British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   High Street Shops in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/high-street-shops-us-594753/)

simmo2010 Mar 1st 2009 12:14 pm

High Street Shops in US

Hey! We are moving to America, Atlanta within the next 3 weeks and one thing bugging my wife is there is a distinct lack of trendy mid-priced womens clothes shops, such as River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge etc... it seems you either have to go for veg out clothes from Gap or American Eagle or pay high end designer prices from places in Buckhead! Anyone can help maybe it is just our lack of experience!?

ellimere Mar 1st 2009 12:54 pm

Re: High Street Shops in US

Originally Posted by simmo2010 (Post 7334423)
Hey! We are moving to America, Atlanta within the next 3 weeks and one thing bugging my wife is there is a distinct lack of trendy mid-priced womens clothes shops, such as River Island, Warehouse, Miss Selfridge etc... it seems you either have to go for veg out clothes from Gap or American Eagle or pay high end designer prices from places in Buckhead! Anyone can help maybe it is just our lack of experience!?

I miss high streets period. :(

There are shops like "Vanity" here in Indiana and West something that I guess are more like Miss Selfridge/Topshop back home. Old Navy is okay as well for basic colours. There's also Abercrombie and Fitch and Banana Republic.

robskatie Mar 1st 2009 2:17 pm

Some stores that I can think of that are similar to high st stores
Forever 21
H&M
Charlotte Russe
Old Navy
New York & Co
Kohls
Papaya
Target does some great seasonal clothes :)

Ross
TJ Maxx
Marshalls

BigDavyG Mar 1st 2009 2:31 pm

GAP and AE are hardly "veg out clothes" to be honest (though they wouldn't be my choice either), so not really sure what your wife is looking for.

mellybrown Mar 1st 2009 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by robskatie (Post 7334676)
Some stores that I can think of that are similar to high st stores
Forever 21
H&M
Charlotte Russe
Old Navy
New York & Co
Kohls
Papaya
Target does some great seasonal clothes :)

Ross
TJ Maxx
Marshalls

I agree with all these stores - where in atlanta will you be?? I lived by Perimeter mall and hated the shops there - they were all too high end and not for me at all - I like the malls with shoppable shops!!!!

Catgirl Mar 1st 2009 2:46 pm

I say don't even waste your time or money here trying to find decent, reasonably priced clothes. Save your money and take a trip to London once a year for all your fashion needs.

Hiro11 Mar 1st 2009 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Catgirl (Post 7334735)
I say don't even waste your time or money here trying to find decent, reasonably priced clothes. Save your money and take a trip to London once a year for all your fashion needs.

... not true if you live in a major city.

Catgirl Mar 1st 2009 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 7334741)

You're right, I'm sure.

SpoogleDrummer Mar 1st 2009 2:52 pm

Either I'm really unfashionable (which is likely) or I have a different idea as to what is reasonable. I've found stuff much cheaper here since I moved though I tend not to bother shopping much as my mom keeps a steady stream of clothes in the mail. Some of my favourite trousers I bought here are Levis that were only $20 from JC Penney, though I am a scruffy programmer/skateboarder type:p Depends on your age etc I think.

Orangepants Mar 1st 2009 4:34 pm

Express and The Limited are very similar to Warehouse. Ann Taylor Loft also is ok, bit more for work clothes though. White House/ Black Market is a bit more formal but for trendy clothes you'll find small boutiques in the bigger cities and they are a bit more expensive I agree. Take a trip to NY - fabulous shopping!
I shop in the "boutiques" within the dept stores - BCBG is my favourite. The good thing about the US is the almost constant sales - roughly every 6 weeks as they offload "one short season" as another delivery comes. BCBG have 70% off sales all the time.
I look forward to my yearly trip to Atlanta to shop. OH plays footie whilst I shop then we both make the most of the fabulous restaurants there.
IMO the US has a much more casual culture, fashion and dressing up is not the norm, apart from work of course - people turned up to our christmas party in what I would wear to do the gardening!!

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 7334741)

or have a computer!!

