Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

High Street Shops in US

High Street Shops in US

Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:02 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Street Shops in US

Originally Posted by lisa67
good for you! don't forget the socks to wear with your sandals and a handkerchief for your head
Don't have any socks .....

baseball hats of course
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray

baseball hats of course
The one where you can attach a can of beer to it and suck the beverage through a straw?? class!!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:16 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
The one where you can attach a can of beer to it and suck the beverage through a straw?? class!!
This is us ...
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
This is us ...
at least you don't get thirsty while your gaitor hunting
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:10 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simmo2010
Hey! We are moving to America, Atlanta within the next 3 weeks and one thing bugging my wife is there is a distinct lack of trendy mid-priced womens clothes shops, such as River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge etc... it seems you either have to go for veg out clothes from Gap or American Eagle or pay high end designer prices from places in Buckhead! Anyone can help maybe it is just our lack of experience!?
I suppose the US equivalent of a British high street is sadly the ubiquitous mall or even a megamall.

I never shopped at any of the UK stores you mention above so I can't help in giving you the nearest US equivalents.

Target is OK for clothes but don't expect them to last too long.

As for department stores, here's how I'd rate them for price and quality of merchandise (most expensive and highest quality first):
Nordstrom (has a lot of designer labels if that is your thing)
Macys (I think they're nationwide)
Hudson Belk (NC based dept. store but have stores in neighboring states, maybe even GA)
Sears and JC Penney (although Sears does own and sell Lands End)

If you have patience, you may find reasonably priced togs from stores like TJ Maxx, Ross and Stein Mart.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:03 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I suppose the US equivalent of a British high street is sadly the ubiquitous mall or even a megamall.

I never shopped at any of the UK stores you mention above so I can't help in giving you the nearest US equivalents.

Target is OK for clothes but don't expect them to last too long.

As for department stores, here's how I'd rate them for price and quality of merchandise (most expensive and highest quality first):
Nordstrom (has a lot of designer labels if that is your thing)
Macys (I think they're nationwide)
Hudson Belk (NC based dept. store but have stores in neighboring states, maybe even GA)
Sears and JC Penney (although Sears does own and sell Lands End)

If you have patience, you may find reasonably priced togs from stores like TJ Maxx, Ross and Stein Mart.
I have found decent things at Ross. The major department stores which are regional like Filene's, Macy's, Dillards', Belk etc have acceptable clothes and the sales are a better incentive. Nothing used to make me smile more than finding "good" stuff 75 percent off, .
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm a huge fan of TJ Maxx....get all my coach handbags there, sunglasses, shoes etc. I love going through all that stuff to find a bargain..and there's plenty to be had!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catgirl
I say don't even waste your time or money here trying to find decent, reasonably priced clothes. Save your money and take a trip to London once a year for all your fashion needs.
Or spend your money more wisely - save your money and take a trip to somewhere else in Europe; you spent most of your life in UK (presumably) so don't keep going back to the same place. I try to explore a different European country every year (thought I keep gravitating back to Italy and Spain ...). England is the land of drizzle and cold ... yuk !

We have plenty of real shopping streets out here in the Bay Area, but you have to remember - the weather in Atlanta (Hot-Lanta as I like to call it) does make outdoor street shopping a challenge for much of the year.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Catgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant futureCatgirl has a brilliant future

If it helps... Wallis, Dorothy Perkins, M&S, I think Miss Selfridge too now ship to the USA.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:49 am
Just Joined

simmo2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow thanks guys n girls as I say it was probably more our ignorance than the reality and you have given her some great stores to check out! We are actually moving to Peachtree City in Georgia but arent that far from Atlanta. Which malls are well priced as we only went to one in Buckhead that was a little suave for our tastes?!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:31 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have found decent things at Ross. The major department stores which are regional like Filene's, Macy's, Dillards', Belk etc have acceptable clothes and the sales are a better incentive. Nothing used to make me smile more than finding "good" stuff 75 percent off, .
I don't have patience for shopping and I don't have the inclination to return frequently to stores like TJ Maxx to keep looking for the new arrivals.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:36 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I don't have patience for shopping and I don't have the inclination to return frequently to stores like TJ Maxx to keep looking for the new arrivals.
That's too bad, patience is a virtue. Of course, some people can afford to be impatient.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

I felt a little despair when I first arrived here regarding High Street shops - but you soon adjust, and you will find 'similar' type shops. Mind you, in the hot weather your mind tends not to be on fashion so much, you just want to wear the least you can.

You can now get Top Shop online here and also you have a Zara in Georgia

http://www.zara.com/#/en_GB/shops/Store%20Finder/
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...ntcmpid=UKHPTR
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sambapink
I felt a little despair when I first arrived here regarding High Street shops - but you soon adjust, and you will find 'similar' type shops. Mind you, in the hot weather your mind tends not to be on fashion so much, you just want to wear the least you can.

You can now get Top Shop online here and also you have a Zara in Georgia

http://www.zara.com/#/en_GB/shops/Store%20Finder/
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...ntcmpid=UKHPTR
I like your attitude... That's the only plus I can see for living in a hot climate!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I like your attitude... That's the only plus I can see for living in a hot climate!
It really isn't the only plus..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.