend a UK university. Went as far as the 3 week tour of various UK Colleges, Cambridge, Oxford, Brunel.

But it the end the financial considerations were the overriding factor in him attending a US school. With the Pre paid and Bright futures plus extensive scholarships it was just crazy to throw all that away for a UK experience.
He ended up in FSU.
There was thoughts about Grad school in the UK, but again the opportunities were just too good to turn down here in the States.
He's now in Emory Atlanta studying Anesthesia.
He has to undertake a residency at the end of grad school. There is an opportunity of undertaking this in Birmingham UK. But again I think he'll take the US option.

Good luck with your daughters choices. Exciting times.

Old May 16th 2023, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by excpomea
Hi Dan,
We're up in Tallahassee, similar situation in the past. Been here 23 years, Retired from the Royal Navy in 2000.

We had considered having Jnr attend a UK university. Went as far as the 3 week tour of various UK Colleges, Cambridge, Oxford, Brunel.

But it the end the financial considerations were the overriding factor in him attending a US school. With the Pre paid and Bright futures plus extensive scholarships it was just crazy to throw all that away for a UK experience.
He ended up in FSU.
There was thoughts about Grad school in the UK, but again the opportunities were just too good to turn down here in the States.
He's now in Emory Atlanta studying Anesthesia.
He has to undertake a residency at the end of grad school. There is an opportunity of undertaking this in Birmingham UK. But again I think he'll take the US option.

Good luck with your daughters choices. Exciting times.
Thanks very much for the perspective - much appreciated. Did he continue to live at home during that time or move into dorms/with friends? My daughter seems very keen on doing the independence/living away from home college experience (wherever she may end up). Seems she would sooner not stay in Tampa (at USF). Exciting times as you say....although perhaps excitement I could do without! I'll support her whatever she does (and wherever I end up). I wish I could personally be happy here in Florida....but even after 20 years I still feel a bit like a square peg in a round hole a lot of the time.
Old May 16th 2023, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

leuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond reputeleuler has a reputation beyond repute

Son went to Oxford for BA/Masters after living in US his entire life and going to our local state schools. He loved it and is now back working in US. We know quite a few who are going to various UK unis. Of the ones we know about 50% stay in UK/50% return. Some quick thoughts:
- Cost, expensive compared to some state options, but cheap compared to US private colleges. For son, the cost was half price of MIT. All in price including flights is $35,000 - $50,000 depending on uni and course. Not many scholarships available. 3 year bachelors or 4 years Masters reduces overall cost quite a bit and board/lodging frequently cheaper due to shorter terms.
- Work, most US employers are aware of UK unis and this is not a negative - but always easier to go to college near where one wants to end up working eventually
- Internships, there are more internships in the US than UK but the term times do not line up well, which makes things tricky
- He found he was at the exact same level as his UK counterparts and no issues fitting in well. This was a little surprising as his UK counterparts had specialized earlier at A level.
- He had family availlble in UK in emergency but never needed them
- Course, helps to really know what you want to study as you need to select individual course - though like St Andrews more unis are offering foundation years to attract international students. You do not get to study anything apart from your course so if you want to take a general education this is not for you.
- UK is exam based, so helps to be good as exams.
- Student life very similar - though no NCAA sports or greek life - more pub based as all can drink legally
- UK unis treat students as adults, so they will need to be fairly independent
- Each course lists its entrance requirements - make sure you meet those. For entry - have as many AP scores and SAT/ACT scores as early as possible, so that you you will get in with an unconditional offer, which makes senior year very easy. UCAS form is not too complex to complete.

Good luck with your choice!
Old May 17th 2023, 12:52 am
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for the perspective - much appreciated. Did he continue to live at home during that time or move into dorms/with friends? My daughter seems very keen on doing the independence/living away from home college experience (wherever she may end up).
First year he lived in a dorm.
2nd one of those fancy college apartments
3rd and 4th he lived in a house near campus with two other guys.

we weren’t far away, but he was very independent
Old May 17th 2023, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by leuler
Son went to Oxford for BA/Masters after living in US his entire life and going to our local state schools. He loved it and is now back working in US. We know quite a few who are going to various UK unis. Of the ones we know about 50% stay in UK/50% return. Some quick thoughts:
- Cost, expensive compared to some state options, but cheap compared to US private colleges. For son, the cost was half price of MIT. All in price including flights is $35,000 - $50,000 depending on uni and course. Not many scholarships available. 3 year bachelors or 4 years Masters reduces overall cost quite a bit and board/lodging frequently cheaper due to shorter terms.
- Work, most US employers are aware of UK unis and this is not a negative - but always easier to go to college near where one wants to end up working eventually
- Internships, there are more internships in the US than UK but the term times do not line up well, which makes things tricky
- He found he was at the exact same level as his UK counterparts and no issues fitting in well. This was a little surprising as his UK counterparts had specialized earlier at A level.
- He had family availlble in UK in emergency but never needed them
- Course, helps to really know what you want to study as you need to select individual course - though like St Andrews more unis are offering foundation years to attract international students. You do not get to study anything apart from your course so if you want to take a general education this is not for you.
- UK is exam based, so helps to be good as exams.
- Student life very similar - though no NCAA sports or greek life - more pub based as all can drink legally
- UK unis treat students as adults, so they will need to be fairly independent
- Each course lists its entrance requirements - make sure you meet those. For entry - have as many AP scores and SAT/ACT scores as early as possible, so that you you will get in with an unconditional offer, which makes senior year very easy. UCAS form is not too complex to complete.

Good luck with your choice!
Great stuff - thanks so much!
Old May 22nd 2023, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

One point which appeals to me is the shorter time to complete degrees in the UK. However, if plan is to return to US then a medical/dental etc degree, even attained by ~23, would come with a lot of conversion exam requirements.