Ray Mar 1st 2009 4:51 pm

Walmart
KMart

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335005)
Walmart
KMart

Is that where you get your dungarees and shooting attire ??:rofl:;)

Ray Mar 1st 2009 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7335015)
Is that where you get your dungarees and shooting attire ??:rofl:;)

I only have shorts and Tshirts.. thats all we need

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335021)
I only have shorts and Tshirts.. thats all we need

good for you! don't forget the socks to wear with your sandals and a handkerchief for your head :D

Ray Mar 1st 2009 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7335025)
good for you! don't forget the socks to wear with your sandals and a handkerchief for your head :D

Don't have any socks .....

baseball hats of course

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335039)

baseball hats of course

The one where you can attach a can of beer to it and suck the beverage through a straw?? class!!

Ray Mar 1st 2009 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7335060)
The one where you can attach a can of beer to it and suck the beverage through a straw?? class!!

This is us ...

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 7335065)
This is us ...

at least you don't get thirsty while your gaitor hunting :)

NC Penguin Mar 1st 2009 8:10 pm

I suppose the US equivalent of a British high street is sadly the ubiquitous mall or even a megamall.

I never shopped at any of the UK stores you mention above so I can't help in giving you the nearest US equivalents.

Target is OK for clothes but don't expect them to last too long.

As for department stores, here's how I'd rate them for price and quality of merchandise (most expensive and highest quality first):
Nordstrom (has a lot of designer labels if that is your thing)
Macys (I think they're nationwide)
Hudson Belk (NC based dept. store but have stores in neighboring states, maybe even GA)
Sears and JC Penney (although Sears does own and sell Lands End)

If you have patience, you may find reasonably priced togs from stores like TJ Maxx, Ross and Stein Mart.

cindyabs Mar 1st 2009 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 7335453)
I suppose the US equivalent of a British high street is sadly the ubiquitous mall or even a megamall.

I never shopped at any of the UK stores you mention above so I can't help in giving you the nearest US equivalents.

Target is OK for clothes but don't expect them to last too long.

As for department stores, here's how I'd rate them for price and quality of merchandise (most expensive and highest quality first):
Nordstrom (has a lot of designer labels if that is your thing)
Macys (I think they're nationwide)
Hudson Belk (NC based dept. store but have stores in neighboring states, maybe even GA)
Sears and JC Penney (although Sears does own and sell Lands End)

If you have patience, you may find reasonably priced togs from stores like TJ Maxx, Ross and Stein Mart.

I have found decent things at Ross. The major department stores which are regional like Filene's, Macy's, Dillards', Belk etc have acceptable clothes and the sales are a better incentive. Nothing used to make me smile more than finding "good" stuff 75 percent off, :) .

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 10:09 pm

I'm a huge fan of TJ Maxx....get all my coach handbags there, sunglasses, shoes etc. I love going through all that stuff to find a bargain..and there's plenty to be had!:)

Steerpike Mar 1st 2009 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Catgirl (Post 7334735)

Or spend your money more wisely - save your money and take a trip to somewhere else in Europe; you spent most of your life in UK (presumably) so don't keep going back to the same place. I try to explore a different European country every year (thought I keep gravitating back to Italy and Spain ...). England is the land of drizzle and cold ... yuk !

We have plenty of real shopping streets out here in the Bay Area, but you have to remember - the weather in Atlanta (Hot-Lanta as I like to call it) does make outdoor street shopping a challenge for much of the year.

Catgirl Mar 2nd 2009 1:41 am

If it helps... Wallis, Dorothy Perkins, M&S, I think Miss Selfridge too now ship to the USA.

simmo2010 Mar 2nd 2009 7:49 am

Wow thanks guys n girls as I say it was probably more our ignorance than the reality and you have given her some great stores to check out! We are actually moving to Peachtree City in Georgia but arent that far from Atlanta. Which malls are well priced as we only went to one in Buckhead that was a little suave for our tastes?!

NC Penguin Mar 2nd 2009 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 7335721)
I have found decent things at Ross. The major department stores which are regional like Filene's, Macy's, Dillards', Belk etc have acceptable clothes and the sales are a better incentive. Nothing used to make me smile more than finding "good" stuff 75 percent off, :) .

I don't have patience for shopping and I don't have the inclination to return frequently to stores like TJ Maxx to keep looking for the new arrivals.

another bloody yank Mar 2nd 2009 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by NC Penguin (Post 7337671)
I don't have patience for shopping and I don't have the inclination to return frequently to stores like TJ Maxx to keep looking for the new arrivals.

That's too bad, patience is a virtue. Of course, some people can afford to be impatient.

sambapink Mar 2nd 2009 1:58 pm

I felt a little despair when I first arrived here regarding High Street shops - but you soon adjust, and you will find 'similar' type shops. Mind you, in the hot weather your mind tends not to be on fashion so much, you just want to wear the least you can.

You can now get Top Shop online here and also you have a Zara in Georgia :thumbsup:

http://www.zara.com/#/en_GB/shops/Store%20Finder/
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...ntcmpid=UKHPTR

another bloody yank Mar 2nd 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 7337710)
I felt a little despair when I first arrived here regarding High Street shops - but you soon adjust, and you will find 'similar' type shops. Mind you, in the hot weather your mind tends not to be on fashion so much, you just want to wear the least you can.

You can now get Top Shop online here and also you have a Zara in Georgia :thumbsup:

http://www.zara.com/#/en_GB/shops/Store%20Finder/
http://www.topshop.com/webapp/wcs/st...ntcmpid=UKHPTR

I like your attitude...;) That's the only plus I can see for living in a hot climate!

sambapink Mar 2nd 2009 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 7337756)
I like your attitude...;) That's the only plus I can see for living in a hot climate!

It really isn't the only plus.. ;)

Giantaxe Mar 2nd 2009 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by ellimere (Post 7334487)
I miss high streets period. :(

That's 'cos they're called Main St's here :p

cindyabs Mar 2nd 2009 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 7337783)
That's 'cos they're called Main St's here :p

there is that minor detail, :lol:

paddingtongreen Mar 2nd 2009 5:08 pm

Victoria's Secret dresses some women up nicely.

sambapink Mar 2nd 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen (Post 7338166)
Victoria's Secret dresses some women up nicely.

And how would you know.. ;)

Have to say it's one of my favorites :)

paddingtongreen Mar 2nd 2009 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 7338225)
And how would you know.. ;)

Have to say it's one of my favorites :)

What, you think I'm a friggin eunuch?

Englishmum Mar 2nd 2009 7:03 pm

Well.....next month "Top Shop" is coming to New York City -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...e-philip-green

I have a nightmare trying to find clothes that I like as I'm only 5' 2" in height. I love Zara (Spanish chain) and Anthropologie (although it's expensive) but even here in the US it's hard to find fashionable petite sizes...:(

I'm off to Singapore tomorrow for a couple of months (to rejoin my lovely husband) but the clothes there are very expensive as everything is imported, although they do have Top Shop, Warehouse, Dorothy Perkins etc.....and best of all quite a few Marks & Spencers stores selling clothes, accessories, food, wine....and Percy Pigs..! :D

If you go into an Asian clothing shop and want to try something on to see if it fits, it is extremely common for the shop assistant to tell you that you can't because you're 'too fat'...:lol: (I'm a US size 6 and some brands an 8) They also like to follow you around in case you might be a shoplifter...:rofl:

I miss Boots, Next and Argos.

Bill_S Mar 2nd 2009 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 7338490)
I have a nightmare trying to find clothes that I like as I'm only 5' 2" in height. I love Zara (Spanish chain) and Anthropologie (although it's expensive) but even here in the US it's hard to find fashionable petite sizes...:(

Mrs Bill is 5' 10" and can't find fashionable tall sizes in stores...
she buys a lot of clothing from the Talbot's catalog.

Octang Frye Mar 2nd 2009 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bill_S (Post 7338702)
Mrs Bill is 5' 10" and can't find fashionable tall sizes in stores...
she buys a lot of clothing from the Talbot's catalog.

Wow, it's been a long time since I bought clothes from stores like River Island and Next. Heh heh. As we were talking about population density, PG, I think that factor is in play here, too.

People buying naff clothes. Bleurk... Conform. Conform. What do the tabloids tell me is cool? No thanks.

To the OP, this move'll be good for you.

Mallory Mar 2nd 2009 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 7338715)
Wow, it's been a long time since I bought clothes from stores like River Island and Next. Heh heh. As we were talking about population density, PG, I think that factor is in play here, too.

People buying naff clothes. Bleurk... Conform. Conform. What do the tabloids tell me is cool? No thanks.

To the OP, this move'll be good for you.

I was thinking the same thing, leave "the Joneses" in the UK.

Bob Mar 2nd 2009 9:28 pm

Depends on how much of a slapassho you want to dress as I suppose :D

AF, AE, shite scrubbing homeless wear.

But anyway-

Aeropostale
Aldo
Anthropologie
Banana Republic
bebe
Betsey Johnson If you want to look like a colourblind wasak
Chico